eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Store Inventory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellBookandCandle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Store Inventory Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new here, although I've sold on ebay, Amazon and AbeBooks. My store will carry books and other types of media.

Does anyone have any advice on the number of items it's good to have listed before you actually open your store? I'd like to open as soon as possible, but I don't want to start out with too few items listed. Thanks for any help!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
caljackscollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest setting up your store with name, policies, avatar, etc. and start listing items. There is no magic number although the more items you eventually have the more chances you have at selling. Adding a few items initially and adding regularly is good. Also, here you need to promote, promote, and promote some more. Best of luck to you. Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above poster in getting your terms pages, logo, etc. up and start listing. After the first 2-3 books once you know your listings are correct, go for it and open up. We have many sellers with open stores and less than 10 items. Not saying they are getting great sales, but the sooner the search engines can see you, they better in the long run and you just never know when someone will want your item.

Like I said some sellers open with less than 10 items, some have no intention of having more than 100 items and others of us have inventory in the thousands. One of the joys of having your own store. As long as you follow ecrater guidelines, you get to set the rules.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Store Inventory Reply with quote

BellBookandCandle wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm new here, although I've sold on ebay, Amazon and AbeBooks. My store will carry books and other types of media.

Does anyone have any advice on the number of items it's good to have listed before you actually open your store? I'd like to open as soon as possible, but I don't want to start out with too few items listed. Thanks for any help!

Get all your text pages created ... contact, FAQ, Home page etc
Get your shipping set up
etc
once your store is set up
add a product
UNLESS you put it on hold as soon as you add one item is it available for sale

IN MY OPINION, once all your text pages are created your store should be off of hold (assuming you put it on hold) and open for business.
Add a few items and start promoting your store.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. Make sure you fill out the info. pages as all of the other sellers have suggested above. As mentioned also, no there really isn't any magic number to start with but, if you decide that you don't want to open your store until you have a certain amount of items, you can list items while your store is on hold until you get the amount of items that you'd like to start with. Those items just won't show up in the marketplace or in your store and won't be available for purchase until you release the hold. Best of luck to you!
BellBookandCandle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for the tips! I've just uploaded an avatar and home page picture and am now working on my 'About' and 'Terms' pages. Hope to be up soon.
joyfulsleep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more items you have in your store the more sales you are likely to make. I don't think there's any magic number, it very much depends on what you're selling among other things. I think you are viewed more like a serious business the more products you have in your store.

Good luck to you!!
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joyfulsleep wrote:
I think you are viewed more like a serious business the more products you have in your store.

That's true. You wouldn't believe the amount of people that assume that I also must own a brick and mortar store because of the amount of items I have for sale. It also has to do with how professional you try to appear. If you try to explain your terms and such in a way that makes you sound like a professional small business as opposed to saying "this is my online yard sale, I am selling things I no longer need" people tend to hold you to higher standards, even if they can still plainly tell that you are selling mostly used goods from your household.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You wouldn't believe the amount of people that assume that I also must own a brick and mortar store because of the amount of items I have for sale.

Yep, they want to come visit your store. Or they want to pick up what they bought to save the shipping fee. I had a customer once get upset after she bought one pattern with a shipping fee of barely $2 then. She wanted to come get it and thought that the name of my town was an area near her. Nope, she was a good 8 hour drive away. Not sure why she was mad at me about that one Question Even so in the last ten years, even to drive 10 miles there and back to get something costs more that getting it by mail. I just thought it was odd. but others have also asked if they can come see my stuff for themselves. The last thing I want is some stranger pawing through my boxes and boxes of patterns and taking up hours of my time to monitor them only to have them say, you are right, you don't have what I want in the 15-20 thousand patterns here!

The more professional you strive to have your store, the more you keep professionalism in the uppermost of your mind and it shows. I can always tell those that, I don't care how long they say they have sold on ebay or on line, they aren't professional and never will be and their questions to us reflect that as well. AND their sales reflect it as well.
carolinabluelady

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BellBookandCandle - just looked at your store and noticed that you Terms page shows definitions of condition of merchandise. The Terms page should let the buyers know what your store policy terms are with regards to shipping, payment, expected time for shipping, etc.
Usually, sales don't happen as soon as you open - it takes time for your products to get on the search radar and you will need to promote. It can take months.
You might want to look around at some of the stores of the contributors here and check out how they have set up and what you think looks appealing to you to give you some guidelines and ideas.
You probably need to get things set up and start listing product soon - the Christmas season is just about starting.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Christmas season is just about starting.

Last year I was shocked on Halloween night to see a Christmas commercial. I've been seeing them for over a week already this year which means the Christmas season has started! My local CVS store has all their Christmas stuff out as well, Kind of hard to find the treat or trick candy amongst the Christmas stuff!

So yep, open that store just in case.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your main page, to the right of the book avatar, you have a nice space to welcome your shoppers and tell them a little about your store and maybe something about why you love books and media, etc. Make your shoppers feel welcome and at home, so they will window shop now, but come back later to buy.

Also fill out your About section, FAQ section, maybe put your book condition categories there and change your Terms section to talk about your shipping policies and order policies.

Best wishes to you, hope you have many sales.
elpereles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No updates since October 8.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like they have done anything with their store yet. No items added either. Hope they have not decided to abandon their store.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it people come ask questions and then abandon the whole project?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: