eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

On Google Shopping, please protest the ebay listings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagecornerstore

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: On Google Shopping, please protest the ebay listings Reply with quote

What I am doing much more often now, and we should all do regularly, is at the bottom of Google shopping pages where it says "Give us feedback" I am sending them a note protesting the amount of ebay listings.

I mention how many are on that page (usually the first, but sometimes I will say "on the first three pages, ebay showed up x times") and I will add "if I wanted to see stuff from ebay, I would go to the ebay site."

If enough people did this, maybe they would adjust their search results, because it truly is disgusting.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should move this to the sellers section. I am so frustrated with the new search - I was just looking for a particular pattern of China for my daughter and all I got was pages and pages of EBAY- replacements.com was the only other site listed in the sidebar. Ridiculous!! Evil or Very Mad

I went to page 10 and started seeing other sites - this is just wrong!
ILOVE2SHOP4U

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: On Google Shopping, please protest the ebay listings Reply with quote

vintagecornerstore wrote:
What I am doing much more often now, and we should all do regularly, is at the bottom of Google shopping pages where it says "Give us feedback" I am sending them a note protesting the amount of ebay listings.

I mention how many are on that page (usually the first, but sometimes I will say "on the first three pages, ebay showed up x times") and I will add "if I wanted to see stuff from ebay, I would go to the ebay site."

If enough people did this, maybe they would adjust their search results, because it truly is disgusting.

I sent a message this morning, and stated the same "If I wanted an item from eBay, I would go to ebay", also added that eBay wont allow Google Checkout, so why give them top ranking.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are searching for yourself, add -ebay to the end of the search. This will return the same results without any ebay listings. If there are two you don't want to see, add -ebay -replacements. You can also do this in advanced search, but just adding to the search box is quicker.

The work-around doesn't change the fact that the system needs to be changed. I believe Google monitors the big search picture. If a large number of searchs have a minus search term, it might trigger a flag to have a human look at the reason. This, combined with the negative feedback being sent, might increase the importance of a need for a change.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea. I will send a message.
Comics-Emporium

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: On Google Shopping, please protest the ebay listings Reply with quote

ILOVE2SHOP4U wrote:
also added that eBay wont allow Google Checkout, so why give them top ranking.

Probably because eBay is paying the big Bucks for Top Placement, doesn't matter that they don't accept GC, their the biggest so they want the highest ranking placement possible
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: On Google Shopping, please protest the ebay listings Reply with quote

Comics-Emporium wrote:
ILOVE2SHOP4U wrote:
also added that eBay wont allow Google Checkout, so why give them top ranking.

Probably because eBay is paying the big Bucks for Top Placement, doesn't matter that they don't accept GC, their the biggest so they want the highest ranking placement possible

Remember all those fees you would pay at eBay ? They have to spend that money somewhere. GB/GPS does not charge for inclusion, but I've never seen anything said about order or ranking. Unless eBay has lowered the boom on their sellers (w/r/t attributes), I still believe that many of those eBay listings may vaporize once GB/GPS makes the attributes mandatory.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comics-Emporium wrote:

Like it or not, it's the way business works. Google will never acknowledge it and claims you can't buy placement but looking at things I suspect you are right. Think about it, Ebay spends tens of millions on Google advertising while Ecrater spends zero and we can complain all we want but who do you think Google is going to listen to?

cosmicray wrote:

Remember all those fees you would pay at eBay ? They have to spend that money somewhere. GB/GPS does not charge for inclusion, but I've never seen anything said about order or ranking. Unless eBay has lowered the boom on their sellers (w/r/t attributes), I still believe that many of those eBay listings may vaporize once GB/GPS makes the attributes mandatory.

I guess we will see how much Google values Ebay's and others advertising $$$ over their "mandatory" attributes. I suspect the $$$ will win out and you won't see much of a change.
HOMEBODIES

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem way unfair how they only show our 'real google checkout' reviews, and don't show the total amount and they show all feedback numbers from the ebayers.
elpereles

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was checking the UK version of Froogle/Google Products. It remember me the US version 2 years ago because when you made a search eB items are 1 or 2 in the 1rst page and not page 1 & 2 fill with items. Wink
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea...
if enough people do this daily, it may change. I know it took a few weeks of making a change on facebook pages. We all sent the same feedback & comments all day long & the problem was changed. So this may work IF enough of us do it. Also will post this on my FB pages & twitter because there are alot of other marketplaces that this is a problem for.
momsretro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm in with the -ebay searching.

I just did a search on 'vintage scarf' mainly because I know MaggieTheCat has a ton listed. Not only did I get 90% Greedbay, I also got new, slave-labor scarves from Amazon, and 4 or 5 brooches! So much for those attributes cleaning up search results!
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's beyond ridiculous. Not only are the listings crammed full of ebay, they don't even belong in the search! GPS is getting to be just like Google. Nothing but pages of irrelevant bs. If I'm looking for an auto part I don't want to see a vintage tea kettle. You'd think that would be obvious but the geniuses at Google seem bound to change our minds. I'll eat my hat if things change but I'm not holding out for salt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: