eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

A couple of questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humfreybearscloset

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: A couple of questions Reply with quote

I just signed up for ecrater a couple of days ago, but had a couple of questions:

(1) The weight column on the shipping matrix where it says 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. doesn't mean that those are the actual weights do they? For instance if I wanted something like this: 1 - 1 lb., 2 - 2 lbs., 4 - 3 lbs., etc.
(2) Since I'm using the weight-based method, how would I enter in something like 1 lb., 7.9 oz or would just rounding it up to 3 lbs be better?

Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) It depends. Many people use those to indicate actual weights. Some people use those for something called synthetic weight. Search the community for 'synthetic weight' for better explanations.

(2) You would enter a real number as the weight in pounds (but see above). For example, a 1-pound 8-ounce package would be entered as 1.5. Remember, this is the packed weight.
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sell different items and to International destinies. I recommend create a "custom" Matrix. It can take time, but it helps a lot.
humfreybearscloset

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
(1) It depends. Many people use those to indicate actual weights. Some people use those for something called synthetic weight. Search the community for 'synthetic weight' for better explanations.

(2) You would enter a real number as the weight in pounds (but see above). For example, a 1-pound 8-ounce package would be entered as 1.5. Remember, this is the packed weight.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll search for synthetic weight. Hopefully it'll be easy to understand. Wink

I guess I should've specified package instead of item. I have weighed all my items along with the packing material. Sorry I didn't clarify.
humfreybearscloset

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpereles wrote:
If you sell different items and to International destinies. I recommend create a "custom" Matrix. It can take time, but it helps a lot.

Most of my items will be the same, but will all weigh over 1 lb. I'm also not shipping to foreign countries at the moment. Is there a tutorial on how to set up a custom matrix?
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No tutorial. It is more like trial and error method. Wink

Years ago, I began in eCrater never understood the Matrix. One day (after some years in eCrater) reading suggestion in a topic about the theme. I took some serious time to test it using a "custom" method. It isn't perfect, but it worked. I saw the results because I began to receive more combine orders. And less/zero headaches dealing with refunds. For Domestic (USA) orders works near perfect. For International has some issues, but it is a lot better than before.

I recommend post/list some items like 3 to 5. Then using the checkout without making the order. Test it over and over. Until you get a result that satisfies you. I suggest use Excel or similar spreadsheet program to back up your Matrix table. If you are shipping Domestic and it is technically the same item. It will be more easy.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the matrix exclusively. It all starts to make sense when you realize that you can make those columns mean anything you want! I do quite a few combined shipping and the postage always works out except for a few overly heavy patterns, but rather than charge more for them, I just take a small hit on the shipping.

For me the matrix's first column is equal to 1 item, the second column 2. The third columns and so on that all jump every 2 numbers I set for the average cost to ship the higher amount of items. I also for the US matrix (can't do it anymore on the international one) have after the sixth column the same amount that is the cost for me of shipping via Priority mail. Once someone buys 6 or more items from me, the savings of PP fees, packaging supplies, etc. it is cheaper to send things Priority than one at a time. If someone bought 100 patterns from me, the most they would pay for shipping is the Priority flat rate envelope rate. That gives me a chance to give my customers with the bigger orders a bit of a discount and is a huge savings for me over selling 100 items one at a time. All my weights are set at 1 unless it is something like a book that I set with the right weight on the weight line in the listing to match that amount of postage that I need in my matrix (or close enough). I've never had a problem. I remember struggling to figure out the matrix and after 2 days the light bulb went off and I couldn't figure out why I hadn't seen it before! Very Happy
humfreybearscloset

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply MoonwishesStore. I had planned on listing several different types of items that use different methods of shipping - priority, standard post, first class & media mail. How do I incorporate each type of shipping method into the matrix? That's what has me totally bewildered. I don't want to have to set up a store for each type of item I sell. It just wouldn't be practical.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@humfreybearscloset

That is where the fun begins. Whatever shipping methods you decide to use, have to be applicable to all items in your store. In other words, if you decide to turn on media mail, then all items in that store have to be able to legitimately shipped via media mail. There is no way to say this item gets media mail, and that one does not, when both items are in the same store.

If you have large numbers of both types of items, you may want to consider opening 2 stores. If eCRATER has a weakness, this is it.

Also, the matrix, in and of itself, does not speak to a specific shipping method. The numbers you enter there are based on your decision of what shipping methods you are going to actually use. My remarks about Media Mail are specific to turning on USPS Calculated shipping, and selecting Media Mail and a customer choice. Do not give the customer the ability to select Media Mail unless everything in the store is a valid Media Mail shippable item.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further comment on what Cosmicray said. With the matrix, nothing shows as being shipped by any particular manner, even what I send via Priority. If I'm shipping a book (which I don't have many listed), I figure out what the media mail cost would be and plug it in for weight which ever column in my matrix is closest to that shipping cost. Same with Priority. If something needs to ship Priority then I plug in a 6 weight on the listing as in my matrix anything that has a six weight or adds up to the six weight is charged an amount to cover 1# Priority shipping. Until I actually send the item, the buyer doesn't know what way I am shipping their item/s. I used to have a book store and just didn't get the sales to justify it and I had the matrix there set up for a matrix for that store all with different amounts than my pattern store. But this works for me and I've been doing it for 6 years now.

Those that have the calculated shipping are just asking for trouble when they give a whole list of shipping options, as people being what they are, they will always want the cheapest and so pick media mail, or if media isn't an option will pick the flat rate envelope even though what they are ordering will in no way fit in an envelope! If I couldn't use the matrix, I would use fixed shipping on all my items and forget the combined shipping option unless a customer asks for an invoice before buying so you can calculate it ahead of time since I don't want to be giving refunds of minor amounts of over paid shipping costs.

Some will apparently do that for just about any overage, forgetting that their is more to shipping and handling than just the postage. Nor do they take into account the 30 cent refund fee that they will pay. When was the last time you ordered from a conventional store on line and there shipping and handling was set by the total cost of the order no matter if you buy three pairs of earrings or 3 BBQ grills both for the same price and same shipping cost? Did the company refund you any postage money? Of course not! Anyhow, the most important thing to keep in mind is be logical in setting up the matrix and tweak it if you need to and when sipping costs go up every year, you only have to change numbers in one spot, flat rate you have to change all your listings.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphreybear, did you close your store? When I clicked on WWW on your post, it came up with no such seller.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it.
humfreybearscloset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggiethehousecat wrote:
Humphreybear, did you close your store? When I clicked on WWW on your post, it came up with no such seller.

I had a fit of frustration & did close it, but after sleeping on it I decided that I was being rash so I will try again.
humfreybearscloset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cosmicray & MoonwishesStore

I don't have enough of certain items to warrant a store for each type. When I start listing my items I'll start with free shipping until I can figure out the matrix. Maybe I'll get the hang of it one of these days. Wink
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, sorry you were scared away by the shipping. If you are from the U.S., it might work better for you to use USPS calculated and only select First Class Parcel (offered if the packed weight is 13oz or less) and Priority Mail. You will need a backup in case the USPS website times out, but you don't have to use the matrix. You could add a shipping price for each item, then if the USPS times out, the system would look to the matrix (blank) then to the fixed price for the item.

Personally I don't like this system because you would have to update every item when the Postal Service increases their prices. However, you might like the system better. You also have the option of using just the fixed price shipping and forget about the matrix and calculated. However, I don't think the fixed price shipping works for international orders.

There are lots of options, you just have to think about what will work best for your store. Please feel free about asking questions. We may give more info than you want sometimes, but the folks that post regularly really do want to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: