eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Analytics, hit counts, organic vs shopping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Google Analytics, hit counts, organic vs shopping Reply with quote

When I look at Google Analytics, I see that one of my stores has had roughly 2k page views over the last 30 days. When I look at the eCrater products page(s), I see that the hit count is ticking up by about 2 hits per day per listing. Listings which are not new or are on hold do not exhibit this pattern. The 2 hits per listing per day has been going on for many months.

That store has 3400-3500 listings, of which ~1200 are on hold or are marked 'used'. In theory then, I'm getting around 130k 'hits' (2200*2*30) against that store during a 30 day period (plus a smattering of hits for the used and on-hold items).

2K page views vs 130k hits is a large discrepancy. I do not believe that GA is missing that many, so it seems that there is a fair amount of something that GA chooses not to count. It was my impression that eCrater was filtering crawlers.

Some of this subject was discussed here, about 3-4 years back ...
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=26056

This post discusses a change made in 2011 to remove crawlers from counting against hits ...
http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=26756

The other question, is how do I dissect the GA report to tell me what came in from the marketplace (presumably via GPS) and what came from non-GPS paths.

Any thoughts ?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post made in 2011 says eCrater is excluding "crawlers of major search engines like Google, Bing and Yahoo". That leads me to think there are other "crawlers" that are not excluded such as crawlers from newer and/or smaller search engines and crawlers from shopping sites like Find.com.

Quote:
The other question, is how do I dissect the GA report to tell me what came in from the marketplace (presumably via GPS) and what came from non-GPS paths.
I have a possible way, but I don't know for sure. In Google Analytics I look at the data from Acquisition -> All Traffic and click on Google / organic. Then I go up to Secondary dimension tab and select Behavior -> Landing Page. This will show the first page viewed by a visitor. All of our item pages in our store contain the code for GA tracking. All our item pages seen in the marketplace contain the code for our GA tracking AND eCrater's GA tracking. When someone comes to our item page from Google Shopping, they are going to see that page on the marketplace. Looking at the landing page data, you'll see some of the pages contain additional data such as the keywords used or a notation that reads "gps=1&id+52211034499". I have speculated that the hits to pages containing the additional info "gps..." are located on the marketplace and are coming directly from Google Shopping.

What do you think? Is this a way to tell the difference in hits from the main Google search and Google Product Shopping?
A-Better-Way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a well based deduction in my opinion.

EDIT
Yep I see the GPS

Last edited by A-Better-Way on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SheilaDeesPostcards

For all we know, Amazon may be crawling eCrater now, to obtain comparative prices. Somewhere I recall reading that Amazon auto-adjusts prices on huge numbers of items every day.
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try always to focus in Google Analytics number of "visitors" and not the eCrater hit because it looks like "page views".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: