eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Light boxes for picturing items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaelily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Light boxes for picturing items Reply with quote

Hello all!
I'm branching into a new type of inventory and I'd like to take better photos. The lighting in our house is terrible and I just don't have the setup here like I did for clothing in our warehouse up north.
What do you recommend for photographing small items (makeup, small collectibles, home goods)? I've been looking into the light boxes so that the item is well lit and the background of the item is completely white. Any suggestions and tips would be very helpful!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything flat like patterns, ephemera, postcards, and such I use a scanner. Several years before I even got into selling I found a large flat top on for sale for $25. With no thought of what I would use it for, I bought it. Once I started selling I got scans of books and then patterns. I probably scanned 20000 images before it bit the dust. One of those very faithful items that you hate to see wear out and you know that you certainly got your money's worth! Very Happy

For other items, which generally aren't a lot we use the kitchen table or my cutting table once they have been cleared of clutter.
Shaelily

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been using my son’s little wooden table for picturing so far as it is the perfect size. However, I think the photos come out a little dark and not even remotely professional. That’s perfectly fine for Mercari and I’m selling like crazy over there but for my eCRATER store I’m wondering if better/more professional photos would sell better. Thus the light box idea. I have a great scanner but nothing I have to sell is flat haha.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the best at setting up photos, but the better your photos, the better. I see folks trying to sell patterns that they threw on the floor on either, I assume, dirty carpet or linoleum, with clutter/junk in the background and a dog's snout! Now that is the total opposite of professional! I've also seen they propped against the computer monitor and keyboard with almost as much junk in the photo as I have around my desk! If you are going to do something like that, for crying out loud clean up the clutter. But then there are some sellers that seem to think there is no call to present themselves professionally as it is 'only' a hobby. Even if it is only a hobby, do it well!

Sorry, I can't be of more help. At times I take photos for some of the reviews that I do and that can be fun, like laying out an appropriate tablecloth, set the table with the dishes or silverware that I am reviewing, with glassware, and even perhaps some yummy looking food on a plate. Do I have to do that? No, but if I have the energy it is fun. Not like I get to set nice tables for meals anymore, so doing it temporarily is fun.
MountainHealthLine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Light box for taking pictures Reply with quote

Look on you Tube. I found 2 suggestions I liked for taking pictures of small items. One was made with Foam Boards and the other a cardboard box.
I'm going to try the cardboard box. You need tape, 16 x 16 x 24 packing box from Walmart or close to that size, Inner facing and 2 lamps or possibly 3 depending on the direction you need the light to come from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: