eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Cracker Barrel Employee Fired For Giving Away Cornbread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Cracker Barrel Employee Fired For Giving Away Cornbread Reply with quote

Rules Are Rules

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/employment-military/cracker-barrel-employee-fired-giving-away-cornbrea/ngWpp/
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I have to side with the store in this case. The man doesn't seem to understand that the store exists to sell product not give it away. If I had to make a guess it would be that the man thinks store rules do not apply to him no matter how many warnings he gets. It makes him feel good to give stuff away even though it isn't coming out of his pocket. Perhaps he will be happier working at the food bank or a mission that serves free meals to the poor.

I've never heard of Panera but think their program of pay what you want is one destined for bankruptcy.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the worker received five warnings then he was destined to be let go ... either at Panera or his next jobs.

Panera is a fairly high end restaurant, at least in the Silicon Valley. I think the last thing they want is for homeless people to come into their fancy store. There is a public safety net that gives homeless people food and shelter and medical aid.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Panera Bread since I had to stop working. It was a pricey place and sure wasn't one of three locations that let you pay what you want. I think a lunch meal back then was about $8. They sell soups and different breads and the bread is good, but just cheaper to pickup from the bakeries of the high end grocery stores.

I see nothing wrong with firing an employee if he is violating the rules of employement that is why there are rules. It may seem silly to some, but too many these days seem to think that they aren't subject to others rules.

When I was a prison nurse, one of the inmates told me why he had been arrested. He had held up a McDonalds for FOOD, sat down and ate it and then told them to call the police. He did it because he was hungry, but if an employee had just given him the food, he would have had to walk back out into the night and be hungry again in the morning as he was homeless. With the arrest came "3 squares and a cot" plus some psychiatric help which this guy needed. So for him in that moment in time being arrested for a cheesburger was the best thing that could have happened to him that winter. Remember I live in an area that got 15 feet of snow last winter! No place to be homeless.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have homeless shelters for those that want it. Many of the homeless people have mental problems such as paranoia and they will not conform to any rules whatsoever. Many of the homeless are on lam or run from the law.
It is a sad situation but there are places for the homeless go if they want to go.

theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schoolyearbooks, if you think homeless shelters abound, call a shelter in your area and ask if they have any spare bed. Many homeless people prefer to sleep outdoors (safer, cleaner) in good weather but in bad weather, the shelters turn them away in droves.

But the man fired for giving away food wasn't homeless or mentally afflicted. It also didn't sound like the man asking for the condiments was homeless, just a mooch. He was preparing fish and wanting the condiments. Homeless people wouldn't have much way to prepare fish except by camp fire. Fish is perfectly fine without condiments.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was homeless for a while and have no mental problems. All the people in the shelter were all just regular women who had a turn of bad luck or were trying to get away from abusive mates.

I had my second and third strokes fairly close together. I couldn't remember things long enough to learn a new job. No job, no money. No money, no rent. I didn't have any choices other then the shelter. Especially after my car broke down.

Just my take on the homeless.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It was a pricey place"

We got one close by, it's like a starbucks for bread. never been there never will. (politics).

Road my bike past that place for years, but will give them credit for trying to make fresh bread each day.
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammysSupplies wrote:
I was homeless for a while and have no mental problems. All the people in the shelter were all just regular women who had a turn of bad luck or were trying to get away from abusive mates.

I had my second and third strokes fairly close together. I couldn't remember things long enough to learn a new job. No job, no money. No money, no rent. I didn't have any choices other then the shelter. Especially after my car broke down.

Just my take on the homeless.

Whoa, That's just too much reality.
STOP having strokes dang it all Cool
Just waiting for my demise, I keep feeling God is saving me for something after I got spanked by a car while walking my dog, threw me, but my terrorized broken smashed elbow is performing much better than my doctor thought . I mean if you seen the xrays , it hurts !!, but I have full movement, no pain (yet) amazing.
(And would have been amputated under obamacare, thank God for our car insurance, $32,000 operation, government would have wrote me off, too old, too thin, too fat yada yada yada)

Last edited by A-Better-Way on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting off topic here, but I am doing pretty good right now. I get to watch watched shows 2 or 3 times before they look like reruns...lol
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammysSupplies wrote:
Getting off topic here, but I am doing pretty good right now. I get to watch watched shows 2 or 3 times before they look like reruns...lol

Vitamin E might help.
Keeps cells more elastic, blood vessels, skin, but also is used by the brain.
Only eat oil, not anything that stays solid at room temps.
Probably live to 290 years. Very Happy

They fed piles of oil to epilepsy patients (way more than normal) and seizures went way down. Face it, our brains are needing more oil.
Toss in some vitamin E, you might be the next new memory cube.

I don't know, but you seem to be one of the better sellers.

Rock on !!!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a public safety net that gives homeless people food and shelter and medical aid.

Really?
Quote:
They have homeless shelters for those that want it ...

LMAO ... I've got to ask ... have you ever tried to get in one?
My daughter was homeless in California ... the cop dropped her at a closed bus station at 2 in the morning on a coldest day ever - it was snowing! There she sat in a t-shirt with nothing to eat or drink.

I'm just going to take a guess that you only know what you read. You have no real experience in this matter.

Quote:
Panera is a fairly high end restaurant, at least in the Silicon Valley. I think the last thing they want is for homeless people to come into their fancy store.

LMAO.
Panera bread is a fast food place equal to McDonalds. fancy? Not any I've been in. BUT then again FANCY is a world that has different ranking. Fancy compared to the hot dogs at 7-11, maybe. Fancy compared to Hal's Bar and Grill, ( http://www.yelp.com/biz/hals-bar-and-grill-venice ) I think NOT.
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in California and the people here care about the underprivileged and homeless.
The shelters are nice and if they overflow in the few days a year when the temperatures are very cold then they open the armories and if they fill up they put them in hotels.
I realize that many states do not care at all about the homeless and I feel sorry for needy people living in those states.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

school-yearbooks wrote:
I live in California and the people here care about the underprivileged and homeless.
The shelters are nice and if they overflow in the few days a year when the temperatures are very cold then they open the armories and if they fill up they put them in hotels.
I realize that many states do not care at all about the homeless and I feel sorry for needy people living in those states.

hhhhmmm My daughter was in California
she didn't qualify to be in a homeless shelter

I'm still thinking YOU never experienced the homeless seen
school-yearbooks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there are limits to qualify to live in a homeless shelters, otherwise people would live there when they didn't need to live there.

I have never lived in a shelter but I have known many people that have. The tax rate in California is super high and much of that money goes to needy. There is also section eight housing where people get very nice apartments for about 20% of their neighbors rate.

People complain about high taxes but those taxes are needed to help the needy get back on their feet.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: