eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

my enter page
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing ALOT of reading on this topic. I have discovered that too many links that are not related can hurt your page ranking in google. NOW, the million dollar question is how many is too many. I have yet to find that answer. It's supposely a locked up secret of google. You know, one of those thinks that once the word gets out it will be immedaitely changed.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
OldHouseCollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJ and BTM thank you -- I believe I am getting the idea of links. Smile

LJ I can see where your collectible link page of shops was an excellent idea. Idea So I could open a website for my book store and do a link page of eCrater book stores and that would help them and me. Right?

And if one website, with a link page, catches the attention of search engines then having lots of (free) websites with link pages would be even better!! Wink Or does it work that way?

joyce
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I could open a website for my book store and do a link page of eCrater book stores and that would help them and me. Right?

It helps IF they can link back to you. Without that link back it is no help.

Quote:
And if one website, with a link page, catches the attention of search engines then having lots of (free) websites with link pages would be even better!! Or does it work that way?

YES and NO.
Popularity links are just a small portion of the puzzle. You need content - which is what makes a website like www.FormalLongDresses.com work. You need meta tags - keywords that work - highly search phrases and terms. Everything working right together and you will be found.
Meta tags need to be changed and updated as needed, etc.

NOW, one thing I don't know - is how free sites work with google. I don't know if google includes them or not. Something you might want to research.
jebsmagicshop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Just added a news letter link Reply with quote

I just added a news letter link.
http://jebsmagicshop.com/

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:
So I could open a website for my book store and do a link page of eCrater book stores and that would help them and me. Right?

It helps IF they can link back to you. Without that link back it is no help.

Quote:
And if one website, with a link page, catches the attention of search engines then having lots of (free) websites with link pages would be even better!! Or does it work that way?

YES and NO.
Popularity links are just a small portion of the puzzle. You need content - which is what makes a website like www.FormalLongDresses.com work. You need meta tags - keywords that work - highly search phrases and terms. Everything working right together and you will be found.
Meta tags need to be changed and updated as needed, etc.

NOW, one thing I don't know - is how free sites work with google. I don't know if google includes them or not. Something you might want to research.
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebsmagicshop...

I have little to add...that-being you guys are hashing things out and covering all the bases. I do have a Q, who is hosting your site? I am impressed with the clean look and how seamlessly it moves in and out of Ecrater. I am with msn's Office live and hate it Mad ...spent time shopping today for Free sites etc. Shocked

The link v. content issue is all valid and more.

I just had a thought Idea ...content = info and descriptions as you have here in your store. I would add text re: your items, cut & paste what you have here. There must be an area where you can insert tags and key words. even if you create a page in doc format and not make it visible to the public search engines will find it. In that doc page you can cut paste the tags, meta tags and meta keywords that you have entered here, adding your store name of course make it slightly different.

Good Luck!

TCL
jebsmagicshop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: hosting Reply with quote

godaddy.com, they great, and not very exspensive. 3.99 per month.

So do you mean to have a seperate page with all my store info on the server?

TheCookieLadyCafe wrote:
jebsmagicshop...

I have little to add...that-being you guys are hashing things out and covering all the bases. I do have a Q, who is hosting your site? I am impressed with the clean look and how seamlessly it moves in and out of Ecrater. I am with msn's Office live and hate it Mad ...spent time shopping today for Free sites etc. Shocked

The link v. content issue is all valid and more.

I just had a thought Idea ...content = info and descriptions as you have here in your store. I would add text re: your items, cut & paste what you have here. There must be an area where you can insert tags and key words. even if you create a page in doc format and not make it visible to the public search engines will find it. In that doc page you can cut paste the tags, meta tags and meta keywords that you have entered here, adding your store name of course make it slightly different.

Good Luck!

TCL
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
even if you create a page in doc format and not make it visible to the public search engines will find it.

some search engines will blacklist your site for doing that. Be careful.

Quote:
There must be an area where you can insert tags and key words.

The meta tags and meta description are there. You can see them if you view source. Plenty of room for more but off to a great start.
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebsmagicshop

Thanks...I never would have guessed Godaddy! Very Happy

Quote:
So do you mean to have a seperate page with all my store info on the server?

No.. just create a page "Products" or "catagories" and provide a text version for each of your products and maybe a GO button [at the end of each product] for a link to the page here with that item. That way you have content. Just providing a linking page for a newsletter is not content. It seems redundant but, pages or sites which do not sell anything...have any info are less likely to be picked-up by searches & webcrawlers. Wink They can tell if the content matches the meta tags etc.

Always glad to share!
TCL
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread might help you with some ideas.
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2782

TheCookieLadyCafe - ALL my sites are godaddy servers too.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some search engines will blacklist your site for doing that. Be careful.

Too true, BTM...be careful with that, that's cloaking. Ebay gets away with it, Amazon gets away with it, but they are the big boys and really know what they are doing. If you get booted out of the indexes, you'll play h-e-double-hockey-stix getting back in. Just not worth it.

Internal links are a good thing to have on your sites/pages (hyperlinks that link to another page on your website). I would disagree that pages and sites that are non-retail or don't sell anything will not get picked up in the index. On the contrary, if they have good content that meshes with the meta tags, they are more likely to be indexed more quickly than an ecommerce site. Why? Because most ecommerce sites employ at least 1 if not more SEO no-no's. You'll always find blogs and such at the top of most search engine results.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels
Quote:
if they have good content that meshes with the meta tags, they are more likely to be indexed more quickly than an ecommerce site.

TCL:
Quote:
They can tell if the content matches the meta tags etc.

Same message/info different persentation... Wink
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pages or sites which do not sell anything...have any info are less likely to be picked-up by searches & webcrawlers

Just pointing out that that is not actually a fact Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: