eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Are you a speed demon? Be honest? Please read. Not a lecture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Are you a speed demon? Be honest? Please read. Not a lecture Reply with quote

What are the going rates for speeding tickets in the USA?

I got one today in WA and thought it was rather excessive for going 50 on a 4 lane straight-away, bare dry road, clear skies, no driveways or side roads and I was the only car on the road other than the cop car. No reason I could see for a 30 mph speed limit.

Love to know what your experience is in the US. My first stop was the bank. I think I was in shock at the amount. The manager said there was a new sheriff in town and he was particularly nasty to senior citizens.

We have named him Barny Fife from Mayberry.

Anyway if you or someone you know has had a recent ticket and it wasn't for dangerously high speeds, please post.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the going rates for speeding tickets in the USA?

different city to city, county to county.

My kid just got one on the way back to school on the interstate. Think she got it in Indiana. Won't know how much until it arrives in the mail - 2 -4 weeks.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was $250. I've only had a couple in my life but that one seemed excessive for the conditions and speed.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, road conditions have nothing to do with it. Most of the time, the fine is based on how many miles per hour over the speed limit. $250 seems high.

In Tennessee, if it is your first ticket, you are allowed to opt for a driver education class. One night, taught by a judge, costs $35. You show up, pay the money, listen and then...you pay no fine, the ticket is wiped off your driving record. If you just pay the fine, your car insurance will go up. In Tennessee, the money collected goes to the town / county / state depending on who gave you a ticket - it's considered a source of revenue. In the next town over, you used to see a lot of cars pulled over. The police didn't issue a ticket every time, a lot of times they were issuing a warning. They did tend to target particular types of cars, with young inhabitants. The Chief of Police wanted to establish the fact there was a strong police presence in town so if you were intent on burglary, robbery etc you would know they were around.

When I lived in NJ, the court costs went to the town and the balance to the state. Writing traffic tickets was not a revenue source for towns so they tended to be more lenient.

Having never gotten a speeding ticket, I haven't paid attention to the fine. I've been stopped twice in NJ and was able to persuade the officer to not give me a ticket. When DH got stopped in Tn, the officer was young and embarrassed after finding out the was DH's first in 30+ years of driving.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit can be determined by the town, county or state depending and there are regulations to determine who sets the limit. As far as cost, if you are found exceeding a state set speed limit in Florida the fine is based on # of mph above the posted limit.
1 - 9 mph = $25.00
10 - 14 mph = $100.00
15 - 19 mph = $125.00
20 - 29 mph = $150.00
30 mph & up = $250.00
These are for 1st offense. Fines double after 1st offense.

If you are in a designated school zone or construction zone, the fine is double the amount normally charged.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my way back along that same stretch of road, I tried to go 30mph. Cars were passing me left and right. Not one stayed behind me and they left me far behind. I could hardly keep the car going as there was a rise in the road.

The road leads to the border crossing so no way can anyone go very fast as there are usually lineups.

I sort of think this new cop sits on the road waiting for Canadian license plates. I've been using that road for 20 years and have never seen a police car or a cop ever. I didn't even think they had any unless they were down by the water.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Denver... My daughter got stopped for just over the 5 mark but was under 10...
her ticket was $72.... if she paid late it went to just over $100
& I think she got 2 points on her record.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I'm not sure of also. Can they put points on my Canadian record? What recourse if I don't pay it?
StoneWyre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What recourse if I don't pay it?

MaggietheCat might be meowing from jail.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
That is what I'm not sure of also. Can they put points on my Canadian record? What recourse if I don't pay it?

If you don't pay it, they will be watching for you at the boarder and you'll as WellspringCreations says be meowing from jail!

Not sure about whether they can effect your Canadian driving record BUT if you have car insurance with a company that also does business in the US, they they can easily become aware of the ticket.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found these

http://ezinearticles.com/?Canadian-Citizens-and-Traffic-Tickets-in-the-US&id=2604120

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content28464.aspx

The following is about NY but might still apply
http://www.gtcars.ca/online/traffic-tickets-car-insurance-discussion/45753-us-speeding-ticket-2.html
If you fail to answer, your privilege to drive in that state will almost always be suspended and, if you are caught driving in that state (even years later), you could be committing a crime.

If you fail to answer, your privilege to drive in that state will almost always be suspended and, if you are caught driving in that state (even years later), you could be committing a crime.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WellspringCreations wrote:
Quote:
What recourse if I don't pay it?

MaggietheCat might be meowing from jail.

howling... too funny.

I've never received a ticket in Indiana, but in the past, I personally paid someone's salary in Illinois. Seems the state police were particularly protective of the section of I-80 from Joliet to the Indiana border. I-55 from Springfield north was another protected area.

I never received points from out of state tickets. 250.00 does seem extremely steep.
yiayias

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Ridiculous Speed Sign Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b2xnWYx8YK8
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speeding ticket from Indiana has arrived ... cost $165.00 and if she gets another ticket in 6 month I don't know what happens it didn't say but the box was checked that says she is committed to no moving vioaltion within 6 months.

$165 for a college kid ... hope she learned from this one.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridiculous Speed Sign Reply with quote

yiayias wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b2xnWYx8YK8

Funny. He had me going for a minute.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: