eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Refunding customer on shipping overcharges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SylvanLane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Refunding customer on shipping overcharges Reply with quote

I use the shipping matrix on sales of china and dinnerware on my other store. Most times it calculates too much shipping on the order. I always refund the customer through PayPal for the shipping overcharges. How do I get the refund taken off the eCrater order so I don't have to pay commission on the refunded amount?

Thanks
Sylvia
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrater doesn't take a commission from shipping
SylvanLane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the information. I was not aware of that.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of refund are you talking about? A couple of bucks or $10-20. In my opinion, actual postage cost going over the matrix by a couple of dollars shouldn't be refunded, especially considering how much time and materials it takes to package up fragile china. Don't forget that the cost is shipping and handling. If it takes you a half an hour to pack up the box, then even going 'over by $10 is not at all something to be refunded. Your time is valuable.

For those like to think that if we sent them a 4oz package and it should cost X and they paid Y and they want the difference of 16 cents back, they can go fly a kite, considering the cost of new envelopes, boxes, bubble wrap, the works.

I realize that this isn't want you asked for help with, but something to think about. Since I don't know your selling name for your dishes, etc. I couldn't look to see what you are doing. I did note that with your Sylvan Lane products you also say the same thing that the shipping rates doesn't come out correctly and you will refund any overages. I too use the matrix and I have it set up to combine shipping and handling and the price always comes in to be what I expected. Are you having trouble with the Matrix that we can help you with?
SylvanLane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your information MoonwishesStore. This last refunded was $3.50. I really must have the Matrix set up wrong for what I want to ship.

Since I believed that I was being charged a fee for the total sale plus the shipping I didn't want to have to pay fees for shipping I refunded to the customer.

Since I know better now, I am not as concerned. But, I would like to have someone help me with the Matrix so I can pre-calculate the shipping more accurately. By the way, my china store here is DinnerWare Diva. Thanks.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came here in 2008, almost 10 years ago! I remember being puzzled by the matrix. For two days, I thought about it the same way I do when I have a sewing problem or trying to decide the best way to make something. Suddenly the light bulb went on and it was as clear as day! First thing you must remember is that computers and computer programs are stupid. They cannot think through things. They only do what you tell them. For setting up the matrix, I realized that if I considered the 'weights' as 'item amounts', I could get the proper postage even when combining items. I calculated the average weight and cost to ship one pattern, plus the cost of shipping supplies and rounded it to a ‘normal’ amount, $3.50 instead of $2.93. I try to have all my prices end in .25, .50, .75, .99 if possible. I put the amount to ship one pattern in column 1 and then how much more to ship the average weight of two items and that amount goes into column 2 and so on. When I hit the amount that will cover Priority Flat rate shipping envelopes, that is as high as I go for USA shipping. I used to be able to do that with international, but no longer since the massive changes upwards on international postage. Anyhow, at this point column 10 is my cut off with $7.00 being the price for shipping while I started at $3.50. From column 10 through column 16 I repeat the amount of $7.00 until 16+ when I put zero.

You may wonder why I quit adding postage after a certain amount and here is why. With the set up on eCRATER we have no way to give a bonus or discount, so I give it to customers that purchase a lot of items. If 10 buyers each buy an item, that is 10 PP or Stripe fees or $3.00. If one buyer buys 10 items, then I only need to pay one $.30 PP/Stripe fee. Also, as I’m sure you are aware, the first ounce is the most expensive, so 10 orders means a lot of ‘wasted’ postage, while one order of 10 covers the postage cost much more equitably. Anyhow, for larger orders they don’t have to pay as much postage per item. I have never had a problem with not collecting enough postage. I do have to be careful when listing a pattern that is heavier than usual such as a six ounce or more pattern. In that case I assign it a weight of 2 instead of one. You can also go below the first weight. The postage stays at the $3.50 amount, but if a skein of thread only weighs a tenth of an ounce, but I want the customer to buy several so I put each of the skein’s weight at 0.1 so that they can get 10 skeins before their shipping price goes up. Customers should like not having to pay gobs of postage for something so lightweight. Haven’t you ever seen mail order companies that charge postage per item so I you are buying 10 one ounce items but having to pay $20 or so because you bought 10 things.

Well I hope this helps you get the lightbulb going off for you. I have been able to add books into my store and other items by listing the item as the weight that would be the shipping that is represented by that amount. If I had two separate stores like you do, the amounts that I put in the matrix would be different to account for the heavier weight.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Moon's reply, keep in mind most ecrater sales will generate a fee (because of advertising). And even if not, you still have the PP / Stripe fee. Plus, any insurance costs. So the actual difference when you add all those up may be less money than you think. Most of these "low cost" or "free shipping" big box stores are losing on the front end, hoping to make it up on the back with larger volumes. But many times, the shipping you get isn't all that special. And I've found more often than not, not insured. We can't risk that obviously. So don't feel too bad about a couple extra dollars here and there to set things right and give quality care to your business. Just my cents 2.0.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refund overages over a dollar. I have shipping, packaging, insurance included in the shipping fee. Since I mostly ship from Canada and the exchange rate is constantly fluctuating my matrix is a little high so I don't lose out if the CA$ increases in value. A few years ago the US and CA $s were at par for almost a year. I protect myself for such times and do a refund when owed. I am not a greedy or nit-picking person so as long as I don't lose out most of the shipping fee I don't do the nickle and dime test.
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
I refund overages over a dollar. I have shipping, packaging, insurance included in the shipping fee. Since I mostly ship from Canada and the exchange rate is constantly fluctuating my matrix is a little high so I don't lose out if the CA$ increases in value. A few years ago the US and CA $s were at par for almost a year. I protect myself for such times and do a refund when owed. I am not a greedy or nit-picking person so as long as I don't lose out most of the shipping fee I don't do the nickle and dime test.

I too refund over a dollar and have my fees included in the item and or shipping..to me its the right thing to do!
Shaelily

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offer free shipping on clothing here but after 10 years of selling it I know exactly what it will cost me to ship it and I keep that in mind when pricing the item.
For non-clothing items I will definitely charge shipping as that varies so greatly (as I imagine items like fine China would). My hubby will be setting up a collectibles store here soon and will be charging shipping too. We also refund over $1.00 but that is usually only needed if the buyer purchases multiple items and the weight is calculated too high since I add the packaging weight in the item weight. The matrix is my backup but I prefer USPS calculated since it costs less than $7 to ship 2 pounds one state away but over $12 to ship the same thing to California.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: