eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Anyone Know the National "Do Not Call" List Number
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMysteriousRose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone Know the National "Do Not Call" List Number Reply with quote

I used to only have a cell phone but, I just purchased landline service last week and already I am receiving telemarketing calls. Does anyone know the number for the U.S. national "Do not call" list? Help!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it online at www.donotcall.gov and don't remember ever calling anybody. I could be wrong; you might want to check it out. Smile
TheMysteriousRose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placing your phone number on the "do not call" doesn't always stop the telemarketers, and believe it or not, political calls are exempt. There just doesn't seem to be a way to totally stop those nuisance phone calls.
TheMysteriousRose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on that one. I answered the phone today to a toll free number wanting to give them a piece of my mind for calling me 3 times a day for the last week. It was a recording of a politician bad-mouthing another candidate. lol.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the link WT gave and then click on the link "Most telemarketers" there is a page of Q&As. Scroll down to the section "Will All Telemarketing Calls Stop If I Register?" and there is some good info on what is and is not covered. Some good info also to use if companies are calling in violation of the DoNotCall List.
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcreekcreations wrote:
I hear you on that one. I answered the phone today to a toll free number wanting to give them a piece of my mind for calling me 3 times a day for the last week. It was a recording of a politician bad-mouthing another candidate. lol.

It got so bad in the weeks leading up to the Iowa caucuses that I finally had to set the telephone ring tone to the lowest volume available, and then I set the answering machine to pick up on the second ring. For the most part, that method worked, but at least once per day I still had to manually disconnect from the caller because the computer that generated the call did not know it was only talking to another machine.
CollectHappy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number is 888.382.1222
It only takes a few seconds to sign in.
Very Happy
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyFarmall, I know what you mean. After the Florida vote it got so quiet I called myself from my cell phone just to confirm the landline was still working. Laughing
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article on Grist gives a way to get rid of junk mail with an app. Didn't say anything about telemarketers.

http://grist.org/list/this-app-gets-rid-of-your-junk-mail/

Sheilah I've done that more times than I can count. I don't like to talk on the phone so don't get many calls but sometimes I go so long without one that I think the phone is out of order.
YayBeads

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this site from my neighbors yesterday and it seems to be very thorough. I'll have some phone calls to make on Tuesday, but most of my worst offenders seem to be listed. I have just gotten to HATE all the junk the postman brings!

https://www.dmachoice.org/dma/member/home.action

As for the phone calls, I'm considering getting an unlisted number. I wonder if it would help.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, be careful what you ask for in doing away with "junk" mail. It doesn't take that much time to sort and it is a good source of revenue for the Postal Service. If everybody stopped the "junk" mail, the cost of shipping would be forced to increase at an even faster rate. Every time I get get a bunch, I say thank you for helping with the Post Office bills so my shipping rates don't go up any faster. Wink
WellspringChakra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, SheilaDees. As an aside, all complaints to the PostMaster General must go by snail mail. He doesn't have an email address listed! hehehe
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm get rid of the land line as it is too expensive for what you get. Cell phones and Skype together are more than enough and soon the ringing of the phone will to be a distant memory. lol

SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

school-yearbooks wrote:
Cell phones and Skype together are more than enough and soon the ringing of the phone will to be a distant memory.
Not at my house! After Hurricane Ivan it took about a week to get electricity back to my house and it took almost a month before the cable company was back on the air. Cell phones in our neighborhood took over 2 weeks to restore. We NEVER lost our land line phone! (Well, maybe during the storm, but I didn't check.) As soon as we had electrical power, I was back on the internet through a dial-up connection. Our neighbors who had generators had dial-up internet before they had access to the street.

I have a close relative who works for a company that sells phone service using an internet connection. It is not recommended for anyone who must stay connected to a phone line for health because the loss of service could be life threatening. They know their service is not as reliable as a land-line.

As far as the "ringing of the phone", I was in a store recently and someone had the old fashion phone ring on their cell phone. I loved it.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: