eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

THE NEW PAYPAL EMAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not received any emails from GCO or PP about this but, I already provided them with my SS number a long time ago for extra verification to get them to lift all of the initial monthly limits and restrictions that they placed on my account when I first started using them to collect payments for my sales 4 years ago. SO, it could be that some of us have not received those emails because we have already provided PP and GCO with our SS numbers, or it really could be a scam.

I NEVER give out any highly confidential information like this via email. I always go directly to the site and log in to double check, and if I don't have any messages about it or see any bulletins about it once logged in, I call the company directly to confirm the accuracy of the email.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcreekcreations wrote:

I NEVER give out any highly confidential information like this via email. I always go directly to the site and log in to double check, and if I don't have any messages about it or see any bulletins about it once logged in, I call the company directly to confirm the accuracy of the email.

I don't, either. That is why I logged into my PayPal account after getting the email, and clicked on the link that popped up telling me I needed to provide the information.
WendysHomeAndGardenShop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why they should require a SS # or Tax ID# or why they are creating 1099's. What if I were using my bank down the street to deposit checks for stuff I might be selling locally? Why is it the bank's business to assume (or figure out) if that is income-taxable or not? I think of PP just like a bank. Not a source of income to send me 1099s.

What am I missing?
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is info from PayPal: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=marketing_us/IRS6050W

Also, the Auctionbytes link up there explains it as well.

Also, this article: http://www.eidebailly.com/industries/financial-institutions/form-1099-k-filing-requirements explains the difference between Payment Settlement Entities (of which PayPal is one) and banks.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DownsizingDiva wrote:
I don't see why they should require a SS # or Tax ID# or why they are creating 1099's.

Because so many online sellers thought they had found the perfect way to make money and not pay taxes on it like income from a job. If you are selling online as your "job" or as a secondary source of income, you should be filing a Schedule C or whatever applies and including that income on your income tax form.

If you're like me, by the time you take out your expenses for postage, boxes, etc., you don't end up with much "income" left over to pay taxes on!

If you just sell a few things from your attic here and there, you aren't going to get a 1099-K anyhow since the threshold is $20,000 gross and at least 200 transactions. Anybody selling that much is "in business" at least as a part-time job, not just having yard sales.
Quote:
What if I were using my bank down the street to deposit checks for stuff I might be selling locally? Why is it the bank's business to assume (or figure out) if that is income-taxable or not? I think of PP just like a bank. Not a source of income to send me 1099s.
What am I missing?

Isn't it still income? It's between you and the IRS, not PayPal or the bank. The IRS expects us to pay taxes on our income, it's that simple. Ebay and the like created a huge gap where nobody could trace the money. PayPal is the link that closes that gap.
WendysHomeAndGardenShop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the perspective. Interesting. Yes, people earning income should be paying income taxes. But, it also seems wrong for the government to stick their nose in someone's "bank account".

I hope sellers don't turn to money orders or something else that is not as safe as Paypal/Google CO though.

Doesn't affect me, but I can relate on a smaller scale. There is often talk about states with sales taxes having access to credit card records to find out-of-state purchases. Wrong - wrong -wrong. I declare my out-of-state purchases on my state return and so be it.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DownsizingDiva wrote:
Thanks for the perspective. Interesting. Yes, people earning income should be paying income taxes. But, it also seems wrong for the government to stick their nose in someone's "bank account".

I guess it's like most laws and rules - if everybody would just do the right thing, we wouldn't need the rule. Knowing the millions of dollars flowing through eBay, I'm sure the government could see that they weren't being declared anywhere. Same as the fee on shipping, to catch the sellers practicing fee avoidance.
Quote:
I hope sellers don't turn to money orders or something else that is not as safe as Paypal/Google CO though.

I report my money order sales, too, and I'm sure you do too. I know some posters here who would argue with you on the "safe" part of PayPal! But if sellers are that bent on avoiding their taxes, let them take the risk. If somebody is going to cheat on their taxes, they'll find a way to do it.
Quote:
Doesn't affect me, but I can relate on a smaller scale. There is often talk about states with sales taxes having access to credit card records to find out-of-state purchases. Wrong - wrong -wrong. I declare my out-of-state purchases on my state return and so be it.

Wow, is that in all states? I don't remember ever doing that except once when I bought a car in the next state; I paid the tax at the DMV. I need to go look at the form; I may be cheating on my taxes and not know it! Shocked
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, any business/church/nonprofit must provide a 1099 for any individual they pay $600 or more during the course of the year. If it is a company, then they don't have to.

When the National Health Care Reform was passed, it included a provision that said 1099s were to be done for everyone, including businesses, with whom you expensed $600 or more during the year. Small businesses screamed loudly and eventually that portion was repealed. Imagine how many 1099s Comcast or AT&T would get from the companies they provide internet access or phone service for! The whole purpose was to catch those who run businesses and don't declare income or who under report income.

This whole PayPal thing is part of the IRS tracking down people who don't pay. The honest folks get scooped up in the same procedures.
WendysHomeAndGardenShop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, is that in all states?

Actually it might just be my state, Taxachusetts. They've never done credit card thing AFAIK, so far just talk/threats. We are supposed to declare all out of state and internet purchases. Not sure why sales tax should even apply, but revenue stream is king.

Hey, maybe they will start using PP to track purchases for sales tax!
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtcollectibles -- That is probably true in every state that has a sales tax. It's one of the most ignored tax laws and state governments acknowledge it is.

I remember one of the big 'tax fraud' cases years ago was stores in New York City offering delivery service to New Jersey customers - only they didn't deliver, they just marked the receipt that way. All because New Jersey residents receiving the item delivered wouldn't have to pay New York/New York City sales tax. they were supposed to pay NJ sales tax but never did. New York City led the crackdown on that one.

The Streamlined Sales Tax inititive was created to collect sales tax on interstate sales based on delivery point. It hasn't made a lot of progress because of each state has it's own insane what's taxable/what's not taxable/different rates etc.

Last edited by TyreeTrading on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
WendysHomeAndGardenShop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When the National Health Care Reform was passed, it included a provision that said 1099s were to be done for everyone, including businesses, with whom you expensed $600 or more during the year.

and that has to do with Health care how? Confused

I guess thats another topic... our government/policitians/legislative process out of control!

They probably want to get the payments to the cleaning girl or the lawn mower guy too.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downsizing Diva -

the intent was to increase revenue to help pay for the program. And yup, because the lawn boy was running a business, he'd have taxable income.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so we don't get too politically off-track here, the 1099-K applicable to online selling was signed into law by G.W. Bush before he left office in 2008. So I don't know how much we can connect it to the health care plan..... Or maybe I'm misreading.
Question
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took a little detour...thank you for recalculating Very Happy
vintagecornerstore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this whole thing is such a major boondoogle. The fact is, those people not reporting this kind of income will probably not be paying any tax even after they report these sales (remember, something like 49% of the people in the US do not pay ANY taxes, and this isnt' the rich people, either).

It is going to cost the IRS so much money to process all the paperwork, that I bet the net sum they collect will actually be negative. In my mind, it is just another truly ridiculous program put in place that looks good on paper, but is actually going to cost more than what is collected from it.

I've always reported it all, if for no other reason than to make me keep on top of all the business numbers at least once a year, but the way they are currently spending it makes me wish I had the guts not to! (War after war, endless entitlements ... oh well, we won't go there.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: