eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Problems with check, money order payments?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanchastain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Problems with check, money order payments? Reply with quote

I am just wondering whether it is a good idea to accept payments by check and money order. Until now, I have limited payments to PayPal or Google Checkout because I have been afraid I would encounter too many problems if I accept checks. Anybody have any advise for me?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably get a big mix of responses.

I don't accept checks because I just consider them too much hassle -- you have to wait x-amount of days to ship to make sure they clear and even then there can still be problems after you've shipped. I know other folks just take the risk and ship before the check even clears (probably depends on what you sell).

I do accept money orders. I don't require postal money orders but those are probably the most secure because you can cash them at the post office and once they're cashed they're cashed.
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot advise anyone on how to handle their financials however; I will tell you what I do and why.

I offer my local customers the ability to pay with checks Which limits my distress if a problem should arise. Another reason for limiting check payments to local customers is due to the time it takes a check to clear form out of state. Then again with a M.O. or cashiers check the customer must physically go to the Bank before putting the check into the mail...TIME! What if they change their mind…become distracted…have some family emergency on the way or from the Bank…too many variables for me. I Always think of the most comfortable way that I do business with others when I am a customer then, I ask friends and strangers what would they feel good about in a business transaction on the internet.

That is where I stand on this. Best wishes!

Josh, Jordy & The Cookie Lady
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to accept checks and money orders. Had problems with a few checks, got burnt, so moved to US postal money orders as the only mailed in payment I'd accept.

People would send in whatever ole money order types they felt like, didn't want the hassle of going to the PO, I was in Albertson's anyway, etc., etc. Plus, most of the purchases made with a money order payment, the money orders never arrived. Screwed with my inventory too much, too, as I would hold aside a certain piece of jewelry, and the money order never arrived. I'd send one reminder after 7 days, most times, I never heard from the "buyer" again.

Fixed that problem. Now I only take online payments by shopping cart, telephone, and fax!
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offer to accept money orders. In the past year between all my stores online - I think I have received 6 money orders from hundreds of orders.
So personally, I don't think people really care about that option.
jeanchastain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help! Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful responses! I don't want to limit my sales, but then I am really not into hassels either. You have given me food for thought. I appreciate it. Very Happy
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your store is really well laid out, jean! Nice laid out terms, FAQs, etc. Good job!

Your kitty is huge compared to my kitty Laughing
jeanchastain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: My Kitty Reply with quote

My kitty is Lionel...He is a maine coon and weighs about 18 pounds. He is the sweetest cuddly thing you have ever seen. Great disposition...
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::blinking::: Is it you, Cher? Or another Maine kitty fan? Smile

That picture of mine was taken when he was pretty raggedy, he's normally a big ole kitty and very fluffy. I just happened to catch him trying to clean his back when I was shooting photos, couldn't resist LOL!

Here he is snuggled up to his "sister" (also known around here as The Child, even though she's almost 21, being the youngest of 4):

We call him the big cow kitty because his back markings look alot like a Holstein, or camel kitty because he lies on his stomach with his front legs tucked under him and his neck stretched out on the floor.

I'll have to see if I can catch him in drunk-in-the-alley pose LOL
jeanchastain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Great Pic Reply with quote

I can see why you call him the Cow...his markings are beautiful. I love black and white cats! Lionel had a brother cat named Maynard...had a Hitler style mustache and he looked like he was wearing a swim suit on his behind. But, he only lived about a year. Hated it when we lost him...he was adorable and Lionel really missed him. But Lionel got over that and loves being the center of attention. Lionel is almost 10 now. Very Happy
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Is it ok to hijack a thread if you get into a really interesting convo with the OP? I'm gonna say YES! Cool I know someone will smack me down if it's no!

Would love to see more of Lionel, jean! Beautiful eyes! Maynard, too, if you have photos!
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teej (real name TJ, but we just call him Teej most of the time) is super protective of his property and his people, almost dog-like. He growls when he hears a knock at the door lol. Took him about 8 months to warm up to my grandson, even though he wasn't being mistreated. He would actually go after him, chase him from room to room, for no reason, which was NOT good! Now he's calmed down and even plays with Julian. I thought maybe he had been abused by a kid, but he's the same way when other people come over he doesn't know. They can't get near him. He plunks himself down in front of me with his body between me and them. I thought it was a coincidence at first, and changed chairs. He moved, too!

The guard kitty LOL
jeanchastain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: I've Been trying to Send Private Message Reply with quote

Been trying to send private message so we can continue out cat tales...I can't figure out how to do it. Maybe someone will jump in and tell me how if we keep our cat thread running...or maybe we should just start a Pets thread in the lounge?!!

I have been trying to add a photo of Lionel to this post but guess I will have to search the board for information about how to include a photo...or maybe you could tell me. Anyway...he is my avatar now.
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I've Been trying to Send Private Message Reply with quote

jeanchastain wrote:
Been trying to send private message so we can continue out cat tales...I can't figure out how to do it. Maybe someone will jump in and tell me how if we keep our cat thread running...or maybe we should just start a Pets thread in the lounge?!!

I have been trying to add a photo of Lionel to this post but guess I will have to search the board for information about how to include a photo...or maybe you could tell me. Anyway...he is my avatar now.

There are 3 icons at the bottom of each post where you can connect to others or about you. The pm icon is for Private messages To incert a photo use either the URL OR img icons at the top of the post screen when you are typing or sending a PM.

& Best Wishes!

Josh, Jordy & The Cookie Lady…Proprietors: Purple Puppy Paws Products
jeanchastain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help! Reply with quote

Thanks Cookie Lady for the info on how to upload a picture...I'm html challenged to say the least. I can build a computer, but I don't know a thing about graphics and html. But thanks to wonderful boards, I am learning. Well, the photo is a little bigger than I thought...I'll try to keep it to bulletin board size in the future...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: