eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Other ways of payment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a PO Box. I suppose you could also register as a business. Then checks or money orders would to to the business at a PO Box.

Whatever you do though get a PO Box. Even with no address on the site you'll still have a return address on shipped orders.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
moonlightpotionsandlotions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Honestly I was looking for a solution to having her name and address up online. shes scared of those wacko people out there you know? she's had it happen when she was in the military she doesnt want it to happen again.

Also we were trying to find a way to get sells. and we were thinking since we only offered paypal that thaat was part of the problem.

She says she doesnt particularily care for google and its hiden fees so she turned down that idea. but she says for now we will have her name and addy up on the store. but its just for the time being this friday she is going to try to get a business bank account so that she doesnt have to have her name up there.

Thank you all for your help.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She says she doesnt particularily care for google and its hiden fees so she turned down that idea

Hidden fees?? hhhhmmm have no idea what you are thinking BUT google has NO FEES.
PayPal promised YEARS AGO when they first started to ALWAYS BE FREE - that was their tag line. LMAO. They paid sellers $10 a person to get them to sign up too use PayPal. Then lowered it to $5. Then took away the always free. Then changed the limits and created "business accounts"

The online business is every changing. Accept it or don't try to do business on it.

She just needs to have a DBA on her account - moonlightpotionsandlotions - since that's the name of your store.

Quote:
Also we were trying to find a way to get sells. and we were thinking since we only offered paypal that thaat was part of the problem.

Accepting Money orders - IS NOT going to get you more business.
I have always accepted MO - I get about 1 a month. The rest is all PayPal and Google. The reason most buyers shop on line is time - they don't have the time to run around to stores to see if they can find what they want.
Having to run to get a MO just is a hassle. Just easier to click and pay and wait for the package.

You want more sales? Tell me what advertising you are doing. What you doing to promote your business? How are you trying to get customers to walk in your store?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

We have a lot of traffic to the site. thats not the problem, the problem is the 29 days we have been up we have had NO orders what so ever. we had one question the second day we were up. and not any sense then. She is tryign to make this work. we have done everything we can with the limited amount of knowledge and funding that we have.

I have submited the URL to every Search engine I could find that did not charge 19.99 a month just to have your name out there. we cant afford it.

We have made bussiness cards. my mother took a bunch of our products to a big party down in dallas tx. we have a lot of people passing around our name. the people we purchase our ingredients and packaging from we ask them to spread it and such. we have flyers. I, no we, Have done everythign we can think of.... If you have anythign else please tell me. Also I have 2 forums that I created myself and it is on them both and we have 2 other sites Here And Here. We have done our best.

Also what the hell is a DBA?
silvermoonxtreme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBA = Doing Business As

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thank you.

How do you do that?

See she is trying to make this her main source of income.
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermoonxtreme wrote:
DBA = Doing Business As

moonlightpotionsandlotions wrote:
Okay thank you.

How do you do that?

See she is trying to make this her main source of income.

Go to your local City Hall {titles??} the cost runs ~ $35.00-$40.00 some charge more. The certificate allows you to open a business checking account and they are usually renuable every 4 years [here in Cambridge MA] ...the certificate... not the account. Smile

Best Wishes!

Josh, Jordy & The Cookie Lady…Proprietors: Purple Puppy Paws Products

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to have a business checking account MUST you have that certificate?

Can anyone else think of other ways to advertise or is what we are already doing good enough?
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to have a business checking account MUST you have that certificate?

Yes! I do not know of any Bank granting business accounts without a DBA as a minimum requirement. Ligitimate business requires some traditional actions. DBA's are listed with the city and many advertising publications search the records and solicit your listing for their publications as well as many other services. Some are free most are not.

A bientt!

Josh, Jordy & The Cookie Lady…Proprietors: Purple Puppy Paws Products

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Would we have to charge taxes then? and we would most deffinatly have to pay taxes on the business even if we were getting sales am I right?
TheCookieLadyCafe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Would we have to charge taxes then? and we would most deffinatly have to pay taxes on the business even if we were getting sales am I right?

The Government ALWAYS must be paid. That being said...Google taxes for on-line business. The laws are different in each state. Currently in MA tax is collected on a sale only IF you have an On-line & a Physical location. Brick & morter store. Selling from home is not a store. You must research the tax regs for your state.

A bientt!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where I can get he information? We don't want to break any laws or anything you know....

Wow its a lot more intricate than we thought it was............
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, if you are getting good traffic, and having people stop by and browse is not the problem, the next thing you have to do is look at your products, pricing, and terms.

I really have no idea of pricing on your type of product, but the prices sure are low. I know this sounds crazy as crazy can be, but sometimes you can price your things TOO low. I learned this the hard way after leaving Ebay (and being used to the setting things up at the very lowest possible price to get things to sell). Someone emailed me, asking if the product is sterling silver, why is it so cheap? I raised my prices, without raising them outrageously, and my sales increased. Google your keywords and see what the competition is charging. Find a middle ground, and maybe offer an incentive - reduced or free shipping for X amount per order (dollar or minimum order purchase), buy 2, get one free, something like that.

I really agree that not having a street address, no telephone, and a free Yahoo email account would sure make me move on. I COMPLETELY understand your mom not wanting her address and phone number on the internet. Perhaps she could just include the name of the company, city, state and zip code. Get a prepaid cellphone, that way you have a telephone number. You can lookaround on Google, too, for free webhosting, most of them provide email accounts with the hosting, and you can name your domain as closely as possible to moonlightpotionsandlotions, which will keep your email address looking more professional.

Moonlight Potions and Lotions
Somewhere, SomeState Zip code
(xxx) xxx-xxxx

Generally speaking, you must collect and pay sales tax on orders that have a delivery address in the state you reside in. There are exceptions, but that's pretty much a hard and fast rule (for now, anyway). Google your state name and 'resale tax requirments', you'll find the answers.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also change the wording a little on the things that only ship during certain months. Instead of saying, 'no candy ships between x and x', you could say, 'in order to make sure you receive the freshest candy possible, we only ship chocolate candy from x to x', or something like that. Kind of an 'accentuate the positive', it puts you in a more positive light. Cool

Very best of luck!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... okay. So the prices are too low? I was pricing it about a dollar an oz or about that you know?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: