eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google codes and art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wuwei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Google codes and art Reply with quote

I'm totally bamboozled by these Google codes. I'm aiming to sell my own Personal Sketch Cards & ACEOs (basically my own original artwork & self-produced prints thereof) but apparentlly there are no unique codes for them.
I applied for an "exemption" but it was denied, by a computer from the looks of the nonsensical language.
If I don't bother banging my head against this brick wall and don't have any of these codes on my listings, will that prevent my items being sold? Or will it just stop them being submitted to one of Google's world-domination wheezes?
The ACEO audience is pretty niche anyway - I'm quite happy to just link my store to my other webgalleries for traffic.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wuwei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "exemption denied" reply tells me to "tick the Google feed" under store admin and reapply for an exemption... but I can't see any google feed anywhere - are they talking about the Google analytics bit? Do we have to register for that?
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Google codes and art Reply with quote

wuwei wrote:
I'm totally bamboozled by these Google codes.

Do you mean Google Attributes?

wuwei wrote:
I'm aiming to sell my own Personal Sketch Cards & ACEOs (basically my own original artwork & self-produced prints thereof) but apparentlly there are no unique codes for them.

There may not be the unique identifiers that Google is asking for...the ones you are requesting exemption from...but you can still insert attributes for your products, such as artist, material, length, etc.

wuwei wrote:
don't have any of these codes on my listings, will that prevent my items being sold?

Not directly. It means your products may not appear in Google Product search, and to the extent that Google Product search brings customers to your store, that may affect your items being sold.

wuwei wrote:
the "exemption denied" reply tells me to "tick the Google feed" under store admin and reapply for an exemption... but I can't see any google feed anywhere

In my store, the exemption request was under the "Tips" tab not "Google's Feed Status" in the Admin Tool. But that may be diff. for other stores. See http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=27726&start=15 for an image of what the tabs look like.

wuwei wrote:
are they talking about the Google analytics bit? Do we have to register for that?

No and no.
wuwei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - yes, it's the attributes causing the problem.
I applied for the exemption to get rid of the red exclamation marks on my products. I can add other attributes but that doesn't get rid of it, as it seems to be insisting on a unique identifier code... but as long as someone can visit my store and buy the product regardless, that's okay. (There aren't going to be many folk using Google Product Search to look for my Art cards!)
I think the "google feed" may be the problem - I clicked on its status and it tells me I have to wait a few days for it to be set up (I only began the store yesterday).
Looks like eCrater itself is nice & straightforward, it's just the Google integration that's caused my confusion.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell antique etchings and prints in one of my stores and they won't allow them either. The problem with Google is that they don't have any employees who predate UPCs and ISBNs. Therefore they think the world began the day Google went live. The new gospel of Creationism.
wuwei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
I sell antique etchings and prints in one of my stores and they won't allow them either. The problem with Google is that they don't have any employees who predate UPCs and ISBNs. Therefore they think the world began the day Google went live. The new gospel of Creationism.

Laughing I like it! It's worryingly consumerist and Big-Brothery, with everything having to be codified & branded. I just want somewhere I can sell a few of my drawings!
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therefore they think the world began the day Google went live. The new gospel of Creationism.
Preach it sister !
antiques-collectibles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Maggie! Now they will be kept busy rewriting the Bible for their own purposes... but hey it's not the first time. Laughing
Maybe we'll get a break while they are busy contemplating their own navels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: