eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

NEW YEARS DAY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: NEW YEARS DAY Reply with quote

It's here - NEW YEARS DAY 2021- did it come in with a bang for anyone. I went to bed at 10:00pm - I think I missed the bang?

Not at midnight, but at lunch, I ate some Blacked eyed peas, cabbage, 12 grapes, some pork sausage, Pomegranate seeds, and some Chinese Noodles. Everyone better back up and look out; I'm gonna be the luckiest guy in town for whole year.

Well, I got full and did not eat a whole fish or lentils, hope that don't blow my luck?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone!
I only made cabbage, potatoes and kielbasa for dinner today. But I hope I am luckier this year than I was in 2020.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was little boy, my grandmother told me, it was not the eating certain things, that brought luck. She said, "if the family had some blacked eyed peas, pickled cabbage, a piece of salted hog shank and few potatoes left from the past harvest, then we had-had a lucky year".

There's my 2ยข worth of forgotten wisdom. My grandmother Elisabeth, the ladies at church called her Lizzy, I loved her dearly, and she loved me, was born 1892, July I think.

Look there, I am thinking of her, her long grey hair, she lives again in this tiny moment of my mind.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feliz a~o Nuevo! / Happy New Year!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year. I spent the day resting and I don't think I cooked or made any food that day. I was totally turned around and kept wondering what day of the week it was!

Our stimulus checks hit our bank account already plus a surprise money amount that I don't know why I got it.

We have already had two eCRATER orders and 7 Amazon ones. Not a crushing amount of orders but I was in so much pain from the minute I got up and it has only in the last 20 minutes calmed down some.

I got to hear my granddaughter talking and my younger son made spaghetti sauce all on his own and said it tasted just like mine! I am glad that he is learning to cook so he doesn't have to eat out all the time.

So at this point, other than the pain, it is a very good year.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't think I cooked or made any food that day.........................................surprise money amount"

There ya go, go buy a 6 quart modern pressure cooker now. tellin ya, you will be quite happy, cleanup, and how good things taste.

This is the one we got, https://www.amazon.com/Power-Multi-Programmable-Pressure-Steamer/dp/B07GPSDYXD/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=power+quick+pot&qid=1609833077&sr=8-3

but try to get one with Sous Vide function to cook slow in water, and one tall rack and one short rack, and maybe a pan for it.

It is easy and makes things like you been a chef for 20 years. Exclamation
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is easy and makes things like you been a chef for 20 years. Exclamation

I've been a home 'chef' for over 50 years at this point. I have a 6.5 Ninja Foodie that does everything but wash its self. I use it once every two weeks as my cleaning lady that does my dishes only comes every two weeks. I am no longer able to stand up more than a couple of minutes at a time, which makes cooking a bit difficult even with all sorts of gadgets. I do reviews for Amazon and have about every kitchen gadget that is known to women Very Happy. One of my favorites is the rice cooker as it not only cooks the rice, it stops cooking it but keeps it hot for hours if needed. So I stand up to get the rice cooker going, then sit and work on the business then go and cook the food to go over it and so nice that I don't have to be timing two foods at the same time. I love to cook and especially to bake, but literally can't do it much. I used to be able to cook an entire turkey dinner for 12 (someone else making the pies) I never used a timer, and it included making homemade yeast rolls, side dishes, etc. I could have done it with one hand tied behind my back. Now... I can't even pick up the turkey or peel the potatoes Sad

Yesterday and today I have been in the following situation from Fantasy Island "The pain, the pain!" Sad Which means I do nothing in the kitchen today. I got my out going orders done and that seems to be enough.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I hear ya.

It's just I been having things come out so good and I haven't cooked, plus I tell everyone to buy one, LoL

Going to do a Pea soup next, gotta get that bone out of he freezer sooner or later, with this virus the dang store didn't have split peas. Rolling Eyes

I pressure cook the bone first, then just dump the stuff in, 25 minutes, comes out like the way it supposed to taste, take bone out, stir, instantly soup afterwards. just mind blowing really, since I never made it in my life before.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like split pea soup with ham bone, make it all the time. I like mine with olive oil and bit thin, that way saltine crackers go perfect. Wonderful winter soup.

I have pressure cooker, the kind with screw down latches, and the giggler on top. I've had it it 100 years, still works fantastic.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love split pea soup. My husband and son call it giraffe snot so I get it all to myself. My MIL is moving in with my BIL in another state and has sent her ham bone over to my freezer. I've never cooked it in a pressure cooker. Just long and slow on the stove.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cold this morning, here where I live. Has anyone ever watched "Jacque Pepin"? From time to time, he makes (leek and potato soup) with olive oil, little butter, garlic, chicken stock/broth, salt, pepper? it is very simple.

Use one whole (large) leek, chopped 1/2 inch pieces - coarsely. Four or five large garlic cloves (minced), (I know sounds like a lot garlic, but trust me). Sweat the leeks and garlic in the olive oil and butter until they are very soft, pay close attention to leeks and garlic do not let them scorch, pour in 32oz chicken stock/broth, add 32oz water, add pepper, salt to taste, fill pot with potatoes, boil until potatoes fall apart, piping hot. De-Lish with some saltines and little more butter in my serving bowl. And you talk about on the cheap, I can feed on that three or four days for about 6 or 7 bucks.

I have made that soup many times, and I promise, it is de-lish to the fourth degree.

I'm gonna make some today. Wink
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make leek and potato soup from Julia Child. I add cream and puree the whole mess. Doesn't need saltines or any thing else. Leeks are one of my favorite veggies.
2tip3py1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just really like the saltines with mine, if you're really quick, adds a little crunch, I only put one cracker at time. You know it was Jacque's mom that showed him the potato, leek soup and he made it for Julia on her show. Anyway, when the pot is near empty, I do add little whole milk (and one more medium potato) you know, get's me one or two more bowls.

I use a potato masher, don't have a puree tool. I like those leeks too, they are so mild, and to think, they come from the onion family. And leeks are not really hard to clean.

They're hard to find around here, I have to ask the grocer to get me some. He gets them for me in bundles of three, I have two left, they keep long time in the frig.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: