eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Is more than 15 Attributes Allowed? If so, Is It Encouraged?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evirtualz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Is more than 15 Attributes Allowed? If so, Is It Encouraged? Reply with quote

Hello eCrater Dudes,

I'm a one man band electronic business owner currently just diving into ecrater and its offerings. I'm so researching and testing that I haven't even had the chance to set up my site, let alone add products. I have managed to set up one test product and I noticed something amazing. I increase my product visibility by adding Google Attributes, "Keywords" if you will, to my products. Now this is where things get difficult. Once again I sell electronics and such, so I can go on and on with my attributes. I noticed ecrater is compatible with about 50+ attributes, and about 30 off those are compatible with just one of my products. Additionally I've noticed when I leave the "Attribute" tab to go back to my "Basic" tab. I can see the attributes listed in this style: [!brand:Samsung!] back to back with one another. So....

My glorious question is, Can users manually add more than 15 attributes when adding or editing a listing, and will they be received by Google correctly?

If so this takes the Cake on eCrater, as being a dominant seller's tool.
Thanks for the help, I look forward to meeting all of you's!
Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to eCrater. I've never heard of a top limit on the number of Google Attributes you can use, but you can only use the Attributes listed when you click on the blue ?. A few pointers regarding Attributes.
1)Yes, you can add them at the end of the listing (the only way I list them). The only space allowed with this method is within the value. For example, [!brand:Black & Decker!] space is allowed within the value BUT you can not have a space anywhere else between the brackets.

2) The Attribute Name MUST be entered in lower case. Capital letters can be used in Attribute Value.

3) The Atribute Name can ONLY be used ONCE (1). If there are more than one values separate them with a space | space. For example, [!color:black | white!]

4) It would probably be to your advantage to list the required attributes before you listed the optional ones. You will need to add brand and either a upc or mpn. If you have both a upc and mpn (manufacture's part number), use both.

5) Not sure where you saw "about 50+ attributes". I only counted about 2 doz on the blue ? screen in our admin. If you are looking at the Summary of attributes on Google, remember many of the attributes are submitted by eCrater for us based on the information we entered when we add our products.
evirtualz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Attributes Limit? Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,

I appreciate the info you provided, but it still leaves me a bit skeptical. I haven't heard of a limit neither but seeing's though ecrater only gives us 15 slots on the attributes tab, Im not sure I want to risk any lessened traffic, suspensions, or punishments from adding a 16th. I am opened to any experience with this problem, Have you actually listed more than 15 attributes yourself? and About the the "space | space" recommendation. are you saying my attribute should look like this "Samsung | Galaxy | Smartphone" Is doing so better than just "Samsung Galaxy Smartphone" or how about "Samsung, Galaxy, Smartphone"? This is a bit tricky.

and about the attributes, I have just counted them and there is a total of 54 compatible with ecrater. To view them all, I clicked on the first Tab "Basic Tab" and then click on the the First Blue Question Mark Box. I can send you the complete list of them if it helps.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are over thinking attributes, Just use brand in the first column and
Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket in the second, color in the first and black in the second. Use the attributes that people would use while looking for that item. You probably do not not want Cash on Delivery, it is a very expensive USPS option.

The Specifications you listed on the Samsung Galaxy S 3 S III would work great as attributes

Last edited by SammysSupplies on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
evirtualz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,

I pretty much got a good understanding of what i am doing. I know how to use keywords and attributes effectively and this is why I plan to use as much as I can, and "what people will search for" so I'd encourage you to do the same. I appreciate the help, but the only problem I need help answering is if there's a limit on ecrater's attributes and will Google accept more than 15.
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to contact eCrater about . http://www.ecrater.com/contact.php
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting where you saw the list of Google Attributes. I haven't clicked on the Blue ? you mentioned in years. Normally, folks click on the Google Attribute tab and then click on the blue ? beside the table. I was puzzled by your statement that you saw "50+ attributes". I believe the chart you are seeing dates from around 2008. I'm going to send an email to eCrater CS because I think they may have overlooked that "?". Please click on the Google Attribute tab and look at the information provided on that blue "?" and read the first part of the section "Promote My Store" in your Admin under "More Options". (The two attributes genre and featured_product have been discontinued based on a statement on Google's summary page.) The link given in that section, Google Product Search Attributes, goes to the updated page Products Feed Specification on Google. I would also strongly suggest a review of Summary of attribute requirements. NOTE: Any Google Attribute shown in either of these two links as being "required" that are not shown in your eCrater admin on the blue "?' page available on the Google Attribute Tab, are submitted automatically for you by eCrater based on the information you provide when you list the product.

Quote:
Have you actually listed more than 15 attributes yourself? and About the the "space | space" recommendation. are you saying my attribute should look like this "Samsung | Galaxy | Smartphone" Is doing so better than just "Samsung Galaxy Smartphone" or how about "Samsung, Galaxy, Smartphone"?
I've never sold a product in any of my 4 eCrater stores that had more than 6 attributes. The separation pipe I mentioned was to be used when you have more than one value for a single Attribute. In the example you gave, Samsung would be the brand so the other words would not be used. This would be used when there are two ISBN numbers, both the 10 and 13 digit numbers. At one time, Google requested values be separated by a comma, but earlier this year they changed it to a pipe. Do they still accept values separated by a comma? I have no idea, but I'm not spending time changing mine.

Please remember, we are adding the Google Attributes at the request of Google Shopping. We have been told they have NO effect on the regular Google organic Search. If we don't at least supply the required Attributes, our item will not be listed in Google Shopping (that was once called Froogle and then Google Product Base before it's current name.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SheilaDeesPostcards wrote:
Please remember, we are adding the Google Attributes at the request of Google Shopping. We have been told they have NO effect on the regular Google organic Search. If we don't at least supply the required Attributes, our item will not be listed in Google Shopping (that was once called Froogle and then Google Product Base before it's current name.

While true, are these attributes perhaps also being used for feeds to other shopping search engines ? I've never heard that mentioned outright, but we do see traffic/sales (occasionally) from other sources. In the back of my mind I seem to recall once seeing a URI tag of bs=1 in Google Analytics (presumably Bing Shopping).
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point cosmicray and thanks for pointing out that information. I would love to see eCrater do a feed to other locations and it would be logical to use the same information.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that there are 50 actual attributes you can use, but I think the limit on values that go with an attribute is 10, at least that is all I ever put in and for some things with a lot of values to attributes, I count to be sure I didn't go over ten so I think that must be a habit from way back.

It depends of course on the actual attribute how may values you would find. There should only be one brand, one UPC, one manufacturer number, etc.

Google has cut way back on acceptable attributes since we first started and even if they are still in our listings; ecrater doesn't submit them as they are worthless. So you could end up wasting a large amount of time trying to list 50+ attributes and values.

Yes, this is supposedly the way that Google is supposed to use to present items from searches that are done, but Google is being a big fat monster these days, actually for the last couple of years, and doesn't seem to always show off your stuff no matter what you do with them or no matter what they are supposed to do with them.

Your best bet is do the basic attributes and then make sure your actual listing has all the keywords possible in your description of the item..
SammysSupplies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think with eCrater only giving a certain amount of boxes for attributes, that is the limit. But, of course I couldn't think up multiples of things to fill them up with. There is just so many ways to describe an object.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: