eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Canadian seller looking for tips with shipping Matrix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsoapshop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Canadian seller looking for tips with shipping Matrix Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I was wondering if there are any canadian sellers here?
I spent the better part of an afternoon last week figuring out a system for shipping charges using the shipping matrix.

I sell small items so basically My "pounds" in my matrix are 3 oz "units". ex: one 3 oz item would be weighted at 1. a smaller 1.5 oz item would be weighed at .5 .

I went to the canada post site and calculated shipping for different regions of canada and the US and averaged everything out for the countries. Did the same for the UK and australia.

While the system seems to be CLOSE, sometimes it will overcharge. ex: it's cheaper for me to ship to New York than to ship to California. Strangely some part of the US are cheaper to ship to than parts of Canada!.

If any other canadian sellers are out there, i'd be curious to hear how you've optimized your shipping matrix.

thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have USPS Calculated shipping turned on ? That's the only way I can see that you would be getting different costs for different US destinations.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ I ship from Vancouver and I feel your pain. I sell everything from old hankies to heavy ceramics. The matrix is a nightmare. I used fixed price shipping for US and Canada for years and didn't do international. I just finished changing 4 of my stores to the matrix and have one more to go.

I feel I did a pretty good job for single item purchases but if someone wants more than one item, they will get a horrendous shock when they go to check out. Bad enough that they will probably back out completely.

And to top it all off, Canada Post just raised their rates...a lot so I have to edit everything.

I just looked at your store. If that shaving soap is less than 3/4 inch thick packed you can ship it via lite packet for a lot less than small packet.
mjsoapshop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
Do you have USPS Calculated shipping turned on ? That's the only way I can see that you would be getting different costs for different US destinations.

The problem is that I don't ship by USPS because i'm in Canada. Hey.. maybe someday eCrater will have a canadian site Smile
mjsoapshop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
MJ I ship from Vancouver and I feel your pain. I sell everything from old hankies to heavy ceramics. The matrix is a nightmare. I used fixed price shipping for US and Canada for years and didn't do international. I just finished changing 4 of my stores to the matrix and have one more to go.

I feel I did a pretty good job for single item purchases but if someone wants more than one item, they will get a horrendous shock when they go to check out. Bad enough that they will probably back out completely.

And to top it all off, Canada Post just raised their rates...a lot so I have to edit everything.

I just looked at your store. If that shaving soap is less than 3/4 inch thick packed you can ship it via lite packet for a lot less than small packet.

Thanks Maggie. My matrix gives somewhat the opposite result. It's a little bit of a shock for the first item (small packet), but from the 2nd item or up, it's very very gradual. Too bad I can't put in an attachment, I would gladly show you what I put in. If you're curious, i've added a LOT of items to the store, and still working on more. I've removed the hold because it's complete enough to sell at this point.

I guess the best I can do is encourage people to take more than one item.
... which gives me an idea Smile a 6 or 12 pack of soaps could be an option!
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, the real shocker is when you pass the kilo weight limit and have to pay for expedited shipping to the US. My matrix goes from $14 to $33 and that can happen for as little as one gram over the kilo mark.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: