eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Required Attributes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musthavejewelrybycarol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Required Attributes Reply with quote

Hi, still finding my way around here. Could someone tell me more about Attributes, and Google Required attributes. Also, does anyone know how often google pulls items for google search?

Thanks so much! Carole
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Google data paths from eCrater:

The first is Google Web Search (GWS). Google Web Search crawls pages. To the best of our knowledge, Google Web Search does not make use of the attributes. GWS makes use of the page title, and the description contents.

The second is Google Product Search (GPS). eCrater sends store feeds to Google Base (GB), which in turn is processed by Google for use by GPS. Google has rather strict requirements for the attributes. Product listings with missing or incorrect attributes, will be flagged with a red '!'. If sufficient number of your product listings are flagged as such, then the entire feed may be discarded. This only affects GPS, and does not affect GWS. If your products are handmade, or sufficient vintage that some of the attributes do not exist, you may request an exemption.

Feeds to GB usually happen twice a week, but that can vary widely. The reporting of a feed result can be delayed (after it has occurred).
musthavejewelrybycarol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Thanks so much Reply with quote

I have been a little bit concerned because I have a lot of items posted and haven't received feedback or "sales". Trying to assess what it is that I could be doing differently. Again, thanks so much
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks so much Reply with quote

musthavejewelrybycarol wrote:
I have a lot of items posted

You have 63 earrings currently. In internet terms, that's minuscule. There are countless millions of earrings for sale on the net.

musthavejewelrybycarol wrote:
Trying to assess what it is that I could be doing differently.

Here are some things to think about:

1. Fill in your store pages: About Us, FAQ, Terms, Contact. This is information a customer could very well want to see...and also establishes you as a store that is occupied, well-considered, and professional.

2. Take more photos. Customers cannot hold your earrings and examine them. They need to see what they look like in sharp, appealing detail. I'm looking at your earrings with hot pink pattern beads. I don't see any pattern...and the beads look lavender. The light is flat, so the metal and beads look dead.

3. Write more informative titles. You have 100 characters. Use them to differentiate the products and appeal to customers. For example, you have 2 products called "Wood Earrings." They look like duplicates, which violates eCrater's terms and is grounds for suspension. So you need to include more details in the title, such as wood color.

4. Write more informative descriptions. "Gorgeous!" doesn't tell the customer anything other than your opinion. How big are the beads, what color are the beads, where would I wear these earrings, what do these earrings go with, what age group would love these earrings, what skin/hair color go great with these earrings, etc etc etc etc etc. Tell a (true) story about your earrings that makes people want to buy them...and buy them from you.

5. Remove all the boilerplate, as it violates both eCrater and Google Product Search guidleines. Your shipping and payment policies belong in Terms and/or FAQ. Your artisan story goes in About Us.

6. Organize your store. If you're selling only earrings, make some categories with your diff. earrings types. If you're selling diff. items, make sub-categories under earrings. For example, I'm looking at your Rasta Hoops, which says "From my Jamaican line." What Jamaican line? If you have a Jamaican line, make a category or sub-category for it so that the customer can find it and you place some marquee value on it. For example, you could put all your feather earrings together, all your basketball wives earrings, etc.

7. Fix your logo. It's overall too small (there's certainly more vertical space to play with), and the font size is nearly unreadable. The logo is on every page, and you want customers to see and remember who you are.
caljackscollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with FoxAndFish. In addition some of your pictures are fuzzy. Also your description contain "boiler plate" items, meaning the same set of info in every listing. I don't think Google likes that. Put your shipping, etc. info in the FAQ section. Re: sales -- takes awhile of much promoting of your shop to get sales. Re: feedback from buyers -- don't be discouraged if you don't get a lot, as it seems eCrater buyers just don't do that. My interpretation of that is no news is good news. Very Happy
musthavejewelrybycarol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Thank you for your feedback Reply with quote

I definitely have a lot of work to do. Hopefully I can get to it soon. Your feedback is truly appreciated, I need all the help I can get. Thanks again!
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said above. In this example
http://musthavejewelrybycarol.ecrater.com/p/13872641/teardrop-earrings-blue

Your title is: Teardrop earrings - blue.
Your description is:
Beautiful teardrop earrings with additional chain. A must have.

The rest is all boilerplate and should be on the about page.

Now first of all the photo is sort of blurry but I can't see any teardrops. They look like round beads to me. The additional chain bit sounds like you send some extra chain in case they want them to be longer. Must have? Why?

What is important but totally ignored by you is that the earrings are one of a kind, hand made by you, are for pierced ears, constructed on ear wires, etc.

You need to add words like glass (or plastic) beads, silver tone (or whatever) earwires, length, casual, professional, special occasion, etc. as these words get searched and will bring in traffic.

Start editing your store by hiding all items with blurry pictures until you can replace them. They make your store look shabby and if that is the first pair a shopper sees they will not look further.

Experiment with lighting until you find the best light and location to take your pictures.

Edit one listing at a time, photo, title, description. Don't copy one description into the next unless they are similar as in both feather, or basketball wives. When you are finished with a listing look at it and read it and see if what is on that page would make you buy the earrings. If not edit it again.

Okay, here is where my stupidity is coming to play. What are basketball wives? I'm assuming it is a reality TV show but if it is, is the term "basketball wives" protected under copyright laws? If so you cannot use the term "basketball wives inspired". If the wives have a line of jewelry out using that name, you surely can't. That would be no differenct than saying Chanel inspired.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beautiful teardrop earrings with additional chain. A must have

Haven't even seen your store, but pulled this from above. "Beautiful, A must have" are all just your opinion which leaves of nine words you used to describe the earrings, only five left that actually say something about your item for sale. If all you could know about earrings is "teardrop earrings with additional chain" would you buy them? what does additional chain have to do with earrings? that sounds like a necklace description. Just giving you an example of what people 'see' when pictures aren't good (or you can't see them) and your description is lacking.
raymondswarehouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Google time delay in accepting attribute,etc corrections!! Reply with quote

slower than molasses to get Google to appove corrections to missing attributes/identifiers, etc. I no longer have ANY missing anything as shown on my Ecrater site...yet when I ask to be approved, they send me back a spreadsheet with items they (Google/Ecrater/who knows?) say are missing attributes and I'm not approved for google feed. They are running so far behind from the real world and their reports to see if you've corrected your items. Very frustrating, spending all the time to make the necessary corrections and then NOTHING HAPPENS and they say you haven't done a thing when the Ecrater site say everything has been taken care of!!!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it does seem like a slow process, it is the only process available. Google rules say if you list on a marketplace, all feeds and customer service must be handled by the marketplace. After you make your corrections, there is some time delay before the next eCrater feed is sent to Google. After it arrives at Google, it has to be reviewed at Google, then the information is returned to eCrater. The staff at eCrater must then send the information back to you via email. Even email isn't instant with some ISPs.

You could create your own website where you could send your own feed to Google. You would only have to wait for Google to reply, sometimes days, and you would not have anyone to help figure out what Google wants, but you might prefer that system.

Remember, the attributes are necessary for the feed to Google Products Search, also called Google Shopping. This is not related to the computer spider bots sending information to Google Main Search when they crawl your store.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: