eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How do I put in a large single item for local pickup only?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EleanorasAttic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: How do I put in a large single item for local pickup only? Reply with quote

I am trying to list a large, heavy metal Baker's Rack, for local pickup only. I can't figure out a way to do this, since it keeps telling me to add the shipping weight. I estimated it at 65.00 lbs and put that in, but it won't accept it. What do I do to get this right.... I have other furniture to list, also for pickup only, ...and I haven't a clue how to do this so, someone please help ! Thank you, Jan
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
elpereles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that local pick up is available. If you post items in eCrater. It must be available to ship to the 50 states.
EleanorasAttic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re. Local Pickup... Reply with quote

I have a computer posted already, it was uploaded from my Ebay store. That item is For Local pickup only and there was no problem. But now that I want to add new items for local pickup, there doesn't seem to be a way to do it..... Or -- since I just posted the large item on Ebay, is there a way to upload just one or a few new items such as this item or furniture, etc. without the uploader re-adding the items I already brought in? Thanks, Jan
EleanorasAttic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re listing items for local pickup..... Reply with quote

Hmmm... I just tried to find the computer in my store, and apparently it isn't in there, although it shows up in my products list. There has to be a way to do this....I have furniture and other large items to list for local pickup only, I need to get rid of these things before we move ---- anyone know how to do this ?? Thanks, Jan
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to use another site for pick up only items. eCRATER doesn't allow them. You can try Craigslist. It is also free and that is strictly pick up.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecrater requires that ALL items for sale be available to all 50 states. While someone in Hawaii may want it you wouldn't have any way to figure the shipping amounts for each state and circumstance. This is a case of ecrater isn't suitable for each and every product that a person may want to sell. You will have to find a different site to sell these on. What about the classified ads in a local paper? We have a couple Pennysaver type papers that come out in my area with very cheap advertising prices.
EleanorasAttic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re items for local pickup only Reply with quote

OK, guess I will have to find another place to sell those big items. I thought eCrater allowed those listings also. I can list locally, or on Craigslist and I have listed several large things like this on ebay ---- and people came and picked them up, or they arranged for a shipping company, so that works, too! Thanks!
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the item requires a freight shipper, then you might be able to get a price for the most distant continental US location, enter that as a fixed price for US Mainland. For Hawaii and Alaska, do something similar. Then make a notation on the listing that you will ship for prices that do not exceed what is shown, in some cases it might be less, or that you will refund the entire shipping cost if the customer does a live pickup. This also gets into the issue of what type of payment(s) you expect to accept. If you do a live pickup, there would be no tracking number to enter into PayPal, so think about that.

I think there is a way to finagle these into the system, but the CYA shipping cost might scare off any customers that don't take the time to read the listing. If it is an item that you really don't want to think about shipping (e.g. cast iron bath tub), then I'd say craigslist (or similar) is the way to go.
EleanorasAttic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Local Pickup? Reply with quote

I probably could do something like that, but I don't want to go around the rules and get in trouble!!

Maybe the administrators of eCrater should start a section for PICKUP ITEMS ONLY.... they would be flooded with more listings!! Everybody has LARGE ITEMS that they want to unload these days.....
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing I would want to do as well as many sellers I have noticed over the years is pick up only, due to safety concerns, especially for our single lady sellers. I've only ever allowed one pick up and didn't really want to do that.
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Local Pickup? Reply with quote

EleanorasAttic wrote:
I probably could do something like that, but I don't want to go around the rules and get in trouble!!

Maybe the administrators of eCrater should start a section for PICKUP ITEMS ONLY.... they would be flooded with more listings!! Everybody has LARGE ITEMS that they want to unload these days.....
The suggestion made wasn't a way to "go around the rules", it was a way to list your item "within the rules". The rule states, "The sellers must be able to ship throughout the United States". If you are willing to box the item and ship via freight company, then you have complied with the rule. There is nothing in the rules to prevent you from stating the shipping would be refunded if the buyer wants to pickup the item or arrange their own shipping.

I would be all for pickup IF I had a B&M store, but I don't want a stranger coming to my private location after I've posted all the things I have for sale.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't sell items for local pickup only here. You must be willing to ship to all 50 states.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: