eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Question About Options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heritagelaceandtreasuresboutique

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Question About Options Reply with quote

In your store when you have the "options", do you or do you not check the box by "do not convert prices into other currencies"?

I am just not sure what to do there. Have sold for several years on Ecrater but that one box I am just not sure of.

I sell in US currency.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the cut & paste below, but it answers your question. You have active UK and AU stores with prices in their currency. If you want to close those two sites AND still sell to those two countries in US dollars from your US site, it's doable, but you have to follow the steps to remove your items from the two sites and then make sure the checkmark is in the box for DoNot Auto convert. I've got to run an errand, but hope this answers your question.

------------------------------------------------

When you open a store on eCRATER, your name is reserved on both the UK and the AU sites. As you create your US store, your logo, text pages, and categories are added to the UK and AU sites, but your categories will show (0) items. Since there is no way to search for a store on eCRATER, your UK and AU stores are probably not ever seen.

In your admin section under Account: Options there is a store option "Do not auto convert prices in other currencies". The default is unchecked. If you ever add UK or AU to your shipping zones and leave that option unchecked, all your items will appear in your UK and/or AU stores in their currenancy. If you don't add the two countries to your shipping matrix and/or add an international method of shipping with the USPS calculated, your items will be active in the UK and AU sites in their currency with free shipping.

If you change your mind after adding the UK and/or AU to your shipping zones AND you leave the "do not auto convert prices in other currencies", the items will continue to be listed in your UK and/or AU stores even if you remove both countries from your shipping zone. (Removing them from the shipping zone after the items have been added to the UK and/or AU WILL NOT close the UK or AU stores, it only prevents sales to those countries from your US store.

To check to see if you have items in the UK or AU marketplace, go to the home page of your store and change the extension in the address bar. The home page for your store is [url]http://YourStoreName.ecrater.com/[/url]
Your UK store is [url]http://YourStoreName.ecrater.co.uk[/url]
Your AU store is [url]http://YourStoreName.ecrater.com.au[/url]

You can quickly check to see if you have items on either site. If you do have items on either site AND you want to close either or both sites, FIRST put a check in the box "Do not auto convert prices in other currencies". Next you will need to run the Global editor, choose "set UK price" and then choose "delete" as an operator. You will need to run the Global editor again, Use Global Editor, choose "set AU price" and then choose "delete" as an operator.

For more information review these two topics in the FAQS

FAQ >Selling in UK http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=28803

FAQ > eCRATER Australia http://community.ecrater.co/viewtopic.php?t=28917
heritagelaceandtreasuresboutique

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Questions On Options Reply with quote

Thank you so much SheilaDeesPostcards for your wonderful help.

It is somewhat confussing to say the least but hopefully I have done it right.

I do sell to several interntional countries and my items are listed in the UK and Australia stores.

I have the countries in my matrix as well as USPS shipping.

I did have the options "do not convert" checked so I unchecked the box. Hopefully I did that one right.

Again, thanks a million!
EWV123

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Questions On Options Reply with quote

I am new to eCrater and still trying to get the hang of all these options,etc. I have no problems shipping overseas and read the post above (thank you SheilaDeesPostcards for the info) but am still a little confused about UK and AU shipping.

I saw in the tips that my auto conversion is on. I looked in my options and see that the do not auto convert is unchecked. Ok. I looked up my store in the UK and see my items being sold in pounds. I checked to make sure shipping cost is being calculated by weight- good there.

So my question is- IF I get an order paid via Pay Pal from the UK or AU- am I going to get it in pounds or ASD or will it be in USD? I want it to be in USD. Am I missing something/ do I need to do something else?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions On Options Reply with quote

EWV123 wrote:

So my question is- IF I get an order paid via Pay Pal from the UK or AU- am I going to get it in pounds or ASD or will it be in USD? I want it to be in USD. Am I missing something/ do I need to do something else?

Transactions from the AU and UK sites come in as British pounds or Australian dollars. Then you can either leave the money in UK or AU currency or convert it. I usually leave it for a few weeks till I figure no refund will be needed and then convert it but whichever you choose, it is instant and at a competitive exchange rate.
EWV123

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions On Options Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
EWV123 wrote:

Transactions from the AU and UK sites come in as British pounds or Australian dollars. Then you can either leave the money in UK or AU currency or convert it. I usually leave it for a few weeks till I figure no refund will be needed and then convert it but whichever you choose, it is instant and at a competitive exchange rate.

Thank you for the quick response "thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat"

Smile In the past on other sites that I have sold through, the buyer usually converts the payment to USD before sending it to me so at least now I know it is not that way here.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can convert the money into USD in PP and can actually set up PP to automatically convert it for you. Twice I had to refunds on the foreign money which was a pain, but not enough to make me want to let the money sit around for weeks before I can use it. Very Happy

Just got a UK order today and since it is the end of the month, I want the money in hand so to speak for my month end paperwork.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Questions On Options Reply with quote

EWV123 wrote:
Smile In the past on other sites that I have sold through, the buyer usually converts the payment to USD before sending it to me so at least now I know it is not that way here.
If you make an international sale from your US store the payment will arrive in US dollars. If you have open UK and/or AU stores and the sale is made in either of those stores, the payment will be in the currency of that store. So, it makes a difference where the customer completed the sale.
EWV123

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Moonwishes- would rather have the money converted right away just b/c when I get an international sale, the money they pay for shipping is used to ship their item/s. I will have to see if my PP is on auto convert. I have never really checked b/c it has never been an issue as I just asked the buyer to please send payment in US Dollars.

I "think" if I am understanding everything that I do have stores open for the UK and AU. I am still learning all the in's and outs of eCrater. When I check those sites I find my items listed in their currency. Thank you for the clarification SheilaDeesPostcards Smile
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your stores are in UK pounds and AU dollars that is right. It may be hard to figure out the auto convert to US dollars in PP, but I like having everything taken care of that way prior to even seeing the sale. I tend to feel like I am following a rabbit trail at times to do things on PP. Very Happy
EWV123

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did look around my PP options. I found where I can convert currency but nothing about auto converting. Maybe it is because I only have a personal account. I'll poke around a bit more later on. IF I get a sale between now and when I get to figuring it out, I'll deal with it.

My main concern was making sure I had shipping cost set up properly and was curious about receiving paymets since eCrater is a bit different than other sites I have sold on. I know it takes a while to learn all the options and such. I really appreciate all the help getting started!! Very Happy
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My main concern was making sure I had shipping cost set up properly and was curious about receiving paymets since eCrater is a bit different than other sites I have sold on.

Just make sure that you aren't charging S&H in PP as that will make a mess of things. How are you using just a personal card on PP? Sounds like you have been selling awhile.
EWV123

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean, the buyer pays for the shipping. Do you mean a handling charge to cover PP fees? I know that is not allowed and do not do that. I have sold stuff on and off for many years due to my hobby. I am not a merchant, not a dealer, do not have a business but do have a LOT of stuff that I need to find new homes for and would rather not deal with Feebay. I asked my hobby friends where they might recommend trying to sell a bunch of vintage stuff other than FeeBay since the sites I sell from mainly are just for the hobby and nothing else. I was directed here and another site. I decided I liked this site better Smile.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people who sell on other sites have shipping amounts set up in PP, but here the shipping has to be set up in ecrater. Those that have it in PP and come here and setup shipping also, run into BIG problems like their customers getting charged double shipping. I only brought it up because of how you had phrased your comment is all.

I was under the impression that when you sell from a venue such as this that you have to convert over to a business PP card. That is all I have ever had so don't know much about it.

As to whether you are a hobby or a business, that depends on how much your make, what you are doing, etc. Regardless of what you call yourself, I hope you know that you have to do the IRS dance on April 15. Some sellers over the years have seemed to think that since they don't make much they don't have to report the income they make (even if from their old used stuff). But that is something that you need to talk to a tax person about or study up well yourself. Running your store as a business also helps to give you tax deductions that you don't get when you are only a 'hobby'.
EWV123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you see I am not a business. I am trying to get rid of things that I have here in the house. I don't buy and resell like some people do, this is just stuff that has been sitting in boxes in storage for over 20+ years. They have been moved from house to house and it is time for them to go. I don't do things like this all the time/all year round- not even in my hobby. Right now being unemployed I am trying to get a few bucks for things but I have NEVER made more than a few hundred dollars a year from anything I have ever sold. The problem is selling- it is hard to find a place to do it and it rarely happens. More than likely I will probably end up donating this stuff but I am giving this a try first. Three is a LOT of stuff/a lot of boxes to go through. The problem with Feebay is by the time I do get a sale and all the fees are taken out, I might as well have donated the item for a tax deduction. Not to worry, I had already talked to my tax guy before I started doing this just in case. My hobby is not a tax deductible thing- I don't' buy and resell there. I am not a dealer, just a collector and it is more trading that anything else but I do occasionally sell items which doesn't add up to much either. I have been doing it on and off for years so yes I do have a Pay Pal account set up for that occasional sale and other personal needs.

If I misunderstood the use for this site- that you have to be a business to sell, I will just close my "store/s" and that will be that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: