eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google checkout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElegantDecor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Google checkout Reply with quote

I noticed I'm not getting many hits at all on anything in my store. How much trouble is it to set up google checkout, and is it really worth all the hassle to do it?

Does anybody know if offering google checkout drives much business to the store?

Thanks in advance.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
snowflakememories

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may depend on your product line, however my experience is that in the last 4 years, 35% of my customers have paid with PayPal and 65% with Google C/O.
Weird things happen at the same time, one week all the orders are with PP, may be next week with Google. These company run promotions (buy now pay later) and Google changes frequently the rules.
Yes, from my business' point of view it makes sense to add Google. And the fees are a little lower, Google is automatically transferring the money to your bank daily.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very recent thread on this topic, but basically, no it isn't hard to set up, and today I hit 1600 orders through GCO, so people do use it. Probably half my orders are paid for through them. For folks that hate PP, it gives them a payment option.
ElegantDecor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is a very recent thread on this topic..."

I missed it. I'll have to look for that harder, thanks.

Thanks for everybody's replies so far.

I just hate doing any banking of any kind online. Why won't ecrater go ahead and allow google feeds without requiring a store to have google checkout? That's frustrating.
ElegantDecor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the other discussion on google checkout.

I've decided to try some of the ideas about promoting stores instead of offering google checkout, since I don't like doing online banking. It kind of feels like blackmail that if you don't offer google checkout, then your store won't have google feeds.

The online blog sounds kind of cool, as a promotion tool. Might look into that shortly.

Thanks for the replies!
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowflakememories wrote:
And the fees are a little lower, Google is automatically transferring the money to your bank daily.

I thought Google and PayPal had the same fees, $0.30 + 2.9% for domestic. How much are the Google fees?
Quote:
I just hate doing any banking of any kind online. Why won't ecrater go ahead and allow google feeds without requiring a store to have google checkout? That's frustrating.

Where did you see that? It was my understanding that an electronic payment service was required, not specifically Google checkout. I'm still PayPal only and my items are in GPS, or they were the last time I checked.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElegantDecor wrote:
Google Products will not allow any items to be listed that can't be purchased via an online method. The rule is Google's that eCrater has is to comply with regarding the feed. You do NOT have to have Google Checkout to have your items listed in Google Products, only a secure online payment method. The only online methods accepted on eCRATER are PayPal and Google Checkout, so if you want your items feed to Google Products, you must accept one of the two.

The fees charged for US payments are the same for PayPal and Google Checkout. (I don't know if the international payment are the same.) I like the fact that Google Checkout automatically deposits the funds into my bank.

I like being able to allow my customers to pay via money order and I have some customers that really prefer that method. As a buyer myself, I would have to really, really, really want an item to buy from a seller who didn't offer an online payment method. I'd question if it was a scam since I would have no protection if the seller skipped out with my money. (Not saying this to you personally, I haven't even looked at your store, but this would be my first reaction before I started checking out the seller.) For the record, I've purchased postcards with money orders from several online dealers, but only one didn't offer an online payment method.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will need to offer some sort of electronic payment if you want to have many orders. I get maybe 2-3 money orders a year. Most people are used to them now and want to be able to pay via an on line payment. If I only had one to choose from, I would pick GCO simply because they aren't owned by ebay.

I suspect that you will have trouble getting your items noticed for two other reasons and not because you don't offer GCO or PP. You have what is considered boilderplate at the end of your listing--that is info about shipping and handling, someday you will offer GCO, returns, etc. That info should be in your terms page.

You might also want to rethink the lovely commentary at the beginning of your listing that tells nothing about your product. You are losing valuable space. The search engines only tend to search the first 250 or so characters in a listing, so if there isn't anything about your actual item, they won't come up in searches either.

Anyhow, as nice as your product may be, and as nicely as you write your listing, you are setting yourself up for being completely lost to the search engines, when by a bit of tweaking and offering at least one electronic payment method, you will gain much better placement in the search engines and thus hopefully more sales.
Endlesstreasurecloset

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will never make a sale without an online payment system. No one knows who you are, you have no feedback. Would you send money to someone like this? I prefer Google checkout. You can offer both if you wish, it's your choice. Buyers are more comfortable sending $ to either of these methods, even with no feedback-which is where we all start.

Your home page is blank. Fill it out. Tell us about your store, your products (not you) Communicate. Keep everything professional.

Most of your photos that I viewed were dark. You only have 1 for each item. You can show up to 10 for each. I wasn't even sure what most of your items were & could not tell from the photos. You can show individual parts, close up, front, back, etc.

Each ad is on its own. If it is handmade, it should say so. Describe it fully. Your first sentence is the most important (after title of course), you can loose buyers in 5 seconds if it's not descriptive of the item. Buyers may, or may not later look at your terms, about, contact, etc.

Look at your store & each ad as if you had no idea what any of this is. If you cant tell, you need more work. Just expand. Stores take time. Work on what you have & build & ad more product. You need to advertise now (check other columns for free places), looks like your stuff is seasonal-this season, so hurry. Good luck
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just hate doing any banking of any kind online

Just another thought. We are now in the year 2011 soon to be 2012. To keep up with the times you need to be offering what people expect and that is on line payments. If you don't want to trust your money to a bank on line, why would you expect someone to send cash (which is in essences what a MO is) to you to buy something they see in your store. I've heard others that take MO only and insist that they are doing great. I would love to know how much better they would be doing IF they also took an on line payment. Most customers will take an immediate pass on your items without the on line payment. I know I would.

Quote:
I've decided to try some of the ideas about promoting stores instead of offering google checkout

It doesn't matter how much other promoting you do, by not accepting on line payments, promoting your store isn't going to make up for not offering an easy way to pay.

I don't know why you don't seem to trust on line banking, but have YOU actually had a problem with it? I know there are the horror stories out there, but many more people are doing all their banking on line without a hiccup. For someone like me who is disabled, banking on line saves me many trips into town to deal with financial problems. While recovering from surgery I was able to directly transfer money to my son's account so he could pick us up groceries before he came to visit. It made life so easy and that is just one example of a great feature. Do you have to stay on top of things with on line banking? Yes, but you should stay on top of your regular bank accounts as well, but on line you have 24/7 access.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: