eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

To whom it may concern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: To whom it may concern Reply with quote

Effective today, I am no longer accepting any orders where the gift address is different from the Stripe verified address. I have no way to differentiate between legitimate gift orders and fraudulent usage of the card. I am providing an FAQ based information to customers about how to achieve the desired result, while allowing the bank to confirm the gift address.

Thank you.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add a little color to what is happening, my Stripe account (for Cosmic Bricks) has had 8 consecutive failed payment attempts between May 23rd and May 27th. Today I received the first successful payment via Stripe (for that store) since then. And of course, it has a gift address on it. There may be no connection to the 8 failed attempts, but I don't believe in coincidences.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmic, I hope your customer understands, and they should but some people will use any excuse and anyone they don't know to blow up at when the time is ripe.

The sad thing is with many of these failed attempts, I suspect come from overextending their credit cards. They just don't have the money to pay for something. My hubby ran into a problem a couple weeks ago when a lady called asking for a piano tuning and she said the prior guy always let her pay $20 a month until it was paid off, so hubby told her to save those $20 a month until she had the total and then he would come and do the tuning. Not like you can really take back a tuning if they only pay the first $20! I always get leery of people wanting to buy an actual object or a service (an nonessential) and don't have the money and either want us to hold something or take payments. It isn't like we are a doctor or whatever and you didn't have time to save before going to see them (plus they have their own bill collectors!). Even the septic service guy wants paid in full in the event of a plumbing crisis. I can just see him agreeing to take $20 a month for over a year! Not in this town.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ? "any purchase with gift address will not have any return for any reason"
cosmicray

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Better-Way wrote:
Maybe ? "any purchase with gift address will not have any return for any reason"

This isn't about returns. This is about unauthorized use chargebacks. If you don't understand this, I cannot help you to understand it.
jonunscloset

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
A-Better-Way wrote:

This isn't about returns. This is about unauthorized use chargebacks. If you don't understand this, I cannot help you to understand it.

Just my opinion but I think it would have been more gracious of you to had stopped at "This is about unauthorized use chargebacks". I assume cosmicray was trying to be helpful as most people here do.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok I was thinking returns, but the addresses should match regardless. I have not signed up to Stripe so I don't really know how risky it might be.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
A-Better-Way wrote:

Well I should have said "refunds" , but then we don't have control over the till.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have not signed up to Stripe so I don't really know how risky it might be.

I don't see Stripe as being any more risky than PP. Many sellers refuse to use PP because of problems they have had or heard about. Stripe will have the same or similar thoughts about it. I use both as I have too many customers that refuse to use PP at all so I am glad that I can give my customers options. Also much nicer lately that Stripe is paying out quicker, at least for me it is. Very Happy

The deal with gift addresses on Stripe is the same as PP. On PP you are only supposed to ship to the PP address given and it does seem to be a good idea to follow the same principle with Stripe payments. Since I have a pretty low risk inventory, if a customer writes me ahead of time asking if I will ship to a gift address or another location I will usually go along. I had one customer that every spring would order a bunch of patterns and had me ship them to the Virgin Islands instead of her NYC address. I believe that she sewed her next seasons garments while on vacation, and for those that sew that would be a dream vacation sun, surf, and sewing! Very Happy Me shipping her patterns saved her luggage space when going there.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time being, I am PayPal only. I have no other viable option that solves this issue.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the good things about Google Checkout was that when a CC failed to pass, they tried to correct it. I had many sales saved that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: