eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Question: Yahoo Domain Name Special

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Question: Yahoo Domain Name Special Reply with quote

Yahoos domain name special is about to end ($1.99/1st year) and since I enjoy a bargain I would like to buy a name. Rolling Eyes

I want to use my new domain name on the freewebs.com site but cant see anything on the Yahoo page that mentions buying a domain name and taking it somewhere else. Confused Has anyone use Yahoo for their buying their domain name and then moving it to another site?

Perhaps I am making this more difficult than it is but would be appreciated any information as I have no idea of what I am doing!!! Embarassed

joyce
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Buytime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can purchase the domain then forward (Point) it to whatever site you want it to lead to.
I also have a domain through yahoo and do that exact same thing.

Kenny
dancingwithbooks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rainy, I think the offer for $1.99 on domains is only if you purchase another of their products, like hosting too. I don't think you can just get the domain alone for that price. If someone knows more, please post.
regards,
dancing
wahm922

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read it was that price for the first year the nafter that it goes way up. Just double check the terms so you know what you are gettig yourself into Wink

I've purchased and renewed all my domains (about 6 now) at godaddy and have been very happy with their service!
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love GODADDY 24/7 customer service by phone and they don't hang up until you got your answers!

BUT

godaddy wont' work with a zencart - without jumping though hoops. Yes, I have had to switch from a windows server to a linux server - that went fine. but it still won't work!
ljstores

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you buy a domain and want it transferring to another hosting company you need to find out how much it costs before you buy it if you think there might be a need to transfer in the future, sometimes the company you are currently hosting with and the company you intend to host with BOTH charge a fee.

my hosting company http://webmasters.com doesn't charge for transferring domains but I have one domain with someone who does, so I am letting it expire and then I intend to pick it up with my new company or otherwise I would have had to pay 200 POUNDS to get it from where it is now. (the name is obscure so i know noone wil snipe it before I do Laughing )
webmasters charge $9.95 a year for their domains but you get it free if you host with them.......... business hosting is $109.00 a year and the most excellent service. emails are answered sometimes emmediately maximum ive waited has been 2 hours. Or you can call

LJ
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I am letting it expire and then I intend to pick it up with my new company or otherwise I would have had to pay 200 POUNDS to get it from where it is now. (the name is obscure so i know noone wil snipe it before I do )

You do realize that it won't because available to repurchase immediately. After so many days it goes to an auction domain company and then if not sold there it then goes back into play.
Had a friend that thought they could just turn around and rebuy their domain name someplace else after it expired - took them 18 months to be able to get it at the"normal" domain prices.
JewelryDesignsByCher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to use my new domain name on the freewebs.com site but cant see anything on the Yahoo page that mentions buying a domain name and taking it somewhere else. Has anyone use Yahoo for their buying their domain name and then moving it to another site?

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be Razz ) FancyFlappers has a yahoo domain name that she transferred to her 50megs site, and I think she got the 1.99 special. Maybe she'll stop by and see this & have an answer for you ... I think she's been busy doing poshpoints lately, lol ~ but she doesn't usually stay away for long.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainyDay:

Freewebs says they can transfer a domain, check their FAQs, they can tell you what they need to transfer and what the cost is for domain name transfer, if any.

I agree, though, I do love GoDaddy. Lots of ads, but customer service really is top notch!

Yahoo Small Business is not a registrar, just a reseller for Melbourne ITT. I've read alot about hassles getting your domain name transferred because Melbourne & Yahoo play ping pong as far as who can accomplish the transfer. Yahoo says you have to contact Melbourne for the info, Melbourne says contact Yahoo. Bad service!

I'd go ahead and sign up with your domain name transfer with whichever company you decide to use ASAP. They'll tell you what they need from Yahoo. Be prepared to hassle with Yahoo/Melbourne, and from what I've read, after some people got tired of the runaround, they threatened to file an ICANN complaint. Transfer was done ASAP after they said that....something to keep in mind.

Before you start, though, go into your Yahoo control panel and make sure you've chosen unlocked and keep your privacy settings open. If by some chance you do lose your domain name because it expires during the interim, check GoDaddy for their expired domains monitor, it's not cheap ($18.95) but they will monitor your chosen name til the grace period expires and notify you that the name is coming available. Very valuable if it's a name you or your customers are very familiar with, especially with all the domain name auctions going on out there.

Also keep in mind that cheap is not always better, and you are better off registering wherever you go for 2 years minimum. The search engines are less trustful of 1 year registrations - at $1.99 a year, spammers can put up tons of sites. If they see you are registered and firmly committed to a domain name for a longer period of time, that can shorten your time in the Google sandbox, etc. and help get higher SE rankings sooner.

Once you have the domain transfer info, setting it up is a real snap, easy to do, and you can redirect it to your freewebs site.

Hope that helps.
ljstores

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:
so I am letting it expire and then I intend to pick it up with my new company or otherwise I would have had to pay 200 POUNDS to get it from where it is now. (the name is obscure so i know noone wil snipe it before I do )

You do realize that it won't because available to repurchase immediately. After so many days it goes to an auction domain company and then if not sold there it then goes back into play.

yes its 75 days i think

LJ
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I will forego the $1.99 special from Yahoo and go elsewhere. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful information!! Very Happy

joyce
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyce, if GoDaddy sounds okay to you then keep an eye on their website because they run domain specials all the time. I'm not sure if they've done $1.99 but they've been pretty close..
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Godaddy domain transfer prices and features here:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/charts.asp?app%5Fhdr=&ci=1414
dancingwithbooks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
oh, yes, I think I got confused, it is godaddy that has the $1.99 sale with any other non domain purchase. thanks you guys,
later,
dancing
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: