eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Shipping Matrix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoppingobsessions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Shipping Matrix Reply with quote

Can someone please explain the Shipping Matrix to me. I was at first just putting a flat shipping rate on my items but I think I can use the Shipping Matrix to help calculate my shipping charges as well too- Right??? I'm a little confused on what or how to set-up my site for shipping charges. I have items that weight less then a pound to up to 12lbs so I'm not sure what road I should take?? And another problem is that I don't really have the time to sit on the USPS site to get an est. price quote for shipping each item. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks in advance..
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
raspberrynights

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the shipping matrix either. I finally just based my shipping on price range (the way a lot of mail-order catalogs do), then put the charges list in my Terms section.

I think what I have is pretty reasonable and it still allows customers to combine orders. Thankfully, I have enough markup to absorb the costs. (Did you know that UPS charges $8.13 to ship an item one pound or less from the east coast to the west coast? Shocked I about fell out of my chair!)

Anyway, hope you get it figured out soon. The whole shipping question stressed me out for days.

Namaste,
Cheryl
JuliArtz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also something I don't understand. Is this allowing that if you sell more than one of each item, it gives different shipping charges? i.e. 1 = 8.10 buy 2 = 16.50 etc.?? Also not quite sure I understand the meta thingys. Could someone explain that in simple language? I read an answer somewhere else, and it just confused me more. Embarassed
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to write a short article explaining the shipping methods this week.
aidaband

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Meta tags Reply with quote

Title tag: This is displayed by your browser at the top of the browser window.
Meta description tag: There you should enter a short description of the content of your shop.
Meta keywords tag: Relevant keywords for your products, single words or short groups of words separated by commas, but no whole or half sentences.

For the known search engines the description and keyword tag has become less important.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuliArtz wrote:
Also not quite sure I understand the meta thingys. Could someone explain that in simple language? I read an answer somewhere else, and it just confused me more. Embarassed

Try this thread
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=14&start=0
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrater wrote:
I will try to write a short article explaining the shipping methods this week.

Did you happen to get this posted? I'm about to dive in and haven't yet found a good set of directions on the forums..

I've been using the flat rate but I'd much rather have an easy way for shipping to be combined fairly.

What has everyone else done? Are you just checking with the calculator at usps.com and adding in a little extra per weight for handling?

Thanks in advance!
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, actually, I forgot to double-check the "Store Set Up" section where I found the following. Seems pretty straightforward so I'm diving in this evening...

=======================

Could you please explain the shipping matrix?

Shipping matrix is an important part of the weight-based shipping. Sometimes flat rate shipping is not suitable. For example imagine that you are selling post cards, or stamps or t-shirts. If you set a flat rate of $5 per item and somebody orders from your store four post cards the shipping will total $20. Obviously, it is not acceptable to pay $20 just for shipping just of four post cards. Here is where the weight based shipping can help. With the shipping matrix you can set different rates depending on the total order's weight.

- The horizontal represents all weights according to the weight scale you choose in the "Weight Scales" menu.

- The vertical lists all the zones that you have selected in the 'Shipping Zones' menu

- Where the horizontal and the verticals cross, fill out the shipping prices.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: