eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

eCRATER launches in United Kingdom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elisia wrote:
So, has ecrater or has Google checkout done something different?

No. You have always had he ability to sell to UK buyers, provided that they are willing to pay in USD (and that you have enabled UK shipping in the matrix). That does not get you listed in the GB/GPS UK section tho.

The UK eCrater store is all about selling in GBP and having your product appear in the GB/GPS UK section. Getting it listed is easy. Having an acceptable path for the GBP payment is the tricky part.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
elisia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Attention Ecrater Gods/Programmers Reply with quote

Luckily I understood all ecrater has done regardin UK months ago until yesterday.

I really despise paying to refund order, however. May not seem like much, but after a while the .30 adds up.

Wondering, again, if anyone else has experienced this new phenomenon or if Erater Gods can step in here to explain. Is it a temp glitch..I really don't want to turn of UK...they are such nice buyers.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sold your item through your US store apparently which meant your UK buyer could use GCO. This is not new. This was part of how we could make international orders before we had the UK stores. You apparently have international shipping set up in your US store which is all it takes to get a foreign order. That is all it takes. To have a UK store, you pretty much have to take PP and you WILL be paid in GBP not US dollars although PP will convert it for you. It does show as GBP on your PP site and PP shows all the numbers it used to convert the money.

With your US site you have always had the option for foreign buyers to pay using either PP or GCO but the money is paid using US dollars. Just because you had someone buy from the UK doesn't mean they used the UK store. Have you even signed up for the UK store?

I sell lots through my UK store, and NONE of the payments come through GCO. Yours had to have been through your US store.
elisia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often sell to the UK and NONE of my payments came through GCO before yesterday.

And yep, I've even signed up for the UK store. A big promoter of the program.

This has never happened before.

I'll just wait for ecrater programmers to check in. Apparently no one else has experienced a GCO from another country.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to post something similar to Moonwishes--glad I read the thread again! You will not get paid in dollars from your UK store. You don't offer PayPal, so your UK buyers can only choose money orders, checks, etc.

As far as the matrix issue goes, that's nothing new. If an item cannot be calculated through the matrix, it will show free shipping, like your heavier items in your UK store are showing.

Now, if you move the heavier items into separate categories, you could run the global editor on those categories and take them out of the UK store altogether.

Edited to add - Sorry we're no help. Moving on!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had plenty of GCO from other countries. Just had one from the UK today. You get paid in US dollars with GCO. I don't understand why you think the sale was through your UK store though. It sounds like it was through your US store especially since you say GCO isn't listed as an option in your UK store. If you have GCO as an option in your US store and sell to international sites, then GCO will take the money.

Perhaps I'm totally confused, but I don't understand your problem or why you would be thinking of refunding the person. Your sale didn't go through your UK store but your US store. Sounds like you had a problem with your shipping matrix or calculated shipping which needs fixed. If you don't want to ship because you didn't get any shipping money, then you have to decide to take your licks and ship anyhow or cancel the order since on ecrater you can't charge a person more than what their invoice shows.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

Perhaps I'm totally confused, but I don't understand your problem or why you would be thinking of refunding the person.

I think it was because no shipping was charged. Many sellers are successful with telling international buyers to wait for an invoice so that shipping can be added, but I just know that my first one would check out and get free shipping--that's my luck! So I got all mine in the matrix so that they would be charged. I mean no disrespect to anyone but I guess I just like things more "automated" so that anyone, here or abroad, can just check out and pay.

I'm not in the GCO discussion at all because I'm still just PP only.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WT--Mine is all set in the matrix too and was before the UK stores came into the picture. Once I understood how to set up my UK store, it took less than a minute as I didn't have to change or fiddle with shipping. I take GCO and PP in the US store, but can't take GCO in the UK store because I don't have a UK bank. But you can definetly get paid for foreign transactions through GCO through your US store. Like I said, I had one today, a nice multi item order Very Happy So just because you get a UK mailing address order through GCO doesn't mean they came through your UK store. It means they came through the US store. I suppose it can get confusing if you don't get a lot of foreign orders, but about 25% of my orders are international so I either figured it out or closed up shop! I do get most of my UK orders through the UK store, but I still get a significant amount through the US store as well as getting the occassional US sale through the UK store. I don't care where the come from as long as they come! Very Happy
elisia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I take GCO and PP in the US store, but can't take GCO in the UK store because I don't have a UK bank. But you can definetly get paid for foreign transactions through GCO through your US store. I don't care where the come from as long as they come! Very Happy

So, originally when they said you GCO would not work in you USA store because you do not have a UK bank account for the funds to go in to IS NOT TRUE. So, at what point does selling become easy? When will EC permit us to set up a shipping matrix for under one pound (as I have now) and over one pound? It is the only way I can see this working. How does everyone else offer a shipping rate on items that weigh less than 1 pound and the matrix is set up for over 1 lb increments.

I agree...don't care where it comes from. Smile
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elisia wrote:

So, originally when they said you GCO would not work in you USA store because you do not have a UK bank account for the funds to go in to IS NOT TRUE.

I had not heard that. I had only heard that GCO would not work in your UK store if you don't have a UK bank account. But like I said, I don't use GCO, so maybe I missed what you heard.
Quote:

How does everyone else offer a shipping rate on items that weigh less than 1 pound and the matrix is set up for over 1 lb increments.

For your store, it would be a challenge because 1) you have a wide variety of weights and 2) you have so many items already listed that would need to be edited if you tried to change anything. The matrix has been very difficult for those with both lightweight items like stamps and heavy things like glassware.

The only UK suggestion I can make, and this depends on your having accurate weights in all your listings, is to use the USPS calculator for the UK store and your fixed shipping in your US store. It is possible to do that, but if you don't already have the correct weights on all your items, that is one ginormous editing job!

Good luck and I hope you work out a solution! Smile
Becky

Last edited by wtcollectibles on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, originally when they said you GCO would not work in you USA store because you do not have a UK bank account for the funds to go in to IS NOT TRUE.

I think you are confused. Since I set up my store here on ecrater (I live here in the US), like many other sellers I signed up for GCO. GCO has always worked in our US stores and for international sales as well (although I'm not sure they will take payments from all the countries that PP does). No problem, and I have been receiving payment through them for sales in my store for both US and international sales for several years. When the UK stores opened up for us, we could and still can only use PP unless you have a UK bank account to accept GBP through GCO(this is in regards to the UK stores ONLY). Most of us don't have a UK bank so we can only take PP for our UK stores.

Having a UK store doesn't mean that we still can't get UK buyers that come in through our US store and they can pay for their item through GCO. No changes there. The problem with the UK stores is that payment HAS to be in UK dollars and payment made to us in UK dollars. PP will convert the money for us. For some reason GCO won't do that so you can't offer it at all on our UK stores. So if you get a sale from someone in the UK and they pay through GCO, you know that they found you through your US store and bought the item there, not your UK store. GCO is turned off in your UK store.

Quote:
at what point does selling become easy

Selling will always be work, but the basic are fairly easy after you understand it all.

Quote:
When will EC permit us to set up a shipping matrix for under one pound (as I have now) and over one pound?
The matix can be set up anyway you want. I have mine set as number of items purchased. I don't set it up by weight except for knowing what the average wieght of one item is (I sell mostly sewing patterns so this is easy for me), the average weight of two items, etc. If you have a large variety of weight and types of items, this is where people can have real difficulties. Some decide to have more than one store, so that the items in one store all fall under the same types of weights.

I don't know what you sell, but I wouldn't sweat the ounces on the matrix. The difference to ship something that is one ounce and something that is two ounces is barely discernerable. Have everything up to say 4 oz as your first price on your matrix, 8 oz the next, etc. which can eventually take you up to several pounds. So if someone buys something that weighs 2 pounds and something that weighs 4 ounces the weight should come out at whatever the nearest shipping price to 2#4oz (most likely 2 1/2#). It is easy to check the USPS for the international prices for those weights so you are sure that as you add more things into your total you get the proper shipping amount. Don't forget to round up! Much easier to charge $2.50 than $2.13.
elisia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I thought I knew just what to do with that matrix...and decided ounces would be the way to go, as was suggested by someone else years ago.

Got alot of work to do on my matrix...but it can work. with ounces through pounds, just need to get that cost in there.

And the rest makes sense too! I'm sure others already understood this UK thing, or maybe not. So, this person came in to my store some other way other than EC UK. Makes sense. I only began selling big time in the UK after the addition.

Thank you, MWS!
fossilivory

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 'Global Editor' as advised, but 2X's when payment was made from United Kingdom buyers to PayPal the amount in US dollars is quite a bit less than listed.

For instance, I received in USF $15.50 for a $24.99 item and NO payment for shipping!

The 0.62 exchange rate does not pay the listing price in US Dollars!.

I have sold before to other countries with no problems until I used the 'Global Editor' option!

Also the shipping was left off from the PayPal payment, I have sent emails to the buyers email accounts, but have not heard back.

I am now trying to remove any changes I have made, to my account, which has taken me a part of 2 days!

I now need to fiqure out how to cancel the 2 sales and hope I do not receive negative Feedback!

I hope I can get this fixed! Confused
[/b]
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you closed your UK store, we can't look to see what might have happened. If I had to guess, I would say maybe you ran the global editor with the + instead of the * which has happened a lot to other sellers because it's so hard to see; but there is no way to tell without being able to see your store.

Every item of yours that I clicked on in your US store showed a shipping amount for the UK, so it looks as if that it set up correctly. I hope you do have the matrix filled in for a backup to the USPS calculator? If the calculator times out, the system goes to the matrix for the backup amount; if there is nothing in the matrix, the buyer is charged $0.00. That could have caused your shipping problems.

I can only assure you that the global editor worked fine for me, my prices are correct, my shipping charges what it is supposed to charge. I'm not saying that to irritate you, but to point out that if there were a big glitch in the editor or the checkout system, it would be affecting everybody and the forums would be on fire.

Edited to add - I just multiplied $24.99 x 0.62 and it does equal 15.50 GBP. So it sounds as if you received the correct amount. Keep in mind that PayPal only shows the amount in GB pounds and not in dollars on your order; but you will get the right amount when it is converted to dollars.

Except for the shipping snafu, I believe your UK store was working fine and you may have misread your orders.

Hope you get it figured out! Please come back and give us an update.
Becky
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going along with what Becky wrote, You need to actually go to PP and click the details link on the line with the UK payment. You will see your order and the prices charged in GBP. To know exactly what was paid for your item in US dollars, you need to multiply the current exchange rate that PP USED that day times the price of your item in GBP to see what you get in US dollars. As Becky said, it looks like you were paid correctly. To see what you were paid for shipping and PP fees, you need to multiply those figures by the PP exchange rate also.

Please note that the exchange rate fluctuates daily and PP uses whatever is current, so to get accurate figures you have to look at what it was so you can do your own bookwork correctly. Currently I think your exchange rate is a tad low. I have mine set for 0.65 and that seems to handle the daily changes in the rate and the higher fees that PP charges for the exchange. The amount you get after the exchange will always be a bit higher or lower than what you are charging on your US site. To prevent the lower payment, be sure your GBP rate is set high enough, thus the 0.65.

I suspect your shipping problem is as Becky said. If there is any way you can bite the bullet and ship you should. Then be sure your matrix is correct for the next time you get a UK store order.

About 25% of my orders are through the UK site and I've had no problems with my shipping amounts, but then I'm strictly matrix all the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: