eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Trouble Adding Products

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MillaTresseNaturals

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Trouble Adding Products Reply with quote

Hi!

I am trying to put my store together for the first time. I read through the tutorials, but I am STILL having trouble with adding products.

I have two categories set up, but when I try to add products under those categories, and I press preview to see how my page will look, the categories disappear; and my product is labeled a random product.

i just want to have a category, have someone touch it, and have that thumbnail lead them to a product.

Can someone please help me with this issue?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Adding Products Reply with quote

MillaTresseNaturals wrote:
I have two categories set up

You have one category set up called "Health." And you have one subcategory set up called "Hair Care." You have no products in those categories.

but when I try to add products under those categories, and I press preview to see how my page will look, the categories disappear; and my product is labeled a random product.

Are you remembering to hit Add when you try to list a new product?

There are 2 separate issues with categories. Category is used to organize your store internally and also organize your products in the eCrater marketplace (as opposed to your store). This is done with the pulldown menus in the product listing in your admin.

A seller can also have Featured Categories on the store homepage. This is done in the Categories section of the admin under Basic Setup...and is covered in the FAQ forum under Categories. It used to be that a seller needed 4 or more categories to have them featured. Fewer than that resulted in Random Products, which is what I think you are talking about. Currently on your homepage there are 2 Featured Categories: Health and Hair Care.

i just want to have a category, have someone touch it, and have that thumbnail lead them to a product.

The Featured Categories thumbnails on the store homepage lead to categories, not individual products. There are 2 thumbnails on your homepage, but there are no products listed in the categories. It is also possible to have Featured Items on the homepage, but that has nothing to do with categories.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Adding Products Reply with quote

FoxAndFish wrote:

Are you remembering to hit Add when you try to list a new product?

That would be my first guess, too. You have to hit Add or Add and Exit, which are the "Save" buttons. If you are first going to Preview before you Add, all you did was a typing exercise. Preview takes you away from the listing page and if you didn't Add (Save) it first, it's gone.

Try again and come back to let us know exactly what is happening. Good luck! Smile
Becky
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble Adding Products Reply with quote

I have two categories set up, but when I try to add products under those categories, and I press preview to see how my page will look, the categories disappear; and my product is labeled a random product.

Preview has a slightly different meaning here. It shows you how your store looks for items that have already been added. You have to add the item before it will appear in a Preview.

Also, I think you have to have a minimum number of categories (four ?) before they appear on the front page (or possibly I'm misremembering that). In any case, add the item, click Preview, then click Categories (at the top) and you should see the categories and the item(s) count for each category.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: