eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

more Google Attribute questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luluslittlehouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: more Google Attribute questions Reply with quote

Can you tell me, please, if I am dealing with an antique item or a collectible item that is at least 50 years old...and I get the message from Google that I need to fill in at least two of the three identifiers: there is no UPC. How does one find an MPN??? All I can offer for most of my items is a "brand" Iif even that) and that is only one identifier. Any suggestions? I only have a small store.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
luluslittlehouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two examples, also, of items in my store that are currently flagged:

antique fabric covered perfume bottle. There is no brand, no upc, no mpn on this. It's just an old(antique) fabric covered bottle that my mother bought at some antique store somewhere a long time ago. Flagged with the red exclamation mark. How do you deal with this?

vintage opalescent turquoise glass footed compote. No brand on this one either. This was my grandmother's. It's just an old opalescent turquoise colored glass candy dish type thing. It's probably at least 50 or 60 years old. It is flagged. There is no brand. I have no idea who "made" this piece.

Any suggestions on how I should go about working this out? I have filed an exemption for my antique books that do not have ISBN numbers and was denied that.
BadDogHats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: attribute questions Reply with quote

Im a small shop too, and since i dont have UPC's I just kinda made up a number i can use as an identifier for the MPN (Manufacturer's part number) and it worked for me. and if there is no brand on an item you are selling I think you can just list your store name, since hopefully that is what people searching may be looking for.
thats my 2cents. Thanks!
Rischa
luluslittlehouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rischa:

That's very innovative. I don't think I would EVER have thought to do that. A question? How many digits do your MPN replica numbers have? Same amount as regular MPNs? I don't even know how many that would be or what they'd look like. Would appreciate info. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!
luluslittlehouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled "MPN number" and got into the Google Merchant support forum. Here's a bit of dialogue that might be helpful. I don't know if all MPNs are two letters and four digits or not, but it is a start. And again, Rischa, thanks for your post.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/base/thread?tid=5df2450c36d2d241&hl=en
BadDogHats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: MPNs Reply with quote

I dont think there are any requirements for MPNs. I used a keyword to tell me what the item is, in my case, topM123 "top tells me its a top hat, M tells me its a size medium and I usually have a number for color,
I dont think there are any requirements for length or arrangement. The whole thing is a bit silly if you ask me.
Wink
Rischa
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MPNs Reply with quote

BadDogHats wrote:
I dont think there are any requirements for MPNs. I used a keyword to tell me what the item is, in my case, topM123 "top tells me its a top hat, M tells me its a size medium and I usually have a number for color

In theory, the M in MPN is supposed to represent 'manufacturer's'. This is supposed to be a number assigned by the manufacturer. In practice that may be difficult to obtain. At a minimum, you should research the item you are selling, and see if anyone else could be selling the identical item. If so, look and see what number they are using. But understand that they could be fudging the number as well.

Last edited by cosmicray on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
carolinabluelady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one should be using false mpn's, upc's, brands or any other numbers. Google will delete your feed and account if they find you are putting in false information. You should fill in as many attributes that you have and then ask for an exemption.
You will not get an exemption if you have used incorrect information for the attributes. And, just because you get an exemption, doesn't mean you don't need to put in the attributes if there are any. Like with books - if you have a mix of old and new books, you need to put the ISBN in for the new ones. After you have included all that you can find, then go for the exemption.
Remember you need to go through eCrater to get the exemption. If you get turned down, try it again explaining what you have done to obtain all the attribute info. Explain and push for the exemption.
BadDogHats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: MPNs? Reply with quote

Really?

If I am the manufacturer, who's to say the number I provide isint the legit product number?

With UPC's I get it there is this whole international database that you have to buy into to get issued the special number and barcode thingie at the cost of 3000$ per year.

I will have to ask eCrater....
luluslittlehouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmic ray: I have searched internet and have found only one merchant on Etsy selling a similar item, also with no ID# as it is a vintage item.

I dunno. I'm going to put in an inventory number just as Rischa has done. If I get pulled over for speeding, then I'll probably just sell my car...
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sell only antique, vintage and handmade, you can request an exemption. That is on your admin home page.

eCRATER is constantly telling us not to make up numbers for MPN, ISPN etc. You should leave them blank and file for an exemption.

Whoever/whatever is flagging the items doesn't have the kinks worked out yet. In a store that sells only vintage scarves, a few will be flagged and the rest not. This is in a store that is already exempt. Makes no sense. Whatever technology is being used by either eCRATER or Google doesn't work very well.

Now I'm having items flagged for size. I don't sell sized items and have length as an attribute but the system doesn't accept that. It would rather have some inaccurate word that is solely my opinion.
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few of my books, and a few other items have N/A listed in the field. I figured that was the best because I couldn't find them, and I searched high and low for them on the interwebs and still notta.
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrater-moon has posted this MANY MANY times
"Please DO NOT make up attributes, or enter unknown, NA or any other type of data that is not valid. Creating values or entering invalid identifiers may result in the Google feed for your store having invalid data errors."
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulu, what category are you putting the perfume bottle in?

There is a collectibles / vanity, perfume and shaving. If you don't have it there, you might want to put it there.
ecrater-moon
forum admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please DO NOT make up upc, mpn, or enter unknown, NA or any other type of data that is not valid. Creating values or entering invalid identifiers may result in the Google feed for your store having invalid data errors.

We are seeing merchant's items being completely removed from Google products because the feeds contain invalid data. The items with the invalid data are not just being removed, ALL items from that merchant's feed are being removed.

If the attributes are not available, you should enter all the UPI and attributes that ARE available and then request an exemption for the rest of the items. The red ! beside a product is a tool provided by eCRATER to help you see which items have missing UPI or attributes. It does NOT verify the data that you enter.

em
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: