eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Customer Callback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Customer Callback Reply with quote

Today a customer asked me to call them back to discuss a payment problem. This was likely only my 2nd or 3rd callback since I've been selling on eCrater. The conversation produced several takeaways...

The customer thought that each of the order confirmation emails from eCRATER represented a paid order. Tip of the hap to TheCheapSkirt for bringing this up already. I will have a remark or two to add to that thread as a part of my conversation.

The customer has no interest in signing up for Google Wallet. They want it to work thru PayPal, and be 'as easy as Amazon is'. Had Google Checkout still been available, they might have used that as opposed to PayPal. I think this clearly demonstrates the huge shift in payments this year from Google to PayPal, and the reason why.

The customer did not understand the reason why they were having gift address being declined issues until I explained to them about fraud protection. Their card issuer was AMEX, and apparently they have had fraudulent transactions problems in the past. So I suspect that AMEX has the card on fraud watch. The entire issue about eCRATER accepting any address needs to be clarified w/r/t the card issuer & payment services having the final say-so.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ship to any address the buyer wants after verifying via the email address on their paypal account.

I must say that if I don't begin to have some Google sales soon I am going to remove it from my site. As is it just confuses buyers who don't see PP immediately when they go to check out.
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Their card issuer was AMEX, and apparently they have had fraudulent transactions problems in the past.

IF it's a company AMEX card chances are it's set up with limits .. such as not being able to ship to other addresses. Back in my days of working in the corporatre world accounts I had company employees complaining all the time that they tried to use the AMEX and it didn't work. My reply was always ... was it for business? AMEX has a feel for things and if it's a business card and the corporation that is ultamitly responsible for that payment has its limitation set up that might be the issue.

OR worse if its a purchased AMEX card (like a gift card but AMEX) sometimes the tiny print says not to be used online.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Customer Callback Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
The customer has no interest in signing up for Google Wallet. They want it to work thru PayPal, and be 'as easy as Amazon is'. Had Google Checkout still been available, they might have used that as opposed to PayPal. I think this clearly demonstrates the huge shift in payments this year from Google to PayPal, and the reason why.

Sorry to be dense, but not so clear to me. What is your sense of the reason why the customer didn't want Google Wallet but might have used Google Checkout? Was it a problem with the name alone? Does Google Wallet not seem "as easy as Amazon"...but Google Checkout would have seemed that easy? Is the signup process for a new Google Wallet account different than the signup had been for Google Checkout?

I don't offer PayPal...and never will...so I don't have direct experience with a shift of payments, other than what other sellers have mentioned. My sales are down...but that is attributable to the search baloney, not payment, b/c it started before the Wallet-Checkout name change and b/c sales and views are down even on local-oriented venues where there is no payment specified (Google dropped or buried several classified sites starting in 2010 that used to show up quickly, get prominent ranking, and were effective conduits to eCrater for non-local customers).

I haven't had any customers directly complain about having to sign up for Google Wallet, which doesn't mean anything. I did have one guy (who had asked to use PayPal...and I had to explain that I didn't accept it) write me that he thought Google Wallet was a "cool new way" to pay online.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the second time in a month or two I've had a GCO order that an item was purchased and paid for twice. Last night there was an hour and half gap between the orders, so I'm confused unless they really did want two of the same patterns. So one will be shipped with an email to the buyer to confirm that they want 2 items. I don't know if GCO is doing something different or customers just aren't paying attention. Whether customers use GCO or not, I wouldn't take it down since you never know when you will get that customer that refuses to use PP.

My husband in wanting to get a present for me that was actually a surprise, signed up for a PP account and found it a grueling process. I don't think anything is as 'easy' as Amazon at this point.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Customer Callback Reply with quote

FoxAndFish wrote:
Sorry to be dense, but not so clear to me. What is your sense of the reason why the customer didn't want Google Wallet but might have used Google Checkout? Was it a problem with the name alone? Does Google Wallet not seem "as easy as Amazon"...but Google Checkout would have seemed that easy? Is the signup process for a new Google Wallet account different than the signup had been for Google Checkout?

I don't have a precise answer. My guess is that everyone who was a prior Google Checkout customer (or Google account with Checkout product if you will) automatically got migrated to Wallet. The new Wallet is going to be more comprehensive than Checkout ever was. Beyond that, I don't know if the previous checkout is identical to the new checkout, or if there has been an enhanced information request (to support Wallet). I just know that this customer was turned off by it, and that GCO/GW sales are sharply down from last year. I'm extrapolating, hopefully not too much.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
For the second time in a month or two I've had a GCO order that an item was purchased and paid for twice.

Last night I had a customer order the sale set from me twice, on PayPal, and pay for both orders. The lot count went to -1. Looking at the time stamps on both orders, and on both payments, it suggests that he completed payment #1 before placing order #2, so I don't know how he pulled it off. It's always possible that the time stamps from eCRATER are not precisely synced with the time stamps at PP. I shipped order #1 today, and will hold order #2 for Monday, in the hope that he will get back to me and answer yes/no and really wanting 2 of them. Luckily I have two in stock.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Luckily I have two in stock.

I did too, but most women don't need two identical patterns unless they are making up an entire wedding party of dresses and need different sizes or the patterns to distribute to all the girls to make their own dresses.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Customer Callback Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
I don't have a precise answer.

Drat. Was hoping the customer had given a hint of why he was so turned off and why you thought he might have used Checkout if it had been available...so we could perhaps be prepared for customer resistance in the future or add language to our FAQs/Terms to put customers at ease or whatever and therefore try to stem the decline in Google Wallet orders.

cosmicray wrote:
My guess is that everyone who was a prior Google Checkout customer (or Google account with Checkout product if you will) automatically got migrated to Wallet.

Right. I think the same. Also...my order e-mails still come from Google Checkout. My invoice e-mails say Wallet.

cosmicray wrote:
The new Wallet is going to be more comprehensive than Checkout ever was. Beyond that, I don't know if the previous checkout is identical to the new checkout, or if there has been an enhanced information request (to support Wallet).

Don't know either. On those few occasions when I've had to refresh my memory about how to sign up for an acct, so I could help a new customer, it didn't seem any more difficult or onerous than it ever was, which was not difficult at all. You enter name, address, credit card. How is that not as easy as Amazon, I wonder?

cosmicray wrote:
I just know that this customer was turned off by it

Well, it's a non-expressive name relative to Checkout, with a homogenized logo (relative to the former cart icon). Wallet is something you have, not something you do. "Google Checkout" was a perfect product name, combining the power of the brand with the act involved. "Wallet" suggests that you have funds available somewhere that are applied to a purchase, rather than charging with a card. That said, I don't think a wifty product name per se would turn the average customer off so much that they wouldn't use it. After all, Kindle is a wholly inappropriate name for an electronic reader, but people still buy the product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: