eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

rss feed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: rss feed Reply with quote

Icon for rss feed has been added in all screens that show listings (browse, search, advanced search and filter)
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Looks like you can get an all category feed by clicking search on the home page and then filter.

WOO HOO!!! THANK YOU!

Now, I just got to figure out exactly what I am suppose to do with this great new tool!
CraftbooksnMore

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info http://auctionrssfeed.com/rss_tips.php. Check it out.
plussizelingerie

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraftbooksnMore wrote:
Here's some info http://auctionrssfeed.com/rss_tips.php. Check it out.

Great link, thanks!
WorkmansWood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: RSS feeds Reply with quote

Why does Ecrater only allow 20 items per feed?
Thanks
Rosemary
frontporchdreaming

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will one of you kind folks explain what RSS Feed is and what it is all about? Clueless here. Not even sure what RSS stands for. Is it to somehow link individual items to someplace?? or websites to someplace??
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a basic definition of RSS.

RSS is an acronym for Really Simple Syndication and Rich Site Summary. RSS is an XML-based format for content distribution. Webmasters create an RSS file containing headlines and descriptions of specific information. While the majority of RSS feeds currently contain news headlines or breaking information the long term uses of RSS are broad.

RSS is a defined standard based on XML with the specific purpose of delivering updates to web-based content. Using this standard, webmasters provide headlines and fresh content in a succinct manner. Meanwhile, consumers use RSS readers and news aggregators to collect and monitor their favorite feeds in one centralized program or location. Content viewed in the RSS reader or news aggregator is place known as an RSS feed.

If you right click on the RSS feed icon you can see what the feed looks like.
Solarcell7-Guitars-and-Mo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I assume that items we list in our eCRATER Strores are automatically entered to the RSS feed. Is this true or do we need to manually launch a listing to the RSS feed? Question Question
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solarcell7-Guitars-and-Mo wrote:
Hello, I assume that items we list in our eCRATER Strores are automatically entered to the RSS feed. Is this true or do we need to manually launch a listing to the RSS feed? Question Question

ON each page load you will see at the bottom the RSS feed. Your items are automatically included - last I heard - it is not by category or by store but by each page load ... so like 20 items or whatever a page is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's WAY happening! Each page getting rss feeded is outstanding! Thank's for the info! Brian/Solarcell7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me want to list MORE STUFF, like another 20 items maybe LOL!!!!.....
cabochons

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: RSS Feed Reader Reply with quote

Shocked ~ hello , this is my first post so I should also say a big thank you to the guy who put up this easy to use store, while I have been slow to get the items up it is slowly taking shape...maybe I will even make a sale one day soon.

Ok let me see if I understand this RSS feature.
this broadcast , is it like radio content for i pod people or who ever finds the feeds, for example do people with home computers search for related content and just end up finding our feeds , are most new computers able to read rss feeding ?

I see what it looks like , here is mine : http://cabochons.ecrater.com/rss-cat.php?cid=63433however I dont grasp how it is supposed to be found , read, heard?, or understood.

Can anyone help demistify the basics for me.
thanks, and hello to all here.

Much thanks,
Jeffrey
aspencounty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably confuse te issue even more.

"RSS - Rich Site Summary" or "Really Simple Syndicate"

Definition: The acronym RSS means Rich Site Summary, or some may consider its meaning as Really Simple Syndication. It is a document type that lists updates of websites or blogs available for syndication. These RSS documents (also known as 'feeds') may be read using aggregators. RSS feeds may show headlines only or both headlines and summaries.
Examples: If you update your blog regularly, you might want to make your content easily available to other people by using RSS feeds.

Aggregater

Definition: This is a program/tool, which enables individuals to read blog or site content updates using RSS feeds.

There are two main types of aggregrators: web-based aggregators and desktop/software aggregators. Web-based aggregators (e.g. Bloglines) allow individuals to sign up for the service and read their feeds online in just one site. There's no need to download and install any programs Desktop/software aggregators (e.g. AmphetaDesk) require individuals to download and install a program to the computer. This type of aggregator usually has a lot more functions available to the user.
Also Known As: blog client, blog reader, news reader, feed reader.

Ecrater has provided a RSS feed for us. Basically this is providing an automatic "update/feed" for you. The benefit is that it provides a feed to the net.

In order to read the feed, you will need a aggregater. It works something like this. I have a rss reader installed on my desktop. Let's say I visit your site/store and want to receive updates from it. I can subcribe to your rss feed by adding the url. Then each time it's updated I will recieve a notification and I can read your updates without the need to go to your site and look for new articles or in this case products.

I guess the question is : "Who will see me feed?". Anyone that subcribes to your feed. Is it automactic? Not really, I would need to be aware of your feed in order to subscribe to it.

Just consider RSS feeds as another weapon in your arsenal.
cabochons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Very Happy Dear Aspencounty,
Thank you so very much for the detailed explaination.
Perhaps as i hand out cards I had made up I should mention there is an rss feed update as I ad products, in hopes a jeweler may like my work enough to check in through the rss feed system.

I should download a reader so I can see how it looks coming across as a feed.

You cleared up the confusion, many thanks.

Jeff
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

cabochons wrote:
Very Happy

I should download a reader so I can see how it looks coming across as a feed.

Jeff

Before you buy anything, here is a free webbased reader. You can sign up for the free version if you just want to get a feel for how it works. To look at you own rss feed, open a page with the rss icon and copy the url.

Once you have created a account, in the reader look for :add feed>select add url enter the url of your feed. In the left menu you should see the new feed you just added.

http://www.newsgator.com/Home.aspx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: