eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Survey: Fixed cost or calculated--which do you prefer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I don't think the actual shipping system is anything that buyers care about or prefer as they don't know what is going on in the background to tell them how much their shipping will be. What they do want is fair S&H amounts.

Absolutely agree with this statement. They just want whatever will get them their item quickly, economically and safely. I'd bet that if you asked most buyers what they prefer, they would tell you that was our job to figure out.

MoonwishesStore wrote:
The interesting thing is that other sites don't allow at all for combined shipping.

Every site I've sold on has been irksome for combined shipping; the biggest issue for me has been that two items shipped separately weigh more than the same two items shipped together. I can ship 4 or 5 LPs with the same packaging as 1 LP, so merely adding the individual package weights for a combined order adds an extra pound in packaging materials for each item. In this regard, Ecrater's matrix system has been the closest approximation for combined orders on any of my venues, because I can include the weight (by shipping cost) of the packaging materials as a base-cost in the first column, and then only add the item weights in subsequent columns. Every 5 records warrants a bigger box, and it's also easy to include a little more base-packaging weight/postage every few columns in the Matrix to account for it. I believe this ONLY works for me because my items all weigh about the same (+/- an ounce or two). If I had items of widely varying weights, or items that shipped via different postage classes, I don't see how the Matrix could work at all on combined orders.

I've seen two methods in stand-alone shopping carts that seem to tally combined orders correctly:
1) Each item has two weights assigned to it: one for solo shipping, and one for add-on. For multi-item orders, the heaviest item defaults to the base shipping cost, and the rest of the order calculates with the add-on weights.
2) The weight of the packaging materials is added as a separate figure in the postage calculation. Each item is assigned it's true weight, and the packaging materials are treated like our matrix, with the weight of the materials dependent on the combined weight of the items. Then the weights are added and postage calculated at the end. (A few of my favorite record stores use this system, and I've never been overcharged for postage, even at 20+ items - and I buy from each of them six to eight times a year.)

But even these cases assume that all items will ship by the same postal class.

For a store like yours, DC - where you want to offer Media for some items, 1st class for some, free shipping for some - Fixed Shipping seem like the way to go, and just hope that multi-item custies don't turn away before you can refund or fix their overcharge.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
The problem with fixed shipping item by item is that every time the shipping goes up you have to edit each listing and I have about 500 items in the store.

This might be a nice suggestion to add to the Global Editor - "Adjust fixed shipping" + or -, by % or $.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think the actual shipping system is anything that buyers care about or prefer as they don't know what is going on in the background to tell them how much their shipping will be. What they do want is fair S&H amounts.

I admit it's been a while since we had fixed shipping enabled--many months in fact--but as I recall, fixed shipping was seen on the listing before any information for checkout was added. Has that changed? I'm not sure if this would make a difference, but it could have pros and cons. One pro I can think of is it will provide less steps to finding what the shipping would be. A lot of buyers test the purchase and if they're on the fence, the shipping becomes the deciding factor whether to abandon the cart or go ahead with the purchase. On the other hand, if a buyer is already invested in the purchase process, some will go ahead regardless. If in fact with the new system an address postal code has to be added before any shipping is disclosed, the matter becomes even.

If in fact the fixed shipping is still visible without checkout, the question is whether or not this has any weight in the comparison of which is more popular with buyers: Fixed or calculated. Either is as fair as we can make it, in consideration of time and supply.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
One pro I can think of is it will provide less steps to finding what the shipping would be. A lot of buyers test the purchase and if they're on the fence, the shipping becomes the deciding factor whether to abandon the cart or go ahead with the purchase.

In that case, then just hide the shipping within the item price, and go with Free shipping (i.e. fully subsidized shipping). The buyer then has no reason to not complete the sale (other than the item price looks so high).
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a point, free from the matrix and calculated, we would be able to do that. The irony here is that we had the system set up exactly like this many moons ago--the first time! But we weren't getting combined orders, so went with the matrix and then calculated to accommodate that. The further irony--it made no difference. So waiting on just a little more data and we're probably going to end full circle. I guess the moral here is there is no perfect shipping solution, just priorities. Hopefully this object lesson helps others.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something needs to be clarified here (w/r/t to what I posted just above) ... There really are only 4 kinds of shipping. Which one you select, and how your target customer perceives it, is the real story.

The 4 shipping pricing methods are ...

1. Fully Subsidized.

2. Partially Subsidized.

3. Not Subsidized.

4. Negative Subsidized.

In Fully subsidized shipping, you are paying the entire cost of shipping out of your pocket (or the gross revenue on the sale, how ever you want to look at it). Shipping is shown as "Free" on the listing.

In Partially Subsidized shipping, you are displaying a shipping cost that is under your cost, but not free. You are making up the rest. Depending on the item, and the rate displayed, you might actually break even or make some money, where the zone rate varies from one destination to another. I also sometimes think of this as a blended rate mode.

In Not Subsidized, you are letting the USPS Calculator display a rate, based on the zone difference between the shipper and the destination, and the class of service(s) offered, and which one the buyer picks. You might actually come out ahead a few pennies, because the customer sees the retail rate, and you're using the electronic rate. For customers in zone 8, they will see substantially high shipping, so beware of adverse customer reaction.

In Negative Shipping, you are making more on the shipping than it costs you to ship (in most cases). You may choose to do this because the price of the item to be sold is abnormally low when compared to the cost of shipping. This is how my LEGO parts store is setup. But the price of shipping is fixed for the first 8 ounces, so as the order size grows, the shipping holds the same (until it trips to the 1-pound level). With larger order, I make my profit on the parts, instead of the shipping.

For each of those 4 methods, you have to determine how you are going to pay for the shipping, and how the customer is going to perceive it. Different customers will look at the same thing and think different thoughts, so beware.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The interesting thing is that other sites don't allow at all for combined shipping

Just wanted to clarify that comment. I meant to say that not every site allows for combined shipping. On ebay I had mine set up that way and seems to me that Amazon used to (at least partially) but they don't now.

Interesting thought Cosmicray has on shipping. I'm sending out a partially subsidized international order this morning. when those new rates came in, I had a quandary to charge all international customers the rate it would take for a 5-6 oz 1st class package that costs $11.48 to ship or use the 3-4 oz rate of $8.88. Rather than chase away all international customers, I made the decision to help with the extra cost of the heavier items. While I do lose some, I also am making more international sales than I thought possible after the rate increase.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AudioGasoline wrote:
If I had items of widely varying weights, or items that shipped via different postage classes, I don't see how the Matrix could work at all on combined orders.

I've seen alot of sellers say that and, while most of my items are small and weigh under a certain amount I do have some heavier items and I've never had a problem with multiple item orders using the matrix for 2 items of greatly varying weights but, I have my matrix set up to where the numbers on the number columns basically represent what type of package an item will be shipped in such as 1=small envelope, 2= large envelope, 4=small box and so on instead of the 1, 2, and 4 columns representing pounds.

Sounds complicated but, I've been doing it almost 2 years now and I've never had a screw up and never ended up eating shipping costs. I works out great for me and I've got a way that I enter in the "weights" into the listings so it knows which items can be shipped in the same envelope together based on their actual weight and size (I assign specific ounce numbers to each product to represent certain sizes and weights), and which items cannot be shipped together without increasing the size of the envelope or box.
myoldejunque

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the fixed price shipping. As another person stated earlier, I sell items at a variety of weights and sizes, and ship via a variety of methods. When people purchase multiple items and I can combine them in one package, I refund the overage in the amount paid versus the actual shipping cost. I've never had any complaints.
Five-And-Dime

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Matrix Reply with quote

Matrix is good for me
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the problem dccollectibles is facing. He has items that can fix inside an USPS Small Flat Box to items that need to be send in "custom" boxes.

Until last year. I was using "Fixed Price" because I never took serious time to solve my Shipping Matrix issue. Also lets not forget eCrater ambiguous intention to avoid any update to the shipping system of the site.

I use the Matrix and it is lets headache for S&H and less time spent sending refunds. I made it works very well to a specific point based on shipping supplies (boxes) used to ship.
auntiem

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fixed cost. When selling antiques and collectibles, you just estimate the item and insurance. Calculated shipping might work for a store that sells a lot of the same item. Antique sellers usually have an inventory of 'one of a kind's.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four of the drawbacks to using calculated shipping on ecrater are:

You can't use Googke Checkout coupon codes (a non-issue after November of this year anyway)

You cannot ship to APO addresses via PayPal (already suggested to be fixed by SheilaDee years ago but never addressed by ecrater).

Shipping cost is not prominently displayed until checkout. (I imagine this is why I have many abandoned orders in my store where all items are over 2lbs.)

You cannot include UPS or FedEx as choices, which are often cheaper for heavier packages.

With that said, I've used it for 4 years in one store (not this one)
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecheapskirt wrote:
Shipping cost is not prominently displayed until checkout. (I imagine this is why I have many abandoned orders in my store where all items are over 2lbs.)

Perhaps not prominently, but it is available on a single item basis for the buyer willing to click the link and enter their zip code. Might be nice if it showed the range of values without clicking on the link.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
thecheapskirt wrote:

Perhaps not prominently, but it is available on a single item basis for the buyer willing to click the link and enter their zip code. Might be nice if it showed the range of values without clicking on the link.

It is not prominent enough that I get emails almost every day during my busy season asking how much it costs to ship something. I believe few people see that link, and international buyers give up before going through the various steps to get a result (it sort of looks at one point in the process that the seller will not ship to their country if they do not press the Send button).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: