eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Sale Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elegancep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Sale Issue Reply with quote

Hello! I had a buyer purchase a top from me on June 10 and they checked money order as payment. I haven't received any funds from this buyer and they didn't email me when they were going to send the money order. How do you send a buyer an invoice because I don't see that option. Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to make one through PP. But don't be surprised if you don't hear anything back. Good luck!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most MO orders never follow through with me unless they approach me first to ask if I will take one. After the last so called MO order where the buyer asked if I took them and didn't tell me where she was and I forgot to ask her and she lived in Canada, the MO was worthless for me as the bank would have charged more than the MO was to take a foreign MO even though written in US funds. At that point I took down the MO option for even those in the USA.

That being said. For next time if this happens, YOU have to be proactive. As soon as you see the order, write them a nicely worded, professional looking email stating how long you will wait to receive the MO (I used to waist 1o days to give them time to get the MO and send it) and whether or not you will hold the item while waiting for it to be sent or if someone come along with a PP payment or whatever, you will go ahead and sell it. Tell the the exact day that the hold will be lifted. Give them the correct name to make the MO out to and your correct address. Unless you have a business checking account in your store's name, most banks will not cash a MO or check made out to Joe's Bar and Grill unless Joe has a business account with that name. Also ask them to let let you know when they send the MO so you can be on the look out for it.

My last bit of info is personal to me, but I do not babysit customers. I tell them in the email that this will be the only email reminder they will get and you will not send out reminders as you like to treat all your customers as adults. Then forget about it, unless you are holding the item for them. At the end of the wait time and no MO, release the item back into circulation and no need to write them. At least this is basically how I handle MO. At this point, I would consider it a lost sale, but I NEVER delete orders that weren't apdi for so that in three months and they write to you whining about where is their stuff, you can easily see that you never got payment for it which is why it wasn't sent. Of course, if you still have it and they want it, send them a PP invoice.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sale Issue Reply with quote

elegancep wrote:
I had a buyer purchase a top from me

If the customer didn't pay for the item, it wasn't purchased.

elegancep wrote:
they checked money order as payment. I haven't received any funds from this buyer and they didn't email me when they were going to send the money order.

Did you communicate with the customer about how you handle money orders...and how many days you allow to receive a money order? Did you request that the customer notify you when the money order is sent? Do your store terms include information on purchasing from your store with a money order?

elegancep wrote:
How do you send a buyer an invoice because I don't see that option.

You compose an invoice, like in a word processing program, and mail it to the customer. eCrater does not provide an invoicing option for sellers.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wasn't thinking right. Thank you FoxandFish. Much better answer. Very Happy
elegancep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Sale Issue Reply with quote

It's located under my orders. Since this incident happened, I will remove the money order option. I had it up there to increase my sales, but it did not work. Thank you all for your replies.
FoxAndFish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sale Issue Reply with quote

elegancep wrote:
It's located under my orders.

Yes, the order tab in the store admin is where orders are recorded. That does not mean the item was purchased.

elegancep wrote:
Since this incident happened, I will remove the money order option. I had it up there to increase my sales, but it did not work.

Each seller can handle payment options as he/she chooses. But what is the purpose of removing the money order option? If a customer orders but does not pay by money order, you lose nothing. If a customer orders and does pay by money order, then you made a sale.

I get a few money order payments per year, from customers who for whatever reason do not want to use an electronic payment. It costs me absolutely nothing other than a few minutes to send an email with money order payment details. If the money order comes in, fine. If it does not, no problem.

The option works. It's the customer who did not follow thru. Customers also sometimes do not follow thru with PayPal, as the many many threads on that topic indicate.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This also suggests you have not activated Stripe. If Stripe were active, MO would not be available.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since this incident happened, I will remove the money order option. I had it up there to increase my sales, but it did not work.

One incident of a customer NOT paying via MO is not enough to know whether the MO option works or not to increase sales. Actually because of the way our stores are set up and we can't read potential buyers minds, you can never actually know if something like a MO option increased sales or not. We just don't have the data. Like I mentioned before, someone that wants to use that MO option will, many times, write and ask if they don't see the option. I only get 1-2 MO payments a year, so I don't think it is a big barrier to sales for me, but it depends on the buyer.

The majority of customer prefer to use electronic payments, however a few might want to use a MO and so it is nice if you give them the option. I think though, your best chance of increasing sales is making sure you are signed up for Stripe. So far this month 20% of my ecrater orders have been paid for via Stripe. Zero paid with MO. I like having the Stripe option for the rabid PP haters out there.
elpereles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello elegancep.

It was a money order (MO) payment. It isn't needed to go crazy or paranoiac. The 1rst thing you need is to add some Terms related to MO orders. You can even be a little "aggressive" with your terms. For example "I will not hold items in order paid with MO" or "For MO payments you must contact me in 48 hours for details and payment no more than 7 days.". And 2nd never forget communication.

MoonwishesStore, it wasn't your fault. As far I understand there isn't an eCrater "Canada" and the seller location is post in the old/new versions of the sites. Not matter the age or the Internet/International ignorance from that buyer. It is difficult to believe. It isn't excuse for that buyer. It was just a piece sh@#$! One of those fools making productive people lost their time. Wink

About MO. Long time I don't see one. I forget how it looks paper payment. Cool

PD
Lets be clear. I don't have issues with non-payers or "potential" buyers. Only with those ones making me lost a lot of time in their BS. Laughing
elegancep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up with stripe and had one sale with it within 48 hours after signing up. Also, I removed the money order option and I come back here everyday to remove something because it sold on ebay. Thank you all for your help.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elperles, I think she knew from the get go that she wasn't telling me all she needed to, just by her responses when I did catch on to the fact that she was in Canada. Her "well I already bought the MO." when I told her it wouldn't the right amount. Notice she had bought the MO but hadn't actually sent it yet! Other things in her emails seemed a bit weird as well. I think she told me a couple different days that she was sending it, and then the PO franking showed she mailed it even later than she said she had. Just because she was playing games didn't mean I needed too as I don't worked that way

I hate it that people assume we are to stupid to look at the franking to see when it was accepted by the PO. Multiple letters, plus going to the bank to double check that they wouldn't take a foreign MO even if in US funds. I had already sent the purchase (thankfully it wasn't much) because I do what I say I will to customers, but the weather here was so bad, I could barely get out of my house for weeks and couldn't get to the bank. So yep, lots of lost time for absolutely NO profit, but a loss. The cost of the item, the cost of packaging, the postage, and the cost of not being paid at all, plus about 1 hour more or less dealing with the whole thing.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: