eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Unclaimed Package
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Unclaimed Package Reply with quote

A package that I sent out has been returned to me marked: "Return To Sender - Package Unclaimed by Recipient". The buyer changed his mind and is asking for a refund. Is there any reason for me to refund the shipping cost? Must I accept a $9.95 loss because the buyer changed his mind after the package was shipped?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on YOUR terms and conditions. My terms state that refunds will be issued only for the original price of the item, minus a 20% restockng fee, and requests for refunds must be made in 30 days or less. Shipping fees will not be refunded UNLESS it is my fault that the item is wrong.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as Rusty... I do a 15% restocking but NEVER refund shipping if it was not my fault.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here although I don't charge a restocking fee.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unclaimed Package Reply with quote

JefferysJunction wrote:
A package that I sent out has been returned to me marked: "Return To Sender - Package Unclaimed by Recipient". The buyer changed his mind and is asking for a refund. Is there any reason for me to refund the shipping cost? Must I accept a $9.95 loss because the buyer changed his mind after the package was shipped?

What do your terms say about that?

I do not accept UNATHORIZED returns. I donate them to a charity and refund NOTHING to the buyer.
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My return policy states: "If a buyer is unsatisfied with a purchase for any reason, an item may be returned within 7 days, in the same condition as received, for a full refund. The buyer pays return shipping cost." The buyer did not return the item within 7 days. He actually never returned the package at all. He simply never picked it up from the Post Office and the Post Office held it for 30 days before sending it back to me.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
for a full refund. The buyer pays return shipping cost."

Well you just answered your question
Buyer gets a FULL REFUND per your own terms.

Quote:
The buyer did not return the item within 7 days. He actually never returned the package at all. He simply never picked it up from the Post Office and the Post Office held it for 30 days before sending it back to me.

The Post officce had it not the buyer. The buyer never took possession therefore it was never delivered.

Sounds like you might want to rethink your terms.
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtallmensclothing wrote:

With all due respect, you are misinterpreting my return policy. My return policy states the item may be returned within 7 days. Since the buyer purposely left the package at the Post Office, the package was not returned within 7 days, thus is not eligible for a full refund. As a courtesy, I am going to refund the price of the item but I am not going to refund the shipping cost.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My return policy states the item may be returned within 7 days.

That means the buyer has 7 days to return it AFTER they get it.
Not from the time you send it.
They never got it. On purpose or not, they never got it.

You need to re-write your policy to say what you mean and not what it means to you.

This is why I REQUIRE an authorization for the return. And exactly why I say, if the authorization is not issued the item will be donated with no refund given.

In your case IF they fight it with their credit card company they will get a FULL REFUND.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the buyer ever contact you to say they had changed their mind? Or did they just ignore it?

I'd try your way Jeffrey. They might not ever rememeber they ordered it and sent it back.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JefferysJunction wrote:
bigtallmensclothing wrote:

With all due respect, you are misinterpreting my return policy. My return policy states the item may be returned within 7 days. Since the buyer purposely left the package at the Post Office, the package was not returned within 7 days, thus is not eligible for a full refund. As a courtesy, I am going to refund the price of the item but I am not going to refund the shipping cost.
I know how easy it is the write something when you are thinking one way and have someone else read it with a very different meaning. I looked at your terms as a customer in your store. First, your return policy isn't on your terms page which could be seen as not having a return policy. Then I found it on your FAQ page. As a customer I would think:
1. I have 7 days to return the item AFTER I receive it.
2. I don't have to contact the seller before I return it.
3. I will get a full refund (as long as it is in the same condition).
4. Full refund means 100% of what I spent to get the item ie. price AND orig. shipping.
5. Return shipping is not part of the refund.

***SO ...... here's my thought ....

1. If I change my mind and simply don't accept the package, I'm doing better than keeping it for 6 days and returning it on the 7th day.
2. The post office will return the package to the seller and I won't have to pay return shipping.
3. Once the seller gets the package, I'll get a refund of everything I paid.

Jeffery, I KNOW this is not what you meant, but your refund policy could be viewed this way. Personally, I would give the customer a FULL REFUND. Then I'd improve the explaination of the refund policy AND put it on the terms page. I feel having the Question about refunds on the FAQ is fine, but store terms/policies should be on the Terms page. Having it on the FAQ covers those that didn't read the Terms.
elpereles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JefferysJunction, I read it. Sorry it says "full refund". You need to erase the "full" to avoid misunderstandings.

In my return terms I had the following:

Quote:
RETURNS

Returns accepted within 5 days of receipt. Contact first by e-mail. Buyer pays the return shipping. Refund is only for the item price, no refund for Shipping & Handling. Item must be received to get the refund. It must be received in the same condition as ship. Damage items will not receive refund.

PayPal- Refund is the item price.
Money Order and Personal Checks- Refund = (Item Price - $1.55)
International Money Order- Refund = (Item Price - $4.35)
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the item back to resell, you have not really lost any money except the Google/PP processing fee. Why not just relist the item and hope it will sell again?
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likesthejewels wrote:
If you have the item back to resell, you have not really lost any money except the Google/PP processing fee. Why not just relist the item and hope it will sell again?

and the shipping to the person
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the shipping to the person

Didn't the buyer pay for shipping?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: