eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

OH NO, I'm getting old! It's my Birthday!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: OH NO, I'm getting old! It's my Birthday! Reply with quote

So, my birthday is in a few days and I am freaking out. I will be 28. Just 2 years closer to being 30. OH NO! I am so scared. I feel so old, I do not want to be 28. I want to stay young and in my 20's forever, lol. Are there any other sellers here that are my age? Seriously, I am a big kid at heart so, turning 28 is freaking me the hell out. Sad I feel like I should watch a bunch of kids movies on Netflix and buy a teddy bear to remain forever young, LOL!!!! By the way, my hubby did buy me a teddy bear as an early valentines day present.

It was so cute! He is going to take me out for dinner this next weekend and he said he'd buy me some ice cream cupcakes at our local Cold Stone Creamery ice cream restaurant. I'm sorry but, I am freaking the Frick out over turning another year closer to 30. Somebody please help me!!!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was your age I thought I would feel differently when I turned 25, then 30, then 40, and I really thought the sky would fall when I turned 50. All passed calmly till I hit 70 and then I finally freaked. You've got a long way to go baby. Age is a number. Nothing more.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, I have never pictured you as 70 or older. For some reason, my mind's eye sees you as 50 something.

Bear, you are only as old as you act and think. Think young, act young, don't worry if some people think you are a little nuts.
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late, Happy Birthday! Laughing
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm over-reacting a bit but, I just see it as, when I hit 30 it will only be a few short years before I hit 40, then 50 and so on.... Time really does fly as you age and I swear it seems like the older I get, the faster it flies by. By the way, I also imagined Maggie being in her 50's. Oh well, guess I'll just have to suck it up and get through this next birthday. Oh and, thank you Elpereles.
likesthejewels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday!

I love being older (64). I just hate the aches and pains that come with it. LOL
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aging is liberating and empowering especially for women who grow up being told what they can and can't do solely because of their gender. Women have so many more opportunities than they did when I was young and you can give the finger to so many restricting ideas sooner than I could. Go for it girl.

I'm watching Betty White's 2nd Annual 90th Birthday Celebration. Reassuring. But consider this...I am closer to her age than yours Bear.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane Pauly (62) and Tom Brokaw (71) were just on Morning Joe discussing aging. Tom said he had recently been discussing being over 70 with some high school friends and they had been trying to remember anyone in their town who was still alive at 70 when they were kids and couldn't come up with a single name.

When I was a kid my mother's best friend's parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary and reporters from all over came to interview them and put their pics in the papers. That was really rare. Now my sister has been married more than 50 years and they are a very active couple. So have several of my classmates who married right after graduation.

When I was 30 I was having the time of my life. I looked the best in my 30s that I ever had before or since. They were also my highest earning years. Instead of fearing 30 you should be looking forward to it and see it as a gateway to your future.

When I talk with my peers or my sister, I think what surprises us most is that we have passed the numerical number but can't believe it because we do not feel or think like we were expecting to feel when we were young.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday ... you are only as old (or young) as you think and act. The worst birthday of my life was when I turned 25. My hubby started my day by wishing me a Happy Birthday and telling me that now I am a quarter of a century old. I felt ancient. LOL LOL

Over the next few years, that statement changed the way I thought of life. I moved the following year and had a nice couple next door I thought were probably in their mid-60s, until I got to know them. They started talking about how they were the first of their friends to get a crystal set in the 20s and the only radio station they could get in Alabama was New York and ship to shore broadcasts. Then I learned he was forced to retire at 70, but a special rule allowed him to come back for 6 months. He did that for another 5 years. LOL Then I learned they were in their early 80s.

I started assuming I would live to be at least 100. I didn't hit "middle age" until I reached 50 and I guess I can consider myself old when I reach 90. I'll be a "middle aged" 64 this year ...... I remember when Gloria Steinem turned 40 many people tried to reassured her she didn't look 40. Her reply was she did look 40, women have lied about their age for so many years people don't know what 40 looks like. When the bands of my youth are still touring, how can I be old?

I started "collecting" stories successful people who seemed to start careers (or revive forgotten careers) when everyone else was ready to lay down and die (like Col. Sanders, Georgia O'Keeffe, Alberta Hunter, etc.) and people who seem to just keep on going (like George Burns, Betty White, Eubie Blake, etc.)
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I love Betty White. She is an inspiration to us all. She may be older but I think she shows us all that even with age, there's no need to let life get you down. She is still so active and has a great personality. I loved watching her on the Golden Girls show when I was little. My mom & I would watch that show every day together when I was 4, 5, and 6 years old. It was one of the ONLY non child-oriented shows you could get me to watch well that, plus Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and the X Files.

Well, I do have some "almost 30 year old" goals set for myself. I am going to be going back to college for a little bit. The job I have now is great and it pays well (nothing wrong with it) I just want more for myself and my family and the things I want require me to make a little more money that what I am making right now. I'm not suffering or in need of anything, not at all, I just want to be able to purchase my first home and pay off some of my debt.

I am not going to give up on my store though. I'll probably only be in classes 2 days a week so Bear Creek Thrift will remain open full time, nothing will change. In fact, one of my long term goals for going back to college is that, eventually after I am able to afford a home of my own, I plan on saving up and buying a brick & mortar store. It's always been a dream of mine to own a fairly large thrift store & boutique. It will have a thrift store side with everyday items & gifts, and the other side will have a mini boutique offering baby & kids clothing, handmade jewelry & handmade hair accessories. Of course this will take a while to acquire but I know I can do it if I set my goals and stay determined. Also, hubby & I would like to have another baby (or two) at some point but not while we are living in this apartment. I need a home so my children & I can be comfortable.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy belated birthday. I hope you had a nice time. Birthdays can be hard, especially the big ones. I am turning 50 this year, but with having many heath problems, I am thankful for each one. I have lupus, have had 3 strokes and and the many other problems relates to AI diseases, but I am still here and kicking. I would LOVE to make it to where Maggie is and hopefully I will.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. Hopefully everyone here will remain happy and healthy. I haven't had any major health problems yet but, I have had a couple of seizures here lately. Had to go get an EEG done the other day, still waiting for the results. I had a few childhood seizures too so hopefully, they won't come back and tell me that I have a seizure disorder or anything. But, my dad had epilepsy that lasted until he was in his early 30's so, it's very possible.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty White is amazing. On that birthday show they showed clips from 2 early series that I had never seen. I first saw her on Password with her husband and then on Mary Tyler Moore which is one of the best sit coms ever. I don't watch Hot in Cleveland because I find Valerie Bertinelli grating.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a friend having a terrible time with the thought she was turning 40. I reminded her the average life span for women was 84, so she hadn't lived half her life yet.

We have a choir member who is 96 years old. She lives in assisted living and doesn't drive, so one of us picks her up. She gets confused sometimes at practice (we all do!). She has a beautiful soprano voice and she knows all the hymns and all their verses.

My great grandmother sewed awnings until she was 89. When she was in her 90s, my father convinced her she needed to replace the coal furnace (and going into the basement to haul up the ashes) with an oil furnace. She had a tomato garden that did get smaller and smaller as she got older. She died at age 98. She fell and broke her hip. The hospital stay proved to be too much for her heart, which gave out - they had pinned her hip expecting her to recover.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was turning 25. A quarter of a century. It was a hard one for me because I had goals. Goals that were not met at the time. Like owning a house, married, a kid etc
After that I said no more goals!

Now I'm pissed that I can't get senior discounts yet! Lol
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: