eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

ok surrendered to paypal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raspberrynights

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: ok surrendered to paypal Reply with quote

I've decided to take a chance using paypal, although still a bit leery.

No payment system is perfect, but PP is the most used and recognized. Until I can get a regular merchant account set up, I don't feel that I have any other choice if I want to make some sales.

Wish me luck, folks. Laughing

Namaste,
Cheryl
THEFlagCompany

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my own merchant account and use paypal for my store and ebay. I have only had one problem in several years and it was handled promptly. The paypal fee is a little more than my own merchant account but for the convenience and name recoginization I think it is worth it!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
raspberrynights

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear about a good experience for a change. Very Happy

PP has over 100 million users. They must be doing something right.

Namaste,
Cheryl
dahawaiiankinestore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right to be wary of PP. I was a PP member since they opened until recently. They were great once upon a time, but since eBay bought them they have gone downhill fast.

My PP account was locked because I had a customer who got their account locked. Because they had sent me money I was considered to be "associated" with them. I got it straightened out after hours on the phone and many weeks had gone by, but I had over $5K in the account when it was locked. I ended up having a lot of unhappy customers who had to wait for merchandise because I couldn't access their funds (I had the debit card so didn't need to transfer the money to my bank account).

PP is not a bank and so is not required to adhere to federal banking laws. They are their own authority and can do whatever they want to your account and your money whenever they want.

I have stopped accepting PP altogether and have closed my account with them.

If you want to open a merchant account quickly and easily go to www.charge.com. There is no fee to open the account and it is done within 48 hours. They offer a "virtual terminal", html buttons, the works.

Don't like to be negative, but don't want to see what happened to me happen to anyone else. It can be devastating to a business.
gadgetgirlboutique

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: curious Reply with quote

dahawaiiankinestore

how do you process peoples cards from places like here and ebay?

can you send an email notice or something?
dahawaiiankinestore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of different options.

On eBay you send your own notice - merchant accounts aren't compatible with their shopping cart system.

I saw an eBay store that had actual purchase buttons in each of the listings. I thought that was really smart. Bypasses their checkout system altogether.

Here, you'll have to send an email to the customer. I give my customers 3 options.

1: Reply with their CC info and I will input it into my virtual terminal. It's a secure terminal provided by SecurePay. Some people are understandably uncomfortable with this since they don't know me from Adam and so don't want to give out that info. Hence the next 2 options.

2: Use a secure order page. I create this in my web design software. It has each of the items they are purchasing with the price clearly noted, the shipping charge, etc. and one "pay now" button they can click to submit their info through my merchant account. Again, a secure transaction.

3: Go directly to my website and purchase the items there if they haven't already put them in the shopping cart here (and if they're available on my website - I keep some items strictly for sites like this).

I have in my FAQs how to pay via credit/debit card.

Hope that was the info you were looking for.

Aloha,
Angel
plussizelingerie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what Gbuy's policy will be for "adult" items?

I was already told the eCrater will use googles new payment service on the site as well so maybe this will be a good option for us Wink
dahawaiiankinestore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the "content policy" direct from Google.

https://checkout.google.com/seller/content_policies.html

Is eCrater accepting Gbuy across the board or as a payment method we can check in the "accepted payment" section?

I think gBuy is way better than PP, but it does still have some issues. I was looking over the Terms last night and if you don't choose to integrate with API you have to go into your personal checkout within 3 days of every purchase and "charge" the person's card. Google only does an authorization for the amount. If you don't charge the card they won't guarantee the funds.

Then it takes approx. 5 days for it to post to your bank account.

The percentage they take is less than PP though and you can get free processing credit for using G adwords.

All in all - right on. It isn't the PP killer most people expected though. I hope they still have that in the works.
raspberrynights

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*post voluntarily deleted*

Last edited by raspberrynights on Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberrynights wrote:

deleted by request

Am I understanding that you shipped it WITHOUT payment first?

There's nothing you can do. That certainly is not PayPals fault at all.

Last edited by zickit on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, shipping overnight at the customer's request is a nice thing to offer but never do it until they've actually paid. It really doesn't have anything to do with PayPal though. It sounds like you would've done if they said they were mailing a check or money order as well.

But who knows, maybe they'll end up paying.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, there is a scam like this that happens but it involves the customer actually paying first and then making a chargeback through PayPal after the item arrives.
raspberrynights

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, poopsheet, I'm not without options.

I sent my delinquent a final invoice. If the bill isn't paid by August 7th (by law, I have to give her 30 days), I'm turning it over to a collection agency. I'll either get paid, or she'll get a "no pay" on her credit rating and I'll get a write-off.

Maybe if enough small sellers would turn the fraudulent chargebacks over to agencies to pursue (instead of merely rolling over and accepting PP's judgements), that huge gaping loophole might eventually be closed. It's worth a try.

Namaste,
Cheryl
aspencounty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal is notorious for allowing chargebacks. In 99.9% of all chargeback claims PayPal has decided in the buyers favor. Remember that PayPal is not a finanial institution and chargebacks cost them money. They are most certainly going to let the sellers take it in the shorts before they will. Scammers know this that's why it has become so pervasive on ebay and with PlayPal.

Unfortunately there is little sellers can do legally. The suggestion of turning them in to a collection agency or reporting them just isn't an option. Any Joe with an email address can use PayPal and just because they clicked a a few links on a website does not mean they entered into any form of a legal binding contract.

You can help protect yourself from chargebacks by making sure you do everything just right and even that is no guarentee. I use UPS and USPS a lot and always pay for a DC. UPS is very bad even when a DC is requested of just dropping the shipment off. I have lost track of the times I see things on the UPS delivery notice like " dropped at front porch, left in garage, left with neighbor". Even though I did what I'm supposed to, if the delivery person did not, I will loose in a chargeback claim. Unfortunately
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have lost track of the times I see things on the UPS delivery notice like " dropped at front porch, left in garage, left with neighbor".

Yep. That's the reason I'll never send anything UPS if I can help it. In my experience it's extremely common for them to leave packages on the doorstep without ever attempting to actually deliver them. If I'm lucky they'll ring the doorbell as they walk away but that's only if I'm lucky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: