eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Need help, non stop difficulties.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Need help, non stop difficulties. Reply with quote

I've had one problem after another running my shop over the last few weeks. I'm staying with family right now. My computer doesn't have built in wifi so I can't use my computer to access the internet & I can't use an Ethernet cord because my mom's house is huge. There's no way she's gonna let me run a 50+ foot cord through the house & into the room where her internet modem is.

Was using my ipad but I can't upload photos or list new items, a ton of stuff I can't do from that device. I was loaned a family member's laptop to use as often as I need it so that problem has been resolved. Here's my newest problem. I can't print online postage; since I can't access paypal from MY computer I can't print from my computer.

My printer has built in wifi. I know there's a way for me to access that printer via the wifi from any other computer in the house and use air share to print things but I don't know how to set that up. How do I get this laptop to find my printer in the house & connect to it so I can print? If I can't access a printer, then I can't print online postage which means I won't be able to hide the postage costs if I pay at the post office.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessary to hide postage.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not necessary. Since the matrix won't allow you to charge specific prices per each ounce or pound everything under column 1 up to a certain amount of ounces has one set price, and everything in column 2 has a set price up to a certain amount of ounces/pounds as well, and so on. I just didn't want anyone to get upset if they are charged $3.75 for shipping & the post office lable shows I was charged $3.31.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logistically speaking, it's none of the buyers business how much postage is, I never print the amount.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need help, non stop difficulties. Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
My printer has built in wifi. I know there's a way for me to access that printer via the wifi from any other computer in the house and use air share to print things but I don't know how to set that up. How do I get this laptop to find my printer in the house & connect to it so I can print? If I can't access a printer, then I can't print online postage which means I won't be able to hide the postage costs if I pay at the post office.

It's been awhile since I had to do this, but I think you have to first create a network in System Preferences>Sharing. Sorry, that's all I remember. I feel dumb asking, but have you tried doing a search for how to get connected?
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea #2:
Can you plug into the modem long enough to arrange your shipping labels and save them as pdf files, then go plug into the printer to run them? Probably not ideal, but maybe a suitable temporary work around.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the on line postage places allow you to save a postage label as a pdf. That would make it to easy to make multiple copies and use them before you got caught.

Can't help with your wifi or printer problem. I have a printer that is supposedly WiFi capable and tried to use it the other day, put still had to plug the cord from the computer to printer in. Someday I will figure it out. I suspect for you to figure this out will mean checking the instructions for all the different equipment you are trying to use as all these systems are different.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I don't think the on line postage places allow you to save a postage label as a pdf. That would make it to easy to make multiple copies and use them before you got caught.

Can't help with your wifi or printer problem. I have a printer that is supposedly WiFi capable and tried to use it the other day, put still had to plug the cord from the computer to printer in. Someday I will figure it out. I suspect for you to figure this out will mean checking the instructions for all the different equipment you are trying to use as all these systems are different.

what version of windows do you have ?
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what version of windows do you have ?

Haven't got a clue! As she tosses her blond locks and applies whiteout to the computer screen! Smile

I never pat attention to that, That is hubby's job just like laundry is mine.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

Used to be, you could do it in your browser print preferences. I haven't tried in awhile, but with the label window active choose: File>Print, in the pop-up window select PDF>Save As PDF. PayPal may have disabled this, but it used to work.

Or, when you use PayPal labels, it opens the label in a new Pitney Bowes window - you could just keep the label window open between the modem and the printer.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my endicia program and there is no way to save a postage label to a file no matter whether .pdf or .jpg etc. you can do a test print or you can print, period.
AudioGasoline

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to tell you Moon, I just tested it in PayPal labels and Ebay labels and it worked fine in both. Maybe it's restricted in Endicia, or if you have a PC it could be a difference between Mac and PC (I was assuming Tiger has a Mac because she mentioned Air Share).

When you click the Print button you get a Print Preferences/Confirmation pop-up (at least on a Mac you do, but I remember this from my PC days too). In the corner of that pop-up is the menu to save as PDF.

cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I just checked my endicia program and there is no way to save a postage label to a file no matter whether .pdf or .jpg etc. you can do a test print or you can print, period.

Some things are abstracted by the operating system (and it depends on which one you use). Every time I print postage with PayPal, I click Preview to see if the labels are complete and look right. Clicking Preview causes a stealth pdf to be created, and sent to the Preview app. If I had really wanted to, I could have made that pdf no so stealth, and saved it. Since I take photos of the labels on the package, I have no need to save the pdf, so I don't bother. Note that this is for OS X. For people doing things on iOS, the print flow may be different.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you can save in endicia is a postage label layout. You can't save the actual postage label itself. I've never used PP postage. I don't think they even had it when I first started selling on line. I am surprised though that they allow you to save a label and then print it out later. Is there a set limit as to how many times you can print it?
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AudioGasoline wrote:
Idea #2:
Can you plug into the modem long enough to arrange your shipping labels and save them as pdf files, then go plug into the printer to run them? Probably not ideal, but maybe a suitable temporary work around.

I don't think so, I'll try your first suggestion & see what I can do.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: