eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Using Vintage In Title
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thriftygalcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Using Vintage In Title Reply with quote

As I was doing a little research on stronger titles using key words, I was wondering if the use of the word VINTAGE starting a title makes it more visible? I'm thinking now maybe better used in the description as apposed to the title, leaving more room for tag words in the title. Thanks in advance!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell a lot of vintage items and I think it is important for the buyer to see that in the title. I sometimes use vtg instead of vintage just to save room at the beginning of the title, so more words show up in search.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I list anything vintage, I always start out my titles with the first word as "Vintage". I want to make sure the buyer can see it because I know that some people are searching specifically for vintage so by all means, put vintage in the title if it applies to your item so buyers can see it. As far as condition goes, I only put the condition in the title if I am listing a brand new clothing item so the buyer can see right away that the item is brand new and not used but, for everything else, the condition goes in the description.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use vintage in titles but not the first words. I want the first words to be specific for what the item is, i.e. black satin evening bag. If it has a desirable brand name I start with that but vintage, used, pre-owned and condition words go at the end. I don't call things vintage that are only a few years old. That is a misnomer and dishonest. It is done a lot on line. Currently if you enter vintage evening bag in eCRATER's search engine you come up with a seller selling brand new evening bags with vintage style frames. This pushes all true vintage evening bags off the first page.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you items is "Vintage". I agree it can be used in the title as description. Now that 99.99999% of the people who search just for vintage and find your stuff. I don't think so.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always a bit leery of abbreviations in the title since I would doubt most would search for 'vtg' but will put the whole word vintage in their search string. I stopped using sz for size long ago when I got here with the more characters to use in our titles. I guess that as long as you have the space, put the whole word vintage in your title but be sure all the other, possibly more important, items are in the title.

Be sure that what you are calling vintage really is. I'm not sure what the definition is of vintage (and everyone has their own definition) but I get cranky when I see vintage used for something less than 20 years old--my kids are older than that and if they are 'vintage' what does that make me? Laughing
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up the word "vintage" in Merriam Webster's dictionary.

I think you will find that more often than not, the word "vintage" is mis-used.
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyFarmall, agree with you. But remember the word is used by some people in the collectibles and antiques area for some old items.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vintage

For example Etsy considers anything older than 20 years like "vintage".
RustyFarmall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never the less, the word "vintage" in any title raises red flags for me.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused about what vintage was a while back myself. At one point MaggieCat had to point out to me that one of my listings stated vintage when in fact the item was not considered vintage yet based on the age of the item that I had listed. I didn't do it on purpose, it was purely ignorance as I was confused about the difference between vintage, antique, and just old. Gotta learn this stuff somehow right?

Plus, I tried looking it up online but every answer that I found on the subject was different so, it seems like people tend to argue over how old an item has to be to be considered vintage. However, most people tend to agree that anything antique has to be at least 100 years old based on what I have read.

But, now that I know what vintage actually is, I went through and corrected a few listings that I had wrongly called vintage. If you do have an item that is truly vintage though, I still don't see a problem with listing it as vintage in the title because some people search for vintage. I have even searched for vintage and vintage style (new items that simply look vintage) items too.
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon, not sure what that makes many of us since we're not quite antiques.
Smile .

I'm not overly fond of the phrase "vintage style." It irritates me when I search for true vintage items and the pages are loaded with vintage style items.JMO
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales sites that specialize in vintage, antique and collectibles all use 20 years and over for vintage and do not allow items less than that to be listed on their site as vintage. For tax, customs, and insurance purposes antiques are items over 100 years old but on line items from the 20s and 30s are often called antique. When I see mid century items listed as antiques I am amused but when I see a original Star Wars figures listed as antique I figure I am an ancient antiquity.
antiques-collectibles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars? Antique? Hehe, saw that the first night it opened in Christiansted St. Croix USVI. When we got out of the theater there was a "Sandy style" storm with gusts to 110 mph and 17" rain in 13 hours. Had to abandon the VW bug halfway home when it started to float and could no longer be steered. Antique, huh? Sheesh. Laughing
thecornerstonecowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Star Wars fan, here. Had just graduated from college when the 1st movie came out and had yet to find a job. Saw it 12 times that summer.

Well, I see by this discussion that I am definitely "vintage".
Glad to know that I am not an "antique" yet.

Hmm, maybe I am "ooak" though....... Very Happy
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately use the term vintage when I list postcards. I will also use antique for post cards prior to the 1920s.

If you do a google search on postcards, you get a ton of sites selling NEW postcards.

If you add the word vintage, you will eliminate most of those sites and get a much better response. So Vintage becomes a key word.

I know gentlemen who believe any car made before World War II is antigue and any car made after that date is a used car.

The Antique Automobile Club of America uses a 25 year cut-off for admission to it's Fall Hershey show (which draws international visitors) - car makes/models must be at least 25 years old.

The idea that being made in a prior era makes something antique is no longer a valid definition. 1900-1999 was the last 'era'. The year 2000 started the next or current era.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: