eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Teachers are encouraged to use technology in the classroom.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Teachers are encouraged to use technology in the classroom. Reply with quote

A student was asked by my friend who happened to be substituting for a science class today, "why aren't you working on your classwork?"
She replied, oh I can do this later at home. I can google all the answers."
I asked a student today, "why aren't you working on your classwork?" She replied, oh I will do this later, I am on facebook right now."
I asked another student today about a 1 page, 10 question, fill in the blank worksheet, "Why don't you hurry up and get your work done before the bell rings.?" He replied, "I will do it later when I can use my google translator."
Beware parents, your children are letting technology think for them. I once read a book by Dean Koontz about a town where everyone was hooked into a computer. Science fiction has a way of becoming fact.
I am getting frustrating trying to teach to these technologically advanced children.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw a news magazine segment about education and the people on the panel ( believe this was in NJ and the people were the superintendant, principals and governor, and there complaint, among others, was that too many teachers were still trying to teach children facts and information instead of teaching them how to retrieve information. It is considered a waste of brain space to store information. That is what a hard drive is for.

Not sure I buy this philosophy but then I am a relic. I sort of enjoy being a relic and being able to go inside myself to think about something.

Consider this: understanding the horrors of war, the trauma of the Holocaust, the pain and suffering of the survivors and its economic consequences because you have studied it versus spending half hour with Google and Wikipedia getting a page full of dates and statistics. Which might make you think twice about starting another war?

Who has a greater appreciation of the food chain? Someone who has grown a garden and raised livestock or someone who buys TV dinners or orders takeout by smart phone and tosses the containers in the garbage? Who is more likely to notice that the earth is dying?

I believe there are repercussions to not knowing how things work and that there are severe consequences to our not knowing.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some valid points for the desire to teach searching and general use of the internet in our schools. It is so sad to see adults that have no idea of how to search on a computer. The students should be taught effective searching in almost every grade level.
The state of the art in computers and the internet is moving at a feverish pace. In just the last two or three years we have seen e books out sell regular books on Amazon. Libraries are right on the verge of extinction. In San Jose California the paid librarian workforce is being replaced by a volunteer workforce. That practice should spread across the nation.
The teachers have quietly and selectively eliminated many of the things we studied as children. I remember in high school that they decided the teaching of the use of a slide rule was a waste of time. That was a good decision. I was stunned to find my son couldn't read a letter from his Grandmother because it was written in cursive. He said that is no longer taught. I'm against that seems like it is important to learn.
I think the planet's peak of teaching technique was in the Ancient Greek time where the professor taught his students philosophy and other subjects in small groups in a garden setting. The students had total freedom to express their view points on most subjects.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Teachers are encouraged to use technology in the classro Reply with quote

lastade-designs wrote:

I asked another student today about a 1 page, 10 question, fill in the blank worksheet, "Why don't you hurry up and get your work done before the bell rings.?" He replied, "I will do it later when I can use my google translator."

Boy, that rang a bell and I've been retired for 10 years! (taught French) I used to just crack up and roll over the Babelfish passages that I would read even back then.

On the last French V final exam I ever gave before I retired, my very best student presented me with a beautifully crafted paragraph containing structures she couldn't possibly have known. It took me about 2 minutes to google a phrase and find the passage she lifted. I gave her the URL of the site she used and told her that her college professors would find them just as fast.

I knew then it was time for me to go. Sad
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's probably a simultaneous translator for the UN now and still Googling.
TheMysteriousRose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was in school and cell phones just started to be the newest "thing". No one even knew about Facebook yet and the touch screen technology was very lax. Still didn't stop people from playing pong & bejeweld on their phones. When they did and they got caught, our teachers would take the device and lock it up in their office and that student got an instant "C" on their grade. Even I get annoyed by "Hey, text me later". You have a PHONE!! CALL ME from it! When I say the word "call" I get treated like an ancient dinosaur. Rolling Eyes

If these teens just can't stop playing with their phones in school and you know they're going to cheat, why not get the school boards together to create a study app for them. Something that allows them to text study questions and answers back and forth to study for a test. That way, they'd still be studying but in a way that is more normal for them and the teacher could still come up with methods to prevent cheating. There are lots of app design programs that allow you to create an app for just a few dollars, and you can even get it designed for you by someone else with experience. Those usually cost a little more but if it was being done for a teacher or a school, you may be able to get one made at a great discount and because it's for educational purposes. Just an idea. Also, it only costs a few dollars to pay to have it upgraded/updated every so often and it would most likely be tax deductible.

Teachers just don't get the credit they deserve these days. It all goes to the internet. I do however, see some things that could be changed to make a vast improvement to the educational curriculum.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish the schools would go back to the format that was used when I was a youth. It seems like there is a 'teachers workday' every Friday. At the parents-teacher conferences the teachers all want the kids to study their classwork for an hour each day. Is that realistic to assign that much homework?
I raised my son as a single dad since he was four. Since I lived in one county and worked in another county I had to get day care in the county that I worked and get paperwork from my home county. Every time there was a teachers workday the day care center tacked on a large fee for lunch costs and extra staff. It became a lot of extra money. More and more kids started going to either private school or home schooling. The parents gave the public schools a bad grade. lol
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:

I doubt it--too lazy. I always thought it would be cool to be a translator, but I looked into it and the testing and skills required (back in the Middle Ages anyhow) were incredibly high.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

school-yearbooks wrote:
It seems like there is a 'teachers workday' every Friday.

Wow, wish I worked in that school district. I am sitting here grading tests on a Sunday.

My concern when I started the topic is that children are using their cell phones in a way that is damaging to them. They should be engaged in learning in the classroom, not texting or googling. They really are becoming addicted to their phones. I am an older teacher and I have seen this problem only increase each year. In the past, when I have asked for their cell phone, they have created such a disturbance as if I was taking their pacifiers away. Now instead of taking away their phones, I take away points on their daily participation grade. When I see them with their heads tilted toward their laps, all I do is wiggle my fingers as if I am texting and then point at them. Then I write down a big P next to their name in my grade book. It does not disrupt anything in my class, I just continue on explaining my lesson. It seems to be working.

Another thing, why do children even need a phone? It seems like every teenager has one and even elementary students are using them. If a parent needs to communicate with their child while they are at school, call the office and leave a message! For goodness sake, let them play on their gizmos at home.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtcollectibles wrote:
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat wrote:

I doubt it--too lazy. I always thought it would be cool to be a translator, but I looked into it and the testing and skills required (back in the Middle Ages anyhow) were incredibly high.

When I lived in France I knew a man who was trying to get recognized, licensed or whatever as a simultaneous translator. I thought he spoke better french than my french teachers but he said they did not allow for the slightest error.

lastade-designs wrote:

My concern when I started the topic is that children are using their cell phones in a way that is damaging to them. They should be engaged in learning in the classroom, not texting or googling. They really are becoming addicted to their phones. I am an older teacher and I have seen this problem only increase each year. In the past, when I have asked for their cell phone, they have created such a disturbance as if I was taking their pacifiers away. Now instead of taking away their phones, I take away points on their daily participation grade. When I see them with their heads tilted toward their laps, all I do is wiggle my fingers as if I am texting and then point at them. Then I write down a big P next to their name in my grade book. It does not disrupt anything in my class, I just continue on explaining my lesson. It seems to be working.

Another thing, why do children even need a phone? It seems like every teenager has one and even elementary students are using them. If a parent needs to communicate with their child while they are at school, call the office and leave a message! For goodness sake, let them play on their gizmos at home.

This is something I don't understand about schools and educational trends. Control has switched from teachers/administrators to children and parents.

When I was in school in the dark ages, if we wanted to smoke we had to leave school property and if we didn't have permission and got caught we got in trouble.
You had to have a hall pass to be outside a classroom except between classes.
You would not wear a halter top to school or have cleavage showing nor boys wear their pants down around their crotch. We didn't wear uniforms but had a dress code.
Of course there were no cell phones, laptops or pocket calculators.

Now I'm not sure why parents send kids to school. It is all about student rights. No one can infringe on their rights to express themselves as individuals. Take away their phones and you are endangering their safety.

Parents are encouraging their kids in this. They want to be in constant contact to make sure they are not in trouble, are where they are supposed to be and that no one is abusing them or their rights. We old fogies forget that the parents of these children aren't very old themselves and particularly if they became parents young themselves are probably not very secure in their roles as parents.

There was evil in the world when we were growing up too. Fear of it just wasn't such a major focus. We were taught to listen to and respect adults. As long as we did we came out okay. Now kids are raised to not allow anyone to tell them what to do.

I'm writing this without the benefit of coffee. I've rambled long enough.
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught 5th grade for almost 30 years. Am retired now. My students had access to 5 computers in the classroom and 2 computer labs. They were only allowed to do designated practice session programs. When there was a research project, it was highly supervised by the teacher and at the county level. Of course, it is probably quite a bit different once they get into high school. I loved making up Power Point presentations that they could use for review keeping in mind that some learn by watching and listening and others by hands-on and still others by reading and thinking. I think there is a valuable place for technology in the classroom but also believe that children need to be taught to think through and reason in order to learn. We did not have computers in school back in the good-old-days and unfortunately I learned mostly by memorizing. It was not until I did some post graduate studies that I finally learned how to learn. That is SAD!
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my 5th grade class. It started out badly and the teacher was soon to be a goner. You could kinda tell it was coming, she was high strung and acted like actress Joan Crawford. One day while she was in front of the class at the blackboard she started crying and finally yelped out that she was going home to mother. After a while the principal came down and said he was taking over the teaching of the class for the rest of the year. Yikes! He had a reputation of being the meanest principal west of the Mississippi River. He turned out to know nothing of fifth grade studies but he loved to talk about military history and we were enthralled with his tales and diagrams of stuff like Custer's Last Stand and civil battles. He taught us some math with the war tales and we did very well overall. It just goes to show that you never know how it is going to work out!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fifth grade teacher was a real winner too. She was ready to retire and really should have already done so. When she di'dn't feel like teaching she would call her son who would come and drive us home by the car load.

There was a rather slow boy in the class and she would bang his head against the blackboard over and over. When he was 30 he died of a brain tumor. Every one in the class who knew about it had one remark to make: Mrs. W murdered RS.

By the way did anyone see the 60 Minutes segment on KohnAcademy last night? Now that is using technology in the classroom.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, I was going to mention that show. It's incredible. I could quickly see the application beyond math and science.

It took a little for DH to catch on to some of the basic concepts - learn at your own speed, the repeat button for areas you are having problems with, a teacher with the time to work one-on-one when you hit a wall, how you won't fall behind 'the class' because everyone is working at the same pace - their own, solidly learning a concept before going on to the next (not just surface learning because the class is moving on)

In college, I had one class that had one class of lecture (200+ in the lecture hall) and the rest of the class was read the text, take a test. Pass the test, go on to the next test. If you got something wrong, there were monitors you could argue your point of view with and change your grade. Some of us worked ahead, some were even with where they should be, and a few ended up taking multiple tests in the same day. I loved it and wished I had more like it. The lectures, by the way, stood independent of the text.
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange that I taught 5th grade for all those years. 5th grade was my worst year ever in school. All of the teachers had white hair and I felt like none of them liked me. I made my only "F" on my report card and that was in science. Then when I went to college science was my special area. Loved teaching it.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: