eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Am I the only seller who loses things?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Am I the only seller who loses things? Reply with quote

I have spent the day searching for an item and while I still can't find it, I have now discovered that it is one of 5 listings in that category that is not there.

I went through 12 pages of order listings to make sure it hadn't been sold already....No.

I had already gone through all my boxes and shelves....No.

Then I went to the category and realized that in my searches I had come upon 2 of the 7 items that should have been with it. That is a lot of missing items. That is a small box full. Not like a missing pair of earrings.
The non-missing items are where they should be.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, happens to me about once a month. Some of my inventory is 10 years old. I keep very good records, but 10 years is a long time to not make any errors in bookkeeping.

One trick I've leaned is to take pictures of the contents of boxes which are particularly hard to dig back to. Then, when I can't figure out where something obscure is, I just scan the images and ... boom, there it is !
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it happen sometimes. I've found one easy item that helps locate the history of the lost item. I use both Yahoo Mail and Hotmail.com . I save all commerce emails and it is very easy to search for the saved data. A few years ago the storage capacity at these sites was limited but they are no longer cramped f or space.

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was just the one item missing I would put it down to losing it, forgetting that I had donated it or given it as a gift and forgetting. But the fact is that with almost the whole category missing when the remaining few are where they should be doesn't make any sense.

Even in my small space I am fairly organized. Categories that take up more than one box are labeled on the outside of the box as to what item numbers are in the box. It's not like I have a spare room with everything just tossed in.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I the only seller who loses things?

not sure if I lost it
or if my store and spreadsheet are screwed up - LOL

stuff I listed before the qty box and inventory control
USED to hide on ecrater when sold. Then it changed (without notice) and didn't hide as it is now used for unlimited
well as a result I have items that I sell and they don't disappear. Which I don't realize until it sells again
HOWEVER,

Just yesterday I sold a shirt, it was on ecrater said 1 in the qty box (even after the sale) and my spreadsheet that I have to look at that shows how many I have, cost and where the item is located - it also showed one. So I go to Bin 34 and it's not there! Now, my ceiling light bulbs are out in the area, so it's dark, (I can't get on a ladder to change them) so I carry the bin to another room (not easy with a crutch and screwed up knee) and nope it's not there.
I just refunded it as there was no way I was carry more bins back and forth. It's got to be there somewhere as I know I didn't steal it!

If I lost a how category ... I'd be pulling out my hair!
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now spent 12 hours searching for this $8 item. If it were only the one item, I would have refunded hours ago but it is that almost all items in that category are missing and one was only listed in the past 2 months. The creepy thing is that the last item was one of two listed the same day and the other one is where it should be. Crazy as I might be at times, it is really not like me even during a senior moment to pick up one item, put it away and leave its twin sitting.

At least I got 2 boxes resorted and relabeled but not a sign of the missing items.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can unlisted the missing items in the bad category and wait a few days to see if the items show up?

Periwinkles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to me too. What really makes me made is that I refund the money and then a little later I find it.
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happened to me. Since I sell jewelry, it's mostly little pieces that I have tried to store by type in gallon size plastic bags. But, being disorganized, pieces often end up in the wrong bag. Then, it takes forever to go through all the pieces. The last thing I lost was a ring. Found it about a month after I cancelled the sale.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I refunded the buyer. He was nice about it but I still haven't found the item.

My jewelry is pretty well organized but I gave up on the large plastic bags long ago. All the jewelry is individually wrapped and then sorted by type into plastic containers that are labeled as to whether it contains pins, bracelets or what. It still can be time consuming to sort through all the pieces when you have a lot.
goldfashionmine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes!

it's a joy when you find it.

it's like 'YES!!!!!!'
i got it!

Smile

good idea about taking pics of the contents inside the box. maybe i should do that later. but how do you take a picture of everything in it (depth)?
i have deep boxes. i don't like the clear ones anymore because they look messy. the solid colored ones are nice, but i can't see through them...

i put post-it's on my boxes but then they fall off as you move boxes around Smile
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not by a long shot Maggie. It's a monthly thing almost. I thought I'd straightened it out, but someone orders something that I listed when I first started and I search forever. Then there are the re-measuring items that I fail to put back in the original bin or the "I'm going to send a money order ones" that I package and then forget where I put it. Senior moments are becoming more frequent with the stress of taking care of others.
skincareideas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try recalling when you last add new things into that box/category and work backwards (eg: the positioning of your last item added into the box and after that where have you taken the box to? and so on...) . Most of the time it is in plain sight. Just a thought.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I misplaced something not so long ago. Actually, it was right where it was supposed to be - I just forgot it was supposed to be there. Now I will remember better....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyreeTrading wrote:
I misplaced something not so long ago. Actually, it was right where it was supposed to be - I just forgot it was supposed to be there. Now I will remember better....

Once I created a file card box and labeled each card with a closet, cupboard, shelf etc and wrote on each one what was in the particular space. Then I forgot where I put the file box. Never have found it.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: