eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to Sell on eCrater.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> eCRATER in the news
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JefferysJunction

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: How to Sell on eCrater.com Reply with quote

Helpful article from liquidation.com:
http://www.liquidation.com/c/ecrater.html

View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering when article was published...and why the site analytics run July 2010 to July 2011 (when it's now Feb 2013).
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article was copyrighted 2013.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:

Where did you see that? The page footer bears a 2013 copyright. That doesn't mean the content was created or orginally published 2013. If it is 2013 content, why use analytics from 2010-11?
viewfinders

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no author of the article. No way to know what kind of research was done or where the writer got the information. I only accept what is said because I know eCRATER. If I didn't, I wouldn't know whether the info was good or bad.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:

That's the site copyright not the article
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read the article and I didn't see anything wrong with it. Does it matter who wrote the article, as long as we all know that what they have said about ecrater is accurate and true? I thought it was a great introduction to ecrater, for someone who has never heard of it before.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcreekcreations wrote:
Well, I read the article and I didn't see anything wrong with it. Does it matter who wrote the article, as long as we all know that what they have said about ecrater is accurate and true? I thought it was a great introduction to ecrater, for someone who has never heard of it before.

AMEN!
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearcreekcreations wrote:
Does it matter who wrote the article, as long as we all know that what they have said about ecrater is accurate and true?

In the context of my original questions...which concerned when the article was originally published and why the site analytics were from 2010-11...no.

In the broader context of being an astute consumer of internet content, yes it does matter, very much so. Internet content is largely unvetted...there is oftentimes no professional editorial filter as there would be with, say, a traditional publishing house and there is more often than not an axe to grind, usually financially motivated. Therefore, the onus is on every reader to evaluate not only the content itself but also the source (author) and location (publication host) of the content. For example, a glowing article about an online marketplace written by the marketplace owner is every bit as suspect as a damning article written by a marketplace competitor or disgruntled customer/seller.

This article is hosted on a site whose primary interest is cultivating new buyers for its liquidation inventory...and a way to cultivate new buyers for your own stock is to thump selling venues where those buyers can then unload the merchandise from the liquidator.

The audience for this article is not solely eCrater sellers. In fact, the lead makes it clear that the piece is targeted at sellers looking for new venues outside the large brand names and therefore serves as a type of introduction to eCrater. So the issue that "we all know" the content is "accurate" is irrelevant, as there will be readers who will not have experience selling on eCrater to use as a vetting yardstick.

So how does a reader evaluate whether the content is "accurate and true"? The most prominent feature of this article is the site analytics, which stretch back nearly 3 yrs now. Why? Has the article not been updated since 2011? If so, has the traffic or anything else changed since then? Is the site too lazy, understaffed, or incompetent to do relevant research? If so, what else does the article get wrong? It also doesn't help that the link to "a branded store" (http://buytech4lessla.ecrater.com/) in the first paragraph after the analytics leads to the famous "no such seller"...and that the CNN and BusinessWeek links reference 2009.

"We all know" that 2 yrs is a long time on the internet calendar, where things can change in an eyeblink, esp for selling venues dependent on search engines. BigTall said just the other day in the thread "Which site is your best selling site?" at http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=32531 : "Sales in the past two years have come almost to a hault!" Those of us who have been here for a while know what happened after Google's MayDay and Caffeine in 2010, when eCrater was dropped from the Google index and traffic/sales disappeared seemingly overnight for some sellers.

So an article with outdated content potentially raises questions for an alert reader that could potentially turn off a seller from using eCrater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> eCRATER in the news
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: