eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Position in marketplace.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dockerills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Position in marketplace. Reply with quote

Hi, I've had a small presence on ecrater for a long while and my listings have produced a steady trickle of orders. I'm hoping now to expand somewhat. I've found that the site has changed quite a bit since I first listed. It's taken a bit of study but I think I've caught up on most things. There is one issue, however, that I can't quite work out. I'm finding that new listings are not appearing on page one of the marketplace category in which they are listed. From reading around the forum I thought that this might be related to payment of the marketplace fee but I've checked and I appear to be up to date. Can anyone enlighten me?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One change in recent months is the recommended size of your first photo. Your main photo needs to be at least 800px on one side to get the best placement in the marketplace. Google Shopping has also requested a larger size and they "recommend images at least 800 pixels in height and width". GS also says, "Submit the largest, full-size image you have for the product, up to 4MB file size."

Also, it can take up to, I think, 24 hours for a new item to be indexed for the marketplace search.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm finding that new listings are not appearing on page one of the marketplace category in which they are listed.

This is something I have never bothered with checking once I checked the first time to see how my things looked. Not saying you shouldn't be concerned or not look, but I guess I always figure that I have better things to do than check my placement in the ecrater marketplace. Instead I try to bring in customers direct to my store so that there won't be as many marketplace fees.
elpereles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "new" listings are still appearing in the site. The only difference is that eCrater is giving now priority to the photo size by date. So any new listing with little photos (less than 800px) will appear in the site, but not in the 1rst page.

In the beginning, I don't like the idea of photo size, but I noted that if you play the "game". It is more difficult lost visibility in the 1rst pages because many new sellers appear in the site making floods with the bulk listers. They don't read the forum or take time to read the terms of the site. So they don't know the photo requirement.

Also to be in the marketplace you must not have old debts from the marketplace fee.
Dockerills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
One change in recent months is the recommended size of your first photo. Your main photo needs to be at least 800px on one side to get the best placement in the marketplace. Google Shopping has also requested a larger size and they "recommend images at least 800 pixels in height and width". GS also says, "Submit the largest, full-size image you have for the product, up to 4MB file size."

Also, it can take up to, I think, 24 hours for a new item to be indexed for the marketplace search.

Thanks, I think that may have something to do with it. I've been rather out of it for the last year so I wasn't aware of any new Google picture requirements. My new listings have 600 x 600px pictures so it may be the cause. I was actually worried that my pictures on older listings were too large.

Funnily enough everything is appearing on Google US, UK & Au without any problem. I'm very pleased that I can access all three via Ecrater. It's a distinct advantage over another site I have used.
Dockerills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

This is something I have never bothered with checking once I checked the first time to see how my things looked. Not saying you shouldn't be concerned or not look, but I guess I always figure that I have better things to do than check my placement in the ecrater marketplace. Instead I try to bring in customers direct to my store so that there won't be as many marketplace fees.

I was just puzzled as they were appearing way down on page 20. It seemed odd to hide fresh stock away.

Don't worry I'll be sending customers direct to my store too. I'm just connecting up my blog http://tinplatetoys.blogspot.co.uk/ (which is fairly busy) to the store.
Dockerills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
The "new" listings are still appearing in the site. The only difference is that eCrater is giving now priority to the photo size by date. So any new listing with little photos (less than 800px) will appear in the site, but not in the 1rst page.

In the beginning, I don't like the idea of photo size, but I noted that if you play the "game". It is more difficult lost visibility in the 1rst pages because many new sellers appear in the site making floods with the bulk listers. They don't read the forum or take time to read the terms of the site. So they don't know the photo requirement.

Also to be in the marketplace you must not have old debts from the marketplace fee.

Thanks, I understand now. As it happens I keep two versions of my photos, large and small, so it won't cost me much extra effort. I'm just glad I found out before I'd listed thousands of items.
elpereles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time and the items were post some days ago. At least edit 5-10 items. My recommendation for future post/uploading. It is always post/upload not less than 3 items. So you always have some presence in the 1rst page of your category.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just puzzled as they were appearing way down on page 20. It seemed odd to hide fresh stock away.

I can't remember what you sell so don't know what category your items are going in, but supposing the multiple sellers with the same type of inventory are all listing at the same time with correct size pictures. Some of them are going to 'fall off' of the first page almost immediately. And as another poster mentioned if you are unfortunate enough to list your things right before a bulk upload gets approved, you are going to be really pushed down. I guess that is why I can't get hot and bothered about my placement on the first page of the marketplace. It isn't a position that you can hold for any length of time. I just try to have my titles good enough that those that know what they want will find them in an initial search whether on my store site or the main marketplace.
PrimroseCafe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like that Ebay must be paying a higher AdWords fee for Google Shopping than eCRATER, at least in some categories.
In "collectibles", eCRATER disappear under "Sellers", where "clothing and accessories" still seems to be showing some of eCRATER's sellers.
I have also seen a big difference in search results between Google Chrome and DuckDuckGo, which is possible because of Google Crome cookies.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dockerills wrote:

Remember, this is the eCRATER marketplace you are talking about.

My best understanding: When someone searches there, the results are grouped into 3 parts. The first group is those where the default image is at least 800px in one direction. The second group is those where neither dimension is 800px or greater. The third group is those with no image at all. Within each group, they appear to be ordered by date added (which is probably the same as the listing number in the URL).

So, If you have a listing that is appearing in the second group (because of the image size), uploading a better image will move it to the first group, but will not move it to the front of the first group. The only thing that would do that, is to relist the item, which is a bad move, as it will break many external links to that item.

When someone imports a store from eBay, the listings will participate in whichever group they belong to, based on the image imported. Since they get new listing numbers, they appear early in search results.

But keep in mind, that this is my impression from watching various search results. There may be other less-obvious details in play.
Dockerills

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help, it's saved me having to revise a lot of listings later. I've upped my picture size to 1000 x 1000px. I thought I'd build in a margin in case Google change their specifications later. Everthing now seems to be working as expected.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess that is why I can't get hot and bothered about my placement on the first page of the marketplace.

Agree. It isn't needed get mad about not being in the 1rst page. I always use it as motivation to post/list stuff. Not being lazy. Laughing

As far I noted in eCrater. The 1rst page helps hits in the 1rst days of the items. After that it only matters your tittle and descriptions to get traffic. For me, it is very rare that my newest post/listed stuff make a sale.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: