eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

BOOKSELLER NEWS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: BOOKSELLER NEWS Reply with quote

OCTOBER 20TH, 2017

California Autograph Law Amended by RICH RENNICKS

The controversial “California Autograph Law” has been amended by an ABAA-sponsored bill, AB 228, which was signed into law by the Governor of California last week and is now in effect.

The ABAA especially wants to thank California Assembly Member Todd Gloria for his work in carrying AB 228.

The main affects of this new law are:
1. All books, manuscripts, and correspondence, as well as any ephemera not related to sports or entertainment media, are now categorically excluded from the regulation of “Autographed collectibles” under California’s autograph law.

2. Antiquarian booksellers who deal in the kind of autographed collectibles in the state of California that still fall under the law may now provide an “Express Warranty” guaranteeing the item as authentic, rather than a Certificate of Authenticity. That warranty may be incorporated into an invoice rather than being a separate document, and the requirement to disclose from whom the autographed collectible was purchased has been eliminated.

3. Civil penalties incurred by those subject to the law who fail to comply have been lowered.

For the complete article please use the following link:
https://www.abaa.org/blog/post/california-autograph-law-amended

Very Happy
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this information.
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila -- Found the following information that may be of interest ...

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/75118-california-rescinds-autograph-mandate-for-booksellers.html

California’s controversial law that requires booksellers to obtain a certificate of authenticity before they could sell books autographed by authors has been rescinded.

The move follows a lawsuit filed in May by Book Passage owner Bill Petrocelli and backed by the Pacific Legal Foundation that argued that common bookstore practices like guest author lectures and book signings “are fundamental to First Amendment freedoms.” The original law was enacted to require that store owners certify that any autographed item over $5 carry an authentic signature. The law was passed to fight against the sale of fake memorabilia, but included books.

Petrocelli, as well as other California booksellers, argued that the paperwork involved to meet the new law would make selling copies of autographed books too expensive. Book signings are an important part of booksellers’ business model, with Book Passage, for example, hosting more than 800 signings a year.

Faced with the lawsuit and opposition from booksellers, California governor Jerry Brown signed a bill that exempted books from the law, after which the PLF dropped its lawsuit.

Petrocelli told PW he was happy to return to bookselling without the so-called Autograph Law hanging over his head.

“Something good came out of this process: the opportunity to express to the public the importance of independent bookstores,” said Petrocelli. “Book signings are part and parcel of the interaction between author and reader. It's a dialogue, the kind of thing the First Amendment is designed to allow.”

Posted by maphx on Amazon: 19 Oct, 2017 8:05 AM
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the idiots that think that anything $5 is worth the manpower and paperwork to prove that a signature is authentic? Even baseballs? Really a kid catches a foul ball or popup and gets the ball that he caught autographed and when he is older and his wife says sell (and surprisingly he does), how would he prove that the ball with its signature is authentic? It isn't like there is a an authenticator at the ball park handing out copies of authentic warranty's.

Yes, I can understand the rule, but for things less than $100 at least it sounds like a ridiculous thing and more importantly a very expensive thing. In the last couple of months I picked up two books with a sticker on them saying signed copy. The books are flat signed, but didn't give me the thrill when I was at B&N once and a local author was there selling his first book. He gave me a very personal signature. His first book was great so I hope he is continuing in that pursuit. I also have a 'signature' so to speak from Michael Palmer from correspondence that we emailed back and forth when I had read and reviewed one of his books that featured a couple of people with autism, and i discovered that he too had a child with autism. Now he may not have signed my copy in ink, but to me those emails add value to the book even if no one else would consider that as added value.

I remember hearing about this CA law and thought it was stupid then. Very glad to hear that someone out there hadn't lost all their marbles!
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@YourRainyDayBookStore, interesting article including the comments. Thanks for posting the link.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: