eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

May I ask a question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wood-n-things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: May I ask a question? Reply with quote

Why do I see a lot of sellers here and on other venues charging extra to ship to Alaska and Hawaii? They cost the same via usps as any where else in the usa? I can sorta understand APO/FPO because there is a small form to fill out...

These sellers are shipping smaller items so I know they aren't using ups/fedex/dhl and they say priority or first class etc.

I'm confused..Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

Mike
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not contact them directly and ask them? I don't do that, so it suits me fine - if it comes to a toss-up between a customer buying from me or someone who tacks on extra for AK or HI, bet they will pick me - YEAH! Cool

'Long as we're on the Alaska subject, anyone who has a shipment that they are shipping USPS to Alaska, it would be wise to write out the state name. I used AK and the right zip code (99 something or another) on a shipment a while back. The smart folks at USPS sent it on to Arkansas nyuck, nyuck, nyuck! Shocked Took a while for the order to finally get to the right place. Spoke to the customer about that, and she said it's not unusual at all for them to see their packages with online tracking heading for AR instead of AK (eyeroll)
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
charging extra to ship to Alaska and Hawaii? They cost the same via usps as any where else in the usa?

They only cost the same if you are using USPS PRIORITY MAIL. Parcel post is based on weight and zone - Alaska and Hawaii of course are USUALLY the farest and most expensive shipping zone - unless of course that's where you are at, lol.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah hah, didn't know that! My things are small and lightweight enough to ship first class, so no extra charge is needed.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
They only cost the same if you are using USPS PRIORITY MAIL.

Or First Class. I think some sellers just don't know -- they see other sellers doing it and just copy it. Same goes for the "not responsible for loss or damage" statements...
wood-n-things

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought those would be the responses I would receive. Thanks for your input.

Typically when a person sends another seller a question like that directly. The seller gets offensive, at least this has been my experience in the past. No sense getting someone upset when we have this venue to ask a general question without getting anyone upset.

I didn't intend to point fingers anyway. I really thought that perhaps something had changed with us postal rates and was unable to find anything at the usps site.

You know how things there change all the time, like the postal rates going up again, for the forever stamp in May. I beleive it is going to be 41 cents....now.

EXAMPLES OF NEW PRICES FOR POSTAGE
Effective May 14, 2007

First-Class Mail
Letters, Bill Payment; Greeting Card $ 0.39>>$ 0.41
Wedding Invitation (2-ounce) $ 0.63>>$ 0.58
Postcard $ 0.24>>$ 0.26
Priority Mail
Flat Rate Envelope $ 4.05 >> 4.60
Flat Rate Box $ 8.10>>$ 9.15 **
12-pound (Chicago to Los Angeles) $19.80 >>24.10
Express Mail
Flat Rate Envelope $14.40 >>16.25
1-pound package $18.80 >>19.50
Parcel Post
1-pound package $ 3.95>>$ 4.50
5-pound (Chicago to Los Angeles) $ 9.11 >> 9.50

**Postal Service Governors are requesting reconsideration for the new price of the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box.

So be prepared to be confused again....
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: