eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How To Upgrade Shipping To Next Day Delivery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukdentalshop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: How To Upgrade Shipping To Next Day Delivery Reply with quote

I charge
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the pound symbol, it cuts off your post. Try not using it
ukdentalshop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that advice. Here was me blaming my iPhone to. Let's try again...

I charge 4 pound delivery for my standard 3-5 day service. I recently had a customer ask if they could pay extra and get next day delivery. This got me thinking of how I could offer this.

Am I allowed to 'sell' a delivery upgrade? Or is this against ecrater rules?
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it for this store (which offers only free standard shipping) by invoicing them directly rather than having them go through the checkout process.

My other store uses the USPS calculated shipping option, so customers can choose the shipping method they want. However if you are not US-based that isn't an option for you, I suppose.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I allowed to 'sell' a delivery upgrade? Or is this against ecrater rules?
No and then yes.

However, you ARE allowed to invoice the customer outside of ecrater with the new shipping especially since they asked for it. Both PP and GCO allow you to invoice customers directly. Personally, I won't do nest day delivery as it is a hassle and has to be done at the PO, before 3:30 which ends up being an hour long trip in and out. I'm not about to give up an hour of my time just so someone can get something the next day that has been up for sale for the last couple of years! Nor do I think most customers are going to be willing to pay the extra cost for next day mail PLUS an hour of my time. I have had buyers ask and I just tell them no.

"An emergency on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part"
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Moonwishes. It's too much of a hassle to have to rush to the post office and get that order out before the next day cut off period. I always feel that if someone is in such a hurry that they can't wait the 2 to 3 days it takes for their package to arrive, then I probably don't want them as a customer anyway because that means that they are impatient, and impatient buyers almost always cause problems. They are usually too quick to complain about mediocre things.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I feel differently. When it gets close to Christmas I send 3-4 Express Mail packages a week. Priority Mail becomes so slow and unreliable during that time of the year (I had several Priority Mail packages sit at the Dallas Main Post office for 3 full days before moving on in the process before Christmas one year), I certainly don't begrudge anyone willing to spend more to ensure their item actually arrives in a timely manner.

Then again I'm already driving to the post office with 50-60 packages a day at that time of the year, what is one more?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One express mail package would make me have to make the trip to the PO as they pick up all my other mail here. I am very leery for years now of promising that I can do something the next day as I get flare ups out the the blue and then I can't walk, can hardly move, much less head off to the PO I'm hurting so bad. My inventory isn't given to needing it right now most of the time, but I do get people wanting to make a formal dress by Saturday night approach me on Wedneday or Thursday afternoon and ask about express mail. I also have the folks that buy something on Mon or Tues and by Friday are climbing the walls as the pattern hasn't gotten there yet and they need to have made the flower girl dress by the weekend! I will ship Priority.

It all womes down to how each person wants to run their business and what the business generally requires. For someone like you cheapskirt, you probably have it all down to a science. The one and only time I did do the express mail thing. I got stuck standing around the PO for over an hour while the clerk tried to figure out what to do!
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One observation about USPS Express Mail ...

Depending on the size of your post office, the size of the community it serves, and the distance to the nearest airport, there may be an early cutoff for Express Mail to be delivered next day. At my local post office, the cutoff is 12 noon (+/-). If I miss the early truck out, it adds another day to the delivery time (which in some cases makes it no better than Priority mail).

The carrier that picks up my packages does not return to the post office in time to make the first truck out. For the final week or holiday shipping, I usually haul the packages in anyway (so it's no big deal for me). The remainder of the year, it requires a special trip.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky in that I live in an area with 20-30 post offices, the latest one (at the airport) accepting Express Mail up to 7pm, and other mail until 8. FedEx in my area will take packages until 10 as long as I take it out to the airport too.

I rarely use carrier pickup (my carrier won't even deliver my USPS shipping supplies so I don't trust her with my outgoing packages).

I generally cut off shipping for the day at 4. If it comes in after 4 it goes out the next day, even Express. Sometimes I can squeeze it in but not when I've got a lot of orders. I just email them to let them know when it will go out, when it will arrive per the USPS Express Mail Service Committments website, and offer to cancel the order if it doesn't meet their delivery needs. Some do, and that's okay.

Last edited by thecheapskirt on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Depending on the size of your post office, the size of the community it serves, and the distance to the nearest airport, there may be an early cutoff for Express Mail

That is why I would have to have everything to my PO by 3:30. If it is late, it isn't going to truly go express. The next closest PO is 10 more miles from mine and it is smaller than mine. The main PO closest to us is around a 40+ miles round trip away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: