eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Scale Brands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Scale Brands Reply with quote

Okay, I have now gone through I think 4 scales since starting to sell on line 12 years ago. I don't know for sure what is the problem, but if I'm going to spend money for another one, again Evil or Very Mad , I would like to know what a good brand is and one that doesn't take up much counter space. The last scale I replaced can still do the heavy boxes accurately, and big boxes are rare for me. I just need one that is good for the first couple pounds by ounces.

Any suggestions. I've had Ultra scales before and my current one is a freebie from Stamps.com that a fellow seller gave me since he didn't need it. Even with nothing on it, it goes from zero up to .5 and back down. I had to check for the last time I sold a particular pattern today as I wasn't real sure what the right weight was.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received 2 scales about 12 years ago from a mystery shopping company that I did jobs for. Both were 5 pound digital scales that could also give weight in grams. I'm still using one of them and the other one was working until about 6 months ago when I dropped it. The name brand is Terraillon. I looked it up and they are still around.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jigsaw. That is what I like something that will last. Once when I ordered a new scale, for some reason they sent me two in two different packing boxes. The first one I tried didn't work at all even once it had a chance to warm up since it was pretty cold out when delivered. The other one worked just fine, for a few years........... Sad
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is DigiWeigh and I've had it since I first started selling on line. Paid about $20 or so for it new on eBay and it is still going fine. It is battery operated (9 volt) and starts at a fraction of an ounce or .001 kilograms and goes to 60 pounds which I've never used. I think I've replaced the battery twice.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked up the Terraillon brand of scales and they must not make them like they used to. On Amazon most of them didn't break past 3 stars and a lot stayed in the 1-2 star reviews generally because they didn't work.

I found a scale on Amazon that has what I need and had terrific reviews and at a right price. Added in an extra Sewing book to get the 'free' shipping and had bonus points suck up some of the cost. Hope I should get it this week as my old one has gotten truly annoying. The new one will weigh up to 25#, which is generally the most I can pick up on a good day and only ship something that heavy once a year but then I am the family PO . So much easier to have me do postage after hours than try to get to the PO when it is open.
AmericanEdge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiethehousecat wrote:
Mine is DigiWeigh and I've had it since I first started selling on line. Paid about $20 or so for it new on eBay and it is still going fine. It is battery operated (9 volt) and starts at a fraction of an ounce or .001 kilograms and goes to 60 pounds which I've never used. I think I've replaced the battery twice.

I had a DigiWeigh like yours for the past eight years. Replaced the battery once. Paid about the same price on the Bay.
Bought two and gave one to my son-in-law. Both work just fine and always give accurate weights, even for small packages.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
always give accurate weights

That is something I never had problems with when I had the Ultra scales until they started dying on me. Whenever I get a new scale I have the PO double check the weights on any packages going out right at the desk (not the scale for customers use) so we both know that I've got accurate weights on my packages.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new scale in the mail the other day. It is a TREE brand. My husband had some weights that he uses to test key weights on pianos and we were able to be sure that the scale was completely correct right down to the tiniest milligram. Has a nice broad top and I can weigh up to 35# and more importantly by the ounce. Hubby thought we should save the packaging to be sure it works for more than a day or so before 'tossing' them. Yet more recyclable items for shipping.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: