eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Second time this has happened to me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Second time this has happened to me. Reply with quote

Went to the eye doctor, badly needed a new presciption. After hours of trying on glasses, I ordered a pair with progressive lenses and everyone in the shop said the pair I finally selected were the ones that looked best.

Picked them up today and the glasses look atrocious on me. I have to assume people in the shop were judging their beauty based on the price tag which was high. I of course couldn't see a thing when I tried on the blank sample glasses. This happened the last time I had glasses made.

There oughta be a law.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think how one views another person's looks is almost always highly subjective. When a person asks another person their opinion that opinion should always be taken with a grain of salt. You may have subconsciously pushed the difficult decision off on the eye glasses shop people. After one hour they may have been just trying to get you out of the shop. lol ... You should accept full responsibility for the appearance new glasses. lol

Your new friend

mousecellar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

LOL. I keep seeing this in these discussions. What does it mean? Bob
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud ...

First time on the internet?

mousecellar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: x Reply with quote

Pretty much. lol Im old.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few of the more common short cuts ...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Internet-Acronyms.html

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop was not busy. Lots of people to help out. I was shelling out $800 for glasses plus what medicare was paying them for the exams so in essence paying their wages for several hours. True how a person looks to others is subjective but when one takes off ones vision to try on glasses with no vision, one is very dependent on the opinion of others.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: x Reply with quote

mousecellar wrote:
Pretty much. lol Im old.

I've seen demographics worksheets of the typical sellers of several of the free online selling venues and older females would tend to best describe the average online seller ( and buyer for that matter ).
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, take the glasses back and see if they will do an exchange. Take a trusted friend with you to help. I know exactly what you mean when you say you couldn't see what they looked like.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing happened to me the first time I needed glasses. I went by myself and was at the mercy of the people at the office. When I wore the glasses to work, both teachers and students told me that I looked like various cartoon characters they knew, particularly the owl from the Tootsie Pop commercial. How flattering!

Ever since, I have always taken somebody with me, and I make sure it's one of my friends who will tell me the truth. I don't blame the people at the doctor's office; I really think that your personality plays into it and they don't know you that well. I know they are trained in the shape of your face and all that, but it takes more to match the frames to YOU. (MHO)
skincareideas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to bring along your contact lenses just for the purpose for getting a new spectacle so that you can see it for yourself. That is what I do Laughing

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I have been there.
skincareideas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Just a thought here if you don't wear contact lenses. How about taking photos of yourself with your new try on glasses using your handphone. You can then review those photos with your existing pair of glasses later on. Very Happy
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opposite happen to me.

The first time, I picked out frames, we tried them on etc. Then the optician said 'let me show you what I would have picked'. I liked his selection better. Went to him for years (and before that went to his father too).

When we moved here to Tn, I did the same thing. Both times I liked what they picked out better than what I picked out. Of course it doesn't matter that much now, I only wear glasses to drive (or to see high school football games better) so not that many people see me with glasses.

DH did the progessive lenses once - he needs reading glasses for paper and the computer. So he got progressives with the top as clear glass so when he looked up, he could see the person he was talking to. When he needed stronger reading glasses, the optomistrist he went to here suggested he'd be just as happy with drug store reading glasses and should try that first. DH did and is perfectly happy with them.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 'progressive' glasses are 'bi-focal' glasses? I've never heard the term progressive lens.

likesthejewels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With progressive lenses, the top is for distance and the very bottom is for reading; thus, progressive lenses. I think they may also be called no-line bifocals.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: