eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

A fabric question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: A fabric question Reply with quote

As there seem to be a considerable number of fabric and sewing people on eCRATER, I have a question … I am trying to locate a roll of material, and I'm not sure what search term(s) to use, as everything I try seems to get stomped on by various search engines trying to be helpful and show me what they think I meant, and not what I am really trying to find.

I'm trying to find the basic material that cotton shoe laces are made from. It needs to be 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide, flat or close to flat, made of cotton not synthetic material, and I want about 15-20 yards of it. I need cotton because I may need to dye it, or tie dye as this project develops. THe color needs to be white, or possibly natural. I do not want round cordage, which (as synthetic fibers) seems to be widely available. For a more visible example of what I'm talking about, look at the images of a pair of Chuck Taylor Converse high top basketball shoes. That is approximately what I'm seeking, but longer and on a roll. I'm willing to consider hemp or jute, as long as it can be dyed.

Backstory: I'm trying to rehabilitate a wedding dress that has a corset lace on the back. The original design had a lace draw string made from interface material, then with sheer material (cut on the bias) stitched in sections along the entire length. The stitching did not survive, and I want to go with something a little more reasonable and probably slightly less prone to fragility. The tye dyeing is an idea I'm playing with. The original lacing has been measured at 12-foot 4-inches, and is slightly stretchy.

Thanks for ideas, and any help.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cosmic, it sounds like you are looking for twill tape. There are a lot of results when you use that as a search term. When my niece got married and I was feeling a lot better than now, I made her a wedding dress that needed laced up the back. I used lace I think. It was supposed to have a zipper but because she was resistant to coming for fittings (her first Idea was to get married in blue jeans) I had to do the lace up to accommodate fitting her as needed in the bust area. It worked well, but wouldn't hold up for long.

If the twill tape doesn't work you could try checking grosgrain ribbon. Usually, it is made with rayon or whatever, but it does look like it comes in cotton as well.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now own a 72-rd roll of white cotton 1/2 inch lightweight twill tape.

It appears to be quite similar to the approximately 20-yd roll of white cotton 1/2 inch lightweight reinforcing tape that was lurking in my sewing supplies kit. The only difference is that the smaller roll may have gently faded color with age. I can only tell the difference by careful examination.

What I have, either one, may be appropriate for the objective in mind. But this leaves me with a couple of questions … what's the difference between lightweight and heavyweight twill tape ? I suspect it will be less of a thickness answer, than one of him many yards of it per pound. The other question is, what is the real/correct name for the material they use to make shoelaces (the wide flat ones, not the oval cross section ones) ? It has to have a name, but no one I've asked has a clue.

TIA

P.S. Dharma Trading has an excellent tutorial on how to tie dye shoe laces, which may lead me thru the process to get the color spectrum I want.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering I have never made a study of twill tape, these are my best guesses according to how it is used in sewing. Lightweight tape can be used to stabilize garments fold lines for lapels on tailored jackets. Lightweight skinny tape to reinforce the seam lines on V-neck neckline as they are on the bias and can stretch out. They can also reinforce and help prevent stretching of knit garment shoulders. Those types of things.

With the heavyweight tape, if it is wide enough it can be used as straps on purses and totes. I would suspect it could be used to reinforce seams in heavy work clothes such as Carhart(R) work clothes, firemen's turn out uniforms, strapping on garment bags, as well as well as anything else that will be subjected to heavy demands.

Hope that helps Very Happy
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://shoelacesexpress.com/collections/spools-of-shoelaces

??? says a lot of feet,,,pun, per roll.

https://shoelacesexpress.com/collections/spools-of-shoelaces/products/spool-cotton-3-8-white

figures,,, sold out,
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want this for shoe laces, I suggest you search for laces, ribbons or trims. I don't think searching for fabric will bring you anything. If you have access to a fabric store or an upholsterer, you might find it good to search in person. They usually have tons of options.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, if they twill tape doesn't work out, I'll keep those choices in mind. 144 yards is way more than I need tho.

The two local fabric stores, Michael's and Jo-Anne, were unable to supply anything close enough to what I wanted. They are glorious stores, crammed full of interesting stuff, but not the mundane stuff I wanted.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: