eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Out-of-stock products - Why are clients still seeing them?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooking-symphony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Out-of-stock products - Why are clients still seeing them? Reply with quote

Hello!

How do you indicate that a product is out of stock? I click the "hide" option in the listing, but somehow they are still showing. Someone asked me about a product yesterday which has been out of stock for ages?

Thanks for your replies Very Happy
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Out-of-stock products - Why are clients still seeing the Reply with quote

LeCreusetCookwareShop wrote:
I click the "hide" option in the listing, but somehow they are still showing.

Are you clicking "Update" after you select Hide?
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could be seeing the item through Google search as, even long after you delete an item or hide it, that item stays visible in google search for several months sometimes even up to a year or so.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you don't delete it, it stays alive and looks alive to search engines. You may want to leave them undeleted as a means of bringing potential buyers to your store, or leave them undeleted as it makes it easier to restock items (assuming you do). Or you may want to delete them and then eventually they will disappear. But just hiding a listing, only means that someone can't buy the item.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hidden item is not shown in your store or in the eCrater marketplace and it is not submitted on any feeds eCrater may send for your store. The "buy" button is changed to "On Hold".

Any direct link to the item will still allow the item to be seen, but not purchased. If a customer bookmarked the item, a search engine displays a link, someone mentioned the item on a blog with a link, someone mentioned it with a link on Facebook or Twitter, you gave a link to in here on the forum in the Promote your store thread; all those links will be active to the hidden item.

If you delete the item and someone clicks on the link, they were shown a page that says "no such product" without a way to go into your store. There have been suggestions made to have that page include a link to the store. I do not know if this is current or if a link has been added.

Personally, I leave the item hidden with a note that the item is sold and inviting the person to browse my store. If I ever get the same item again, I can refresh the description, add new photos and unhide the item which will then benefit from the old links.
cooking-symphony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Out-of-stock item still showing in searches? Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I leave the item hidden with a note that the item is sold and inviting the person to browse my store. If I ever get the same item again, I can refresh the description, add new photos and unhide the item which will then benefit from the old links.

Thanks for your reply. How do you leave a note to invite people to browse the store? Question

Thanks[/quote]
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You type it in the description at the time you place the item on hold

If you want have the item again you can delete it
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to delete sold items but, I just recently read an article that stated that you should never delete a listing that is hidden, because that listing is linked to the google feeds and can still generate traffic to your store long after the item was sold and hidden. I think that's a good idea, to just keep the item hidden instead of removing it and placing a message where the dscription is that tells buyers your sorry that the item has been sold out but, you'd like to invite them to come take a look at the rest of your items, and then provide them with a URL that they can copy & paste into their browser.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcreekcreations wrote:
because that listing is linked to the google feeds and can still generate traffic to your store long after the item was sold and hidden

Maybe. The URL in question ceases to have any other links within eCrater very quickly after it goes on hold. If there is an organin search engine entry, and people are clicking on it, it might stay in the search engine for a long time. If no one is clicking on it, and there are no links pointing to it, the search engine will eventually remove it (because it appears to be an orphan).
elpereles

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is other topic of this theme.
momsretro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that one of my items was on hold, but I still had the Feature on Homepage (or Category) box checked.... and sure enough, it was still showing on my homepage. Maybe that's where your views are coming from?
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momsretro wrote:
I noticed that one of my items was on hold, but I still had the Feature on Homepage (or Category) box checked.... and sure enough, it was still showing on my homepage. Maybe that's where your views are coming from?

Yep. A suspended store still shows featured items on the home page. Click on one and it says "No such product". Now, if you remove all the images from a featured product, it gets un-featured.
glamourbomb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Customers can still purchase hidden items Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
A hidden item is not shown in your store or in the eCrater marketplace and it is not submitted on any feeds eCrater may send for your store. The "buy" button is changed to "On Hold".

Any direct link to the item will still allow the item to be seen, but not purchased. If a customer bookmarked the item, a search engine displays a link, someone mentioned the item on a blog with a link, someone mentioned it with a link on Facebook or Twitter, you gave a link to in here on the forum in the Promote your store thread; all those links will be active to the hidden item.

Don't mean to hijack this thread and I also don't mean to disagree but the "hide" mode does not work.

Last month I put 4 items in "hide" mode as I was attempting to sell them at a consignment house.

However, 2 items that I specifically put in "hide" mode were purchased and I had to refund the payment much to the disappointment of the buyer.

When I looked at 2 other items that I also put in "hide" mode the "buy" button were still visible. I used a different browser and did not login to my account. I added these items to my cart! But when I switched back to my other browser that was logged into my account, it showed the item was grayed out in "hide" mode.

Rather than have another disappointed buyer, I deleted the items instead. But they have not sold at the consignment house so now I've got to go through the entire rigmarole to relist them.

Sad
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Customers can still purchase hidden items Reply with quote

glamourbomb wrote:
Last month I put 4 items in "hide" mode as I was attempting to sell them at a consignment house.

After you check the 'Hide' box, you must click one of the two 'Update' buttons at the bottom of the page. Did you do this ?

If you honestly believe that Hide is not working for you, then I would suggest contacting the eCRATER team using the Contact link on the front page. All of my items when hidden, can not be purchased.
Misty4m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when a customer purchase your items are they coming from google checkout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: