eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Are men's skinny neckties still in style or worth selling?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Are men's skinny neckties still in style or worth selling? Reply with quote

Are men's skinny narrow neckties still in style? I bought a big lot of new/old stock skinny ties at auction today. I am guessing they are from the 1960's or so, but not sure? The price label is attached inside each tie, and says 100% silk along with the price. The brand is not on the label, however, they were in a large cardboard box that is printed "Wembley, slip stitched quality", and I think Wembley might be a necktie brand? They are about 54 inches long (is that short for a necktie?). They are all a similar pattern in lots of different colors, so lots of them are identical. I am wondering if guys still wear these narrow ties? They might not be worth the time to deal with? This is pretty much out of my normal area of inventory, but could not pass it up. You all know how that goes.

Also included in the box was a big bunch of new white neckties, still in individual original plastic sheaths with cardboard inserts. They are in bundles of 10 or so with a paper printed band around the bundle that says "as seen on TV", but there are no other tags or labels. I am not sure of brand or material on these either, so maybe it is not worth listing these? Would make great dress ties, especially if someone needed several matching ones for a wedding or other event.

Someone at the auction said that folks use neckties for craft projects such as quilts, or other decorative projects. Maybe if these are really out of style I should just offer them in bulk lots for a project?

Thanks for your help.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinny ties are actually quite popular ever since Mad Men came out. However they are also easy to find in stores so you will have a lot if competition for them even if they are true vintage, as there are a lot of stores (Urban Outfitters, etc) that sell repro vintage (new items made to look old).

A popular thing on Etsy has been stamping vintage ties with a pattern to make them unique. Or hand painting them. If you are crafty like that.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Nobody at all "crafty" here. Even when a button comes off a shirt, we just hang it in the back of the closet, and - funny thing - after awhile the shirt "shrinks" or somehow does not fit any more. Usually we just get rid of it and buy another shirt. Wink

These neckties were priced at $13.50 each back when they were on the store shelf. That seems like it might be cheap for a silk tie now.

If I put these in lots, I wonder if it would be best to pick one of several colors (same pattern) to sell as a lot? Or I wonder if a typical bulk lot buyer would want several of the same color, for example to make a quilt?
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinny ties are still popular among Madmen fans and retro dressers. They are also used in crafts. People weave with them, make dolls and all sorts of things I'd never think of. If they were $13.50 back then, they would be quite good ties in today's money.

People who use them in crafts don't want to pay a lot for them. Depending on what you paid for them I'd choose a few of the most interesting to list individually and the more ho-hum in lots.

Also the white ties...list them in bulk for choirs, men's groups, bands, orchestras, etc. where uniformity in dress might be required.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been buying silk ties as I see them at the thrift store as I have a project I want to make out of them. Maggie is right though, I pay about 50 cents for each tie no matter the brand or label. but if you find that you can't sell them individually or in lots to wear, you can sell them to crafts, quilters, etc. Just hearing about the bunches of white ties I was thinking that it is hard when scavenging ties to get enough of one color to have a border or sashing in a tie project and a bunch of all the same color would be great especially if they take dye well.

I first started doing this as I wanted to learn how to work with silk and I read about some neat projects that could be made with them. I never have had silk to sew with due to the expense, so this was a cheap way to get that fabric and learn how to sew with it. Seems like you should get interest in the ties somehow, depending on how much you are trying to sell them for. Let us know how it goes, I at least would be interested. Very Happy
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had several nice ties I listed and sold those 2 or 3 together then I had maybe 20 to 30 not so interesting I sold them all together the person that bought them was going to make a quilt
I suggest you go and look around on ebay to see if any are like yours and if there selling..good luck
elpereles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw kids to 90 years grandfathers wearing it. Wink
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always going to be someone who wants & appreciates vintage items. If it were me, I'd sell the white ties in a lot like someone mentioned. maybe a choir or group might want them. Then sell everything else individually or in lots of 2 or 3.
campingoutlet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck selling non branded ties. just sell them for like $4, charge $1 shipping, ship first class for $2, and take your $3 per tie. to be truthful with you, you prob will never sell them. maybe sell the whole lot at once and hope somebody else thinks they can sell them individually.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingoutlet wrote:
to be truthful with you, you prob will never sell them.

You don't know that for a fact. I've seen stuff sell online that was absolute garbage, so why would she have a problem selling good vintage ties in decent condition? Also, $1.00 for shipping? Even at a commercial base rate you cannot ship anything for $1.00, not even a package that only weighs 1 ounce! So if you only charge $1 for shipping, you are losing money & eating the costs. The only thing I know of that could ship for even close to $1 is something lightweight enough to be mailed in an envelope with one stamp affixed to it which does not include delivery confirmation or proper padding/packaging, so if you mail anything out like that it's not a good business practice.

Unless...you have found some new shipping method that includes deliv. confirmation & only costs a buck, then please, do tell because I'm sure the other sellers would love to know about it.
campingoutlet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigercreekgifts wrote:
campingoutlet wrote:
to be truthful with you, you prob will never sell them.

You don't know that for a fact. I've seen stuff sell online that was absolute garbage, so why would she have a problem selling good vintage ties in decent condition? Also, $1.00 for shipping? Even at a commercial base rate you cannot ship anything for $1.00, not even a package that only weighs 1 ounce! So if you only charge $1 for shipping, you are losing money & eating the costs. The only thing I know of that could ship for even close to $1 is something lightweight enough to be mailed in an envelope with one stamp affixed to it which does not include delivery confirmation or proper padding/packaging, so if you mail anything out like that it's not a good business practice.

Unless...you have found some new shipping method that includes deliv. confirmation & only costs a buck, then please, do tell because I'm sure the other sellers would love to know about it.
you dont have to charge exactly what shipping costs. if anything you want shipping to look cheap , people hate paying shipping. its 2014, everyone has free shipping. some even have free returns. its costs at most $2 to ship a tie USPS first class package.
tigercreekgifts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingoutlet wrote:
its 2014, everyone has free shipping.

Not me, or most of the other dedicated sellers on this forum. Just because everyone else is offering it, doesn't make me feel anymore inclined to do so myself. You know, as the old saying goes....

If your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too just because they did it? Well, that was a bad analogy, because in my case I probably would jump off a bridge. I do a lot of extreme sports in the summer. Anyway, you get the point.

As long as you have other things to offer your customers to keep them coming back, I don't see a need to copy every other Tom, Dick & Harry.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
Skinny ties are still popular among Madmen fans and retro dressers. They are also used in crafts. People weave with them, make dolls and all sorts of things I'd never think of. If they were $13.50 back then, they would be quite good ties in today's money.

People who use them in crafts don't want to pay a lot for them. Depending on what you paid for them I'd choose a few of the most interesting to list individually and the more ho-hum in lots.

Also the white ties...list them in bulk for choirs, men's groups, bands, orchestras, etc. where uniformity in dress might be required.

I put the white ties in bundles of 5 ties for $19.99 a bundle. They are in their original packages. These white ties are not skinny ties, but are excellent fancy new/old stock dressy ties.

For the silk skinny ties which are also new/old stock, I found some heavy duty plastic display bags that I had gotten in a pile of stuff from an auction (big rolls of bags that I got for nothing). These bags were for store display of a product like a scarf, gloves, or ties, and even have a hole at the top made for hanging on a store rack. They were perfect for an individual tie when folded. I have packaged the skinny ties to sell individually at $2.99 each. Since I was able to package all the ties in a nice manner, rather than a jumbled pile, maybe this will give the best opportunity for them to sell.

For now I will try some of these in two separate Antique Mall/Flea Markets where I have booths, and some in my antique shop. It sounds like this product is one that folks might prefer to see and touch in person, rather than online. At this price, the ties might be something that someone will buy on impulse for themselves, or as a gift.

If I get rich on neckties, I will let you all know.

If there are more ideas, I am still open to trying them.

Thanks.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:

If I get rich on neckties, I will let you all know.

Laughing Don't forget us little people! When you become a tie magnate, we can all say we remember you from back when... LOL
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure when you list them on line use keywords for crafting and quilting.

In case some of you would like to see what can be done with old silk neckties, check out my Pin board http://www.pinterest.com/gailetesews/mens-tie-projects/
I have a bunch of ties waiting for a project and the physical energy to make it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: