ProfileProfile

Shipping Matrix Explaination Needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
pipes wrote:
So after reading all the forums I conclude that there is no way to do a single charge for the entire order, no matter how big it is?

Am I right?

Correct

Not sure what you are saying but I get orders for multiple items all the item.

I'm sorry if I was unclear - elseware I charged $4.95 per order, no matter how many items a customer ordered.

1 item, $4.95 total shipping - 10 items, $4.95 total shipping

I didn't say flat rate because folks confuse it with the USPS flat rate stuff.

I have a ton of smaller items and I can easily afford to pick up any extra shipping cost when it goes over $5.

Is that better said?

Thanks

David
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipes wrote:
1 item, $4.95 total shipping - 10 items, $4.95 total shipping

David, you can do this with the Shipping Matrix. Just put $4.95 in every field except for the last one (16+) which gets 0.00.
texasthreestar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm understanding you correct, Pipes, you are correct. It will total all your items and give you one shipping cost. If you put in the weight as an indicator, it will add up your total weights of all your items and put the shipping price that you've selected for that weight. It will give you one price for shipping. If the customer wants 2 of one of your widgets, they will put in 2 in quantity and the calculator will add it up on the item line.

Hope this is what you were talking about, Pipes.
pipes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't need or want it to add up individual item shipping charges.

i don't want to use any shipping calculator.

i don't want my customers to get all bent out of shape because they can't figure it out, and then leave because i'm not here 24/7.

i want it to charge $4.95 per customer, not per item. no matter how many tie that purchase. i never want my customer to pay more than $4.95.

that what i'm trying to find out.

thanks

pipes
acread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipes wrote:
i don't need or want it to add up individual item shipping charges.

i don't want to use any shipping calculator.

i don't want my customers to get all bent out of shape because they can't figure it out, and then leave because i'm not here 24/7.

i want it to charge $4.95 per customer, not per item. no matter how many tie that purchase. i never want my customer to pay more than $4.95.

that what i'm trying to find out.

thanks

pipes

You want a constant shipping regardless of number or weight of the items.

I don't think that is possible with the shipping matrix or flat rate shipping. I would like to offer that kind of shipping for a portion of my items too. Couldn't find a way to do it.

I think Dimitri is working on some new shipping utility, but I don't know what it includes or when it will be available.
onlytheabsolutebest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm real new here myself...but taking a stab at it...if you want to charge one rate no matter what...wouldn't you assign each item a weight attribute of "1" and then just put whatever charge you want as your "flat rate" per customer in each succeeding box except for the 16+ which would get Zero?

Since I am new here, I'll apologize in advance if I am either incorrect or repeating something somebody else offered up.

Heather
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'm real new here myself...but taking a stab at it...if you want to charge one rate no matter what...wouldn't you assign each item a weight attribute of "1" and then just put whatever charge you want as your "flat rate" per customer in each succeeding box except for the 16+ which would get Zero?

You are correct if I am reading the question right. If every box on the matrix says $4.95, that is what every order will be charged, regardless of how many things are in it. The 16+ box would say 0, because you never want anything added to increase it over $4.95.
People get the idea that the matrix is only for calculating, but it can also be used for this situation, for shipping by # of items, for different shipping services, etc. It may not work for everybody, but I'll wager that it would work for more people than are using it!
Quote:
Since I am new here, I'll apologize in advance if I am either incorrect or repeating something somebody else offered up.

Don't apologize! Repetition is a valid form of teaching. Wink
Becky
gardentractorparts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowsofclothes wrote:
With the upcoming postal increase I decided to mess with the shipping matrix.

I sell mostly childrens clothes so I setup my columns like this

1. Light First Class 4-8oz (mostly Shirts)

2. Heavy First Class up to 9-13oz (mostly shorts)

4. Priority Mail 1lb (Pants usually fall into this category)(this is also anything that can fit into a priority mail flat rate envelope)

6. Priority Mail 2lb (because 1lb is never enough Smile )

8-16 Is Setup for Priority Mail Flat Rate Box (You can fit a bunch of clothes in here so it shouldnt be a problem)

You then just setup your items and choose weight based shipping and enter the corresponding number you want for shipping.

I weighed some of my inventory and came up with most shirts set to 1, most shorts set to 2, and pants set to 4.

Hopefully this can help someone and is clear enough to understand. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

ok so you sell me a shirt and the shipping cost is $2.65
what happens when i am clear across the U.S from you and the shipping is way higher. you going to pay extra ?. i am in michigan and if i ship something to califonia the cost is double. and if i put my shipping high its not fair to the guy that buys from the next town over.
AdornItAll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that table, numbers 1 and 2 seem to be for USPS First Class (Envelopes, not Parcels) which is uniform across all 50 states, including AK and HI.

Number 4 is for a USPS Flat Rate Priority, or an up to 1 pound Priority; this does not vary by distance either, within the 50 states.

Number 6 is the one I don't quite "get". Not sure what that is for.

The rest of the fields are for a USPS Flat Rate Box which doesn't vary in the 50 states.

Priority by weight, once it exceeds a pound does vary by destination so that's where the matrix gets more difficult to work, I think. But if the item(s) fit in a Flat Rate Box, it works just fine.

In the table though, based on other entries in the forums on the matrix, isn't the last column (16+) the amount that is added on, for some increment over what is in column 16? If this was meant to be the maximum s/h is $8.95, wouldn't that 16+ be blank/zero's?

Trying to understand how the matrix works. . . Corrections welcome because I'm trying to set up matrix on my new store.

AdornItAll
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowsofclothes has a good matrix example there! S/he is using the different columns as types of shipping services to correspond with how she would ship different sized orders.

Quote:
Number 6 is the one I don't quite "get". Not sure what that is for.

I assume that if somebody buys a pair of pants (4) and a shirt or pair of shorts (1 or 2), they would be added together and the cost would be the amount in column 6. That's how I'm reading it anyway.
Quote:
ok so you sell me a shirt and the shipping cost is $2.65
what happens when i am clear across the U.S from you and the shipping is way higher. you going to pay extra ?. i am in michigan and if i ship something to califonia the cost is double. and if i put my shipping high its not fair to the guy that buys from the next town over.

I'm in Virginia and I just tested a first class package of 8 ounces from here to California; it's still under $2.65. I don't think first class jumps up like priority does when the distance gets longer.
Quote:
isn't the last column (16+) the amount that is added on, for some increment over what is in column 16?

YES! If somebody orders items and they add up to 17 or more, they're going to get hit with an extra $8.95 or more! That probably isn't what she had in mind. Then again, that many items might not fit into the flat-rate box anymore, so maybe it's correct after all.
CollectiblesChinaAndMore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing with the matrix - I, too, wanted to charge actual shipping + insurance (+delivery confirmation, IF I end up having to PAY for it - I know you could get it free if you print online, but stuff happens sometimes!)

I can't use the 'Flat Rate boxes' provided by the P.O. for MOST of my items, as they are too small after adding peanuts & bubblewrap.

I REALLY don't want to just charge a FLAT RATE to all, it just doesn't seem fair to overcharge to people who live closer. (I'm on Pacific Coast)

THAT BEING SAID, since I couldn't figure how to make it work, I just entered the shipping charges according to weight and based on (farthest ?) USA destination, and added $2.00 for insurance and delivery confirmation. (I set the 16+ lbs at $3.00)
I then went to one of my items and changed the weight to see what it did.

I tested 6 lbs, 16 lbs and 16+ lbs and it figured correctly.

But when I tested 7 lbs, it gave the 8 lb rate. Because other than 1 lb, the matrix doesn't allow for ODD numbers.

Unless I've done something wrong...

Why aren't there 3, 5, 7, etc lbs on the matrix?
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why aren't there 3, 5, 7, etc lbs on the matrix?

all I can say is that's just how it is.
I also thought that was strange but that's how it is.
YES, 3, 5, 7, etc all go to the next charge.

YOU can put in your description that all excess shipping that might be charged will be refunded....then of course refund any over payment portion.
CollectiblesChinaAndMore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:

YOU can put in your description that all excess shipping that might be charged will be refunded....then of course refund any over payment portion.

Thanks! That was going to be my next question if I can't figure out a better way.
sushidogbooks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: I sell shoes... Reply with quote

Some of them weigh under a pound, some weigh up to 5 pounds. Talking about pairs, here. A 4 pound pair costs 5.37-5.70 for zone 1 delivery up to 9.25-13.25 to zone 8, depending on whether it's sent parcel post or priority mail. That does not take into account the size of the box which has its own price additions in many cases. There is no way the matrix can work so my question is, is the matrix REQUIRED or can I simply state the range-prices in the description and work it out with a buyer when its appropriate?
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is the matrix REQUIRED

No you have several choices
#1 shipping by weight using the shipping matrix
#2 free shipping
#3 flat rate per item shipping

Quote:
can I simply state the range-prices in the description and work it out with a buyer when its appropriate?

No because the product will show ZERO in the shipping charge on each item. UNLESS you put the high amount in there and put the range in the description and tell them the difference will be refunded.
Most shoppers want to click to buy, pay and get the item. They don't want to have to wait for an invoice to be emailed to them and come back later to pay it. They want convinence and waiting isn't convinent.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: