eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Charges for marketplace sales
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

thecheapskirt wrote:
If one seller creates $500 in ad revenue for a website over the course of two months, how much do you think the site takes in for ad revenue in a year if they have over a million users? That's $3 billion, right? Did I do the math correctly on that?

Man, I'm in the wrong business!

I think your math is very off.

$500 / 2 months x 12 months x 1 million users = how much?

Or let's say estimate down... $100/year in ad revenue per user with over 1 million users. How much is that?

Make it really low--$5 per year per user for a million users? How much is that?

First I don't know how you calculate eCRATER's ad revenue from your store. As I understand it those ads don't generate any revenue unless they are clicked. Second not all sellers participate in the ad programs.

But ecrater has ads on all marketplace listings, right? Whether or not a seller chooses to have ads in their store? "eCRATER will receive the revenue coming from your pages in the main marketplace." Plus TWO sets of ads for items listed in the main categories or with small images.

How many listings are out there? Well, if every seller had 50 items in a store, that's 50 million Google ads just waiting to be clicked on. If I could make $500 off a store with roughly 250 items on average, imagine what I could do with 50 million ads! I definitely am in the wrong business.

Third if eCRATER was making 3 billion $ every two months I don't think they'd be asking for fees from us.

I did say a year, not every two months. But whatever, ecrater wasn't working out of the goodness of their heart. It is a business. They are definitely making money. And I certainly don't begrudge them that.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back many years ago ...
Back in 2005 I wondered like most people how long will it remain free

My guess was 5 years max

Now here it is 2013 and an extremely reasonable fee is announced
Am I surprised?
No! I've been expecting it for over 3 years! I'm surprised it has taken so long!
I'm surprised that is only 2.9% and only in sales from the marketplace

I don't see this is have much of an effect on those that advertise their own store and products.

I'm excited to see what other changes will be going to us!
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
If one seller creates $500 in ad revenue for a website over the course of two months, how much do you think the site takes in for ad revenue in a year if they have over a million users? That's $3 billion, right? Did I do the math correctly on that?

Man, I'm in the wrong business!

Where I got my two months figure.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
$500 / 2 months x 12 months x 1 million users = how much?
Where did you get that number from ?

My own research suggests that your number is high (by an order of magnitude), and could be off by as much as two orders of magnitude.

It is well known that the number of listings here (active or otherwise) is somewhere north of 4 million. Your number of users, combined with that, does not compute.
sohocosmetics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no problem to pay the 2.9% fee. Hopefully ecrater will help us find more customer to come in and buy more products. Thank You.
thefamilyhome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I will be the nit picker Wink

I find this all very interesting. First I must say, that this is how it starts. I've been around, and know all too well free sites that don't profit from users, go under after a few years, even the ones that stick it out, end up either closing down, or they start charging small fees to make up the cost of running the site.

I've owned and operated over 20 sites, many of them were 100% free to use. I know what a free site can and can not do. One of them is make a profit. A Free site can go stale after 3/4 years online, many of them close due to lack of funds to keep the site going.

eCrater will start out with just this 2.9% marketplace only fee, however as I said before, this is how it starts. If you have never been on a site that went slowly from free to fee, then you many not know how it works.

I know how it works, because I have done that a few times with a few of my websites that I used to own. I started off with a small fee, and slowly over a year grew that up to a paid service. Guess what happened? It ran many of the long time members away from the site.

100% - 2.9% = 97.1%

So, eCrater.com is now 97.1% free.

I came here for 100% free. I know there is an option to disable the marketplace listings, however that would kill traffic. You really can't tell me this is not how it starts, because it is how it starts.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google changed the game plan for everyone. They made changes that no one thought would ever happen, charging for exposure on their shopping element. And they strictly limited anyone who was connected to a pay for play.

Sites have been forced to pay for exposure on Google Shopping.

eCrater is no exception.

I find this a fair, honest and straight arrow site, and think the very modest fee is appropriate and warranted. And it is only affecting a small percentage of sales, and has a mechanism by which you can opt out. I am not alone in hoping for better exposure and growth for eCrater, that will take some money.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You really can't tell me this is not how it starts, because it is how it starts.

I realize that this has happened to many sites. What is amazing is that ecrater survived under the free policy for 9 years! I too came for free, but more than that I came so that I could have a store without some headless turkey changing the rules constantly, imposing fees at the drop of the hat, etc. I don't know how high ecrater's fees would have to be before I dropped out, but they would have to be significant. Granted if they went from free to 15% in fees for everything in a year, I too would probably leave in disgust, but where does one go? Every time I have looked into my own selling website, I can't find one that meets my needs or else it is too expensive and then I would have to monitor a website as well as the store.

If I continues with my sales coming in as they have been this month, only 1/4 of my sales will be subject to this fee, not all of them. The site owner has done us all a great favor with opening this site and I would rather have to pay some fees to have the site healthy than to not pay them and have it dragged into the mud.
oakteakstore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, I have no beef with "it starting" as I'd be happy to pay a little bit in, BUT we need to see something of it. This place is great but it could be GREAT with just a few tweaks. If it gets more traffic, that's great. The fees will more than compensate. If it pays for more site improvements in addition to the ads, all the better. My main beef with other sites wasn't so much the fee, it's the lack of visible use of that fee. If you get my sales to triple, I'll pay your fee, no matter who you are. But taxation without an adequate representation? That's how it starts. That's where eBay and several other places got it oh so wrong, and just shows greed. A bunch of senseless rules that only serves to alienate the community? That's the killing blow.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, if google just stuck with being a multi billion dollar SEARCH engine, this place would still be operating the same.

But it's not just web server fees, there is gas, food, rent, POSTAGE !!! and everything else.

Man 2.9% compared to ebay now 10% I still call ecrater free and they are not even going after every sale which speaks volumes.
What really burns me about ebay is how they have the gull to charge for big pictures, then stab you in the back for ,not as described then rip the money from your hands, !!!
antiques-collectibles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. or YyuuuupP! (Jobless Dave Hester) Send me some actual for real honest-to-goodness paying customers. I'll be happy to pay the 2.9%.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
I've said it before, I have no beef with "it starting" as I'd be happy to pay a little bit in, BUT we need to see something of it. This place is great but it could be GREAT with just a few tweaks. If it gets more traffic, that's great. The fees will more than compensate. If it pays for more site improvements in addition to the ads, all the better. My main beef with other sites wasn't so much the fee, it's the lack of visible use of that fee. If you get my sales to triple, I'll pay your fee, no matter who you are. But taxation without an adequate representation? That's how it starts. That's where eBay and several other places got it oh so wrong, and just shows greed. A bunch of senseless rules that only serves to alienate the community? That's the killing blow.

Sure, but think of the taxation if you opened a walk in business, rent alone is much higher than 2.9%.
Then you have to hope and pray you get traffic, or, guese what, you might have to go back online to sell again. Twisted Evil

I cannot figure out how these huge stores in malls, that pay more than $30,000 a year in rent, and all they sell is candles. aaaaaaaarg.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. Walked in, walked out. Lost the t-shirt. And still get the phone calls "Where is your shop?" I say "It's right here!" while I'm thinking "Where were you?! You had your chance. Now we're online only and it's all your fault!" Wink
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God forbid eCRATER make a little money. What do you think they are? Mendicants? Next thing you know they'll be overthrowing the government with all the money they make from us.

I was just making a statement. There's no need to get rude Maggie Cat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: