eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

ISBN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
intouchwithurworld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: ISBN Reply with quote

I listed a couple of college yearbooks and could find the isbn #'s so I made up some a got a google reject.

Do yearbooks have isbn's? Thx for any help.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ever make up a number, please, you'll just hurt all book sellers. If a book doesn't have an ISBN, it doesn't. There are books published by private publisher even today that do not purchase an ISBN for the book. As far as yearbooks, I've never seen one with an ISBN. I'm not saying they never have one, but I've never seen one and I've sold a lot of yearbooks.

ISBNs were not even in use before 1970 and were in limited use for several years after that date.

If you have a book that is older OR was published without an ISBN, use the Google Attribute of identifier_exists with a value of false.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info about !SBN. They used to se SBN (standard Book Number). Any book that you find with that number you can generally add a leading 1 or 0 and it will work and be correct for the book.

You can not make up an ISBN as those numbers mean something. If you were a regular book sellers, you would know that they first several number will be showing the publisher and location it was published, the rest of the number show which book it is in the publishers domain. Which is why you can't make up a number. It is easy for Google to tell just by the first few numbers that there isn't any such publisher as you have tried to code.

UPC codes do the same thing with the first few numbers representing the manufacturer of the item. Also something that can't be 'made up'
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: